Working at imam muhammad bin saud university

Hi,

Has anyone worked for the above university? Where are the teacher accommodation situated? Supposedly it is two bedroom villas?

I am flying out at the end of the week, will start as an English Teacher and would like to know more people and get some information.

hi

i don't have any idea of what u are asking about , but i was one of Imam Uni student , good work environment , good facilities

i wish u all the best luck

I highly doubt you'll get a villa.  Probably be sharing a 2BR apt. like the ESL teachers at the other universities (but I hope I'm wrong and you get the villa :)

Would that be in a compound?

Thanx.

dogninja wrote:

Would that be in a compound?

Thanx.

Yes but not a western compound.  A segregated University compound, most likely.

This is a rendering I found online.

http://alfouzan.apcosaudi.com/uploads/projectphotos/4/imamhousing.jpg

just heard from the recruiter, supposedly its called al khaleej complex, sulaimaniah.

Any info?

dogninja wrote:

just heard from the recruiter, supposedly its called al khaleej complex, sulaimaniah.

Any info?

That's a far cry from a villa in a western compound lol 

You need to be VERY specific and keep pounding away to be sure you get accurate information.  Where you live will have a lot to do with how happy/unhappy you are here.

Hi,

I am Salah Kamil, from Jeddah, i moved last month to Riyadh, if need more information, please contact me at salah.kamil (at) gmail at any time.

welcom to riyadh

Alliecat, could you please be more specific? What are the conditions like? Where is it situated and why is it so so bad. Should I rather opt to rent an apartment in a compound or dq. Supposedly all the al khaleej teachers are housed in this building.

dogninja wrote:

Alliecat, could you please be more specific? What are the conditions like? Where is it situated and why is it so so bad. Should I rather opt to rent an apartment in a compound or dq. Supposedly all the al khaleej teachers are housed in this building.

I didn't say it was bad.  But just know that you won't have the freedom here that you're used to, that's all.  At least you're not female--if you can believe it, single women have a curfew! :D

If, after you get here you don't like it and don't mind spending the money, look around.  I've seen ads in the classifieds om EB by guys who have rented villas and are looking for roommates.

Alliecat,

I have one or two female friends within the city, are they allowed to visit at the apartments? If not, I will start looking out for different accommodation now.

dogninja wrote:

Alliecat,

I have one or two female friends within the city, are they allowed to visit at the apartments? If not, I will start looking out for different accommodation now.

Absolutely not.  You'll be in segregated university housing.  Think about it:  are you allowed to visit THEM?  I'm assuming they are teachers and are in the same segregated housing situation.

could you possibly direct me to rental of a compound, I do have a housing allowance of 1500 riyals but will probably have to pay some in.

dogninja wrote:

could you possibly direct me to rental of a compound, I do have a housing allowance of 1500 riyals but will probably have to pay some in.

1500/mo. ?!?!?  Okay, now that I've gotten up off the floor ... !! 

First off, it's very difficult to get into a compound until you're here, on the ground.  You can't arrange anything in advance.

Secondly, you have to pay 6 mos. rent in advance.

Third, 1500 is nothing.  The cheapest 1 bedroom around is minimum 60,000-70,000 per year.

You'd do well to brush up on this stuff.. just use the google custom search box (upper right of the screen) and type in 'compounds riyadh' and then read the threads.

Best of luck, and I mean that sincerely :)

dogninja wrote:

Has anyone worked for the above university? Where are the teacher accommodation situated? Supposedly it is two bedroom villas?

I am flying out at the end of the week, will start as an English Teacher and would like to know more people and get some information.

If you're leaving in the next few days, it's rather late to be asking for info about the work situation and housing; that should have happened before you accepted Al Khaleej's offer.

Anyway, as Alliecat stated, you have to be in country to even rent a place.  And with a monthly housing allowance of a measly 1500 SAR, your options are to 1) take the employer-provided housing, 2) find a cheapie place and make up the difference out-of-pocket, or 3) find a place and get a roommate.  Good luck!

I was assured that the residence in which I would be lodged is a fully western compound, private but western nonetheless. Only after much pressure and inquiry did I receive any form of name or detail. Furthermore it seems as if even this site has very little detail about the various employers, benefits they provide and accommodation provided, despite the links provided.

dogninja wrote:

Furthermore it seems as if even this site has very little detail about the various employers, benefits they provide and accommodation provided, despite the links provided.

And why should we?  You act as if *we* are somehow falling short; shouldn't you be looking into the mirror regarding who dropped the ball here? 

Have you at least checked out the international teachers' forum at DavesESLCafe, a dedicated site for ESL professionals?

dogninja wrote:

I was assured that the residence in which I would be lodged is a fully western compound, private but western nonetheless. Only after much pressure and inquiry did I receive any form of name or detail. Furthermore it seems as if even this site has very little detail about the various employers, benefits they provide and accommodation provided, despite the links provided.

The housing will likely be the least of your concerns.  Signing on with contracting companies like Al Khaleej, EdEx, and the like, is a gamble.  All you can do at this point is lower your expectations to the lowest.  Anyway, before departing to the Kingdom, you really should do some research on the Net regarding Saudi culture, especially the do's and dont's.

Alliecat wrote:

You act as if *we* are somehow falling short; shouldn't you be looking into the mirror regarding who dropped the ball here? 

Have you at least checked out the international teachers' forum at DavesESLCafe, a dedicated site for ESL professionals?

I provided the link to the ESL Cafe's jobs discussion forums several days ago on one of the other related threads Dogninja started.  But, alas... (sigh)