Advise on salary ( From oman to bahrain)

Hi All,

I'm in discussion witin the port of salman.
I have a contract in oman ( 1 year left), I was working in france before for roughly 5 years ,

Now they are proposing a permanent contract but the salary is arround 2000BD.

Is that a relevant salary for an engineer with 6/7 years XP?

the salary is less than what i have here in oman, but i can grow with the company as they have a lot of ports around the world.

thanks for your inputs
I need to decide very quickly

APM terminals is well known, but since their location is at the very end tip of the island, you may want them to pay for your housing at least.
generally speaking, bahrain living expenses are a bit more than in Oman.
i can help with the salary advise though.

Thank you Tariq for the answer,
i was told that bahrain is more cheap than Oman,
the salary proposed in all inclusive, so i need to pay the housing by my self.

All I can advise is that the cost of living is cheap but never accept the first offer you are given by a prospective employer. Ask for 2500BD and see what happens. Most employers here contribute towards schooling, travel, medical cover and rent but it does depend on the employer.

Thanks Josnuggles.
when i said all inclusive, i meant = basic salary+allowances.
schooling, medical etc are of course covered by the employer,

concerning the negociation, i don't think there is a room for negociatiation since they have a fixed bands and benefits allocated by band.

Ah, when some people say all inclusive it means "this is the salary we pay you, you pay everything from that" Glad to hear that isn't the case.

With most expenses covered you will easily be able to live on that salary.

My husband was supposed to be a grade 11 but managed to get grade 16. Don't ask me how though lol

I will try again with HR
Otherwise, 2000 Bd is it a fair salary for a western engineer with 6 years experience?

Yep it's fair and it will go a long way - you can easily save on that salary.

pirlo59 wrote:

Hi All,

I'm in discussion with APM terminals( maersk) who is managing the port of salman.
I have a contract in oman ( 1 year left), I was working in france before for roughly 5 years ,

Now APM is proposing a permanent contract but the salary is arround 2000BD.

Is that a relevant salary for ann engineer with 6/7 years XP?

the salary is less than what i have here in oman, but i can grow with the company as they have a lot of ports around the world.

thanks for your inputs
I need to decide very quickly

However your concern was answered by the guys here above, just wanted to share my experience in this regard.

The salary you were offered is a good one taking into consideration that its going to be a permanent contract, giving you a kind of stability so that you can excel in your career while well settled in Bahrain.

Bahrain is a nice country to live in, and satisfy all tastes therefore you would be able to work, enjoy life and make some savings.

Good Luck with your move :)

thanks VidoDido
I will have a phone call with HR Next 2 days,
I would like to know what elements i have to ask for:
medical, school...
what else?

Medical, school, accommodation, air fare, bonus, relocation allowance.

Transport allowance too or a car if you drive. Also check how much annual leave you get on top of the religious holidays

Hi All
Just to update, I had the HR Manager yesterday on phone,
she didn't give a lot of details but she will send the offer today.
In the same day, i had a confirmation that i was also accepted for another job in Oman in another terminal,
it's a 2 years contract salary 3000 BD/ Month,
if you are me what you will choose:
* permanent contract but 2000/ month, or
* 2 years contract with 3000/ month?

2 years contract 3,000 BD. that's what I would go for.

Thanks Brightonman

pirlo59 wrote:

Hi All
Just to update, I had the HR Manager yesterday on phone,
she didn't give a lot of details but she will send the offer today.
In the same day, i had a confirmation that i was also accepted for another job in Oman in another terminal,
it's a 2 years contract salary 3000 BD/ Month,
if you are me what you will choose:
* permanent contract but 2000/ month, or
* 2 years contract with 3000/ month?

Since I'm a stability seeker, I would go for the permanent contract with less money, I'm sure there would be a kind of incentives in the long run, in addition to great possibilities to get promoted within the organization as well.

Good Luck either ways :)

VidoDido is also right. I guess it depends on the personal circumstances and your career objectives. The extra you make on the contract role will make you earn a year's salary of the 2,000 BD job so you will have a year to look for another job. And if you prove yourself in the 2-year job, there is always an opportunity for them to convert your contract into a permanent one.

My husband is on a 2 year contract but from what I have heard that is the maximum they can offer and nearly always renew it.

In Bahrain the contracts are for 2 years by default anyway, as for visas. But they renew it at the end of the 2-year period if they want to keep you.

Hi All,
As update,
I received the offer, the salary is around 2000 BD+medical+airtickets+30 days leave
But no school assistance .
I ‘m thinking to ask them to propose better offer, the offer will expire after 3 days,
Should I wait at the last day to ask them or do it now?
Then they will extend the expiry date?

thanks

Well, have you got kids? Do you need school assistance? Would you be happy with 2,000 BD?

I would ask them to include schooling (if you have kids) to at least pay full schooling for 1 child and then maybe half the fees for a second child. Most companies will only contribute for 2 kids.

Do not hang around too long - speak to them asap.

Thanks for your feedback.
I have 2 children, 4 years and few months
my son will go to the KG next year,
and since it's a permanent contract, i need to have this school assistance for the future,
i don't know if i will be happy with 2000,
i'm earning now 2300 + villa provided,
and other benefit are more, but as i said it's a contract and i still have another year.

The expiry date for the contract is this wednesday,
if i ask them today to review the contract conditions, would they extand the expiry date or keep this wednesday?

thanks

Well, it all depends on how much they want you. Asking for more would never hurt, but it's up to your negotiation skills as well.

Thanks Man,
my main question was about the extansion of the expiry period.
the possibility to extend the expiry period after the review request.

My husband negotiated a better salary on his contract and the expiry date stayed the same.

If I was you I would get your negotiation head on and start work on them straight away. As you are aware you only have a few days to go.

Never accept the first offer. They can nearly always better it.

Good luck.

Well, logically they should be able to extend the timeline, but you don't have much time left so you better get back to them as soon as possible.

So what happened? Did you accept the offer in the end?

I still have today to decide,
I will let you know :)

Good luck man.

Good Morning All,
Finally i accepted the offer :)
I asked to send me a hard copy of the contract signed before I resign officially.
See you in BAHRAIN then :0)

Congratulations. I hope it works out well. So, when are you coming?

Thanks Man
It will be most probably mid of march
since it's just my second in middle east,
it is the right approch to don't resign before getting the hard copy of the contract signed?

Definitely. Wait until both parties sign everything.

ok chef :)

Well done. I'm glad you got the offer that you wanted eventually. As Brightonguy said, do not resign until you have the offer letter. This may come in the post or it may come via email. Either way your stability and family come first and you need a wage.

Look forward to seeing you in Bahrain.

Thanks for both of you
i forgot to tell that they included schooling at the end,
I have the offer by email , but i think it's not legaly valid,
i need to wait for the physical paper signed by them

pirlo59 wrote:

Thanks for both of you
i forgot to tell that they included schooling at the end,
I have the offer by email , but i think it's not legaly valid,
i need to wait for the physical paper signed by them

In Bahrain their word is their bond. You don't need to wait for signed copy but it all depends on your new start date in Bahrain and how much notice you have to give in order to make the dates work for you.

Really glad you got schooling covered. Goes to show that a bit of negotiation works wonders.

You may be right,
below is what i received today from HR Manager:
It is our policy to present the contract when the employee joins, and our offer is as legally binding as the contract.

does it mean that i can resign now?