Buying Computers and Accessories in TP HCM

Every three years my employer rotates the workstation and every five years we rotate displays/monitors. This year it was monitors.

So for the first two weeks of this year I've been canvassing stores and distributors.

Updating Equipment Knowledge
We started our search with < http://thewirecutter.com/ >, then < http://flatpanelshd.com/  >. Rviews were located at: < www.consumerreports.org/cro/computer-mo … e.htm?pn=0 >, < http://reviews.cnet.com/monitor-buying-guide/ >.

Narrowing the Choice
Based on the reviews we narrowed our choices to Dell, LG and Samsung. HP was not considered due to doubt in future corporate support. We also solicited information from students - some of the sharpest shoppers around.

We were also interested in the interfaces and the number/types of connectors so they would be compatible with older equipment such as our Canon scanners, etc.

Warranty
With monitors of this size/price warranty becomes an important factor - the standard tends to be 3 years. The ensures a reasonable life expectancy and controlled maintenance costs.

Both Hoàn Long and Phong Vũ offered full length 3 year warranty BUT Nguyễn Kim ONLY OFFERED THEIR 1 YEAR VERSION - see why later.

Suppliers Narrowed
Most smaller stores are too far down the food chain to get decent supplier prices. This makes it easier to thin out potential suppliers.

For a start, forget Samsung Plazas - they are big in TV and other home products. Not computer items.

This are the dealers we finished with.

Hoàn Long (Cống Quỳnh branch)
Hoàn Long is a chain of medium sized computer shops in Ho Chi Minh City. The shops focus heavily on personal computers, laptops, printers and other computer accessories. Most of the branches are located in the city centre and prices are reasonable.

Nguyễn Kim (Trần Hưng Đạo)
Nguyễn Kim is one of the largest chains of electronics stores in Ho Chi Minh City. Their shops normally cover several storeys and they sell almost every kind of consumer electronics including computers, mobile phones, TVs, cameras and major appliances such as fridges and freezers.

Phong Vũ
125 Cách Mạng Tháng Tám, D. 1  (08) 6290 8777
Phong Vũ is a large electronics store especially good at computers and computer accessories in Ho Chi Minh City. The shop is located just 10 minutes from the city centre and is split into two parts on opposite sides of an intersection. Phong Vũ sells computers and lots of related equipment.

Shopping Technique
I was one of the purchasers and another was a Vietnamese friend. We simply went in each store, independently, and we stood around looking at monitors waiting for an assistant to approach us.

In Nguyen Kim you would die before an assistant finished talking to another assistant or playing with their handsets.

Both Hoàn Long and Phong Vũ assistants approached us and both had English-speaking personnel.

The Final Choices
The Dell displays had very high ratings and also a good variety of connectors, far better than Samsung.

In the end we settled for U2412M model. Purchased from Hoàn Long (Cống Quỳnh branch). We initially purchased four units and they all performed well, A subsequent order for 84 pieces produced very sharp pricing PLUS a bonus (free) high-end screen and a very nice (free) laptop (for me)

Dell Distribution and Price Fixing
VN has poor consumer legislation, although there are a few notable legislative protections.

Dell products are distributed by FTP and even though we approached them as a potential supplier, they didn't offer any discounts for a large order. In fact, products they supplied to other retailers were priced less than FTP. Sure, they might be trying to do the right thing, but the fact is they are not cheaper at retail.

Warranty, sources & Nguyễn Kim
If you check out the Nguyen Kim web site < www.nguyenkim.com/ > you will see many of the warranties are provided by Nguyễn Kim and are for 12 months even when the manufacturer offers a 3 year warranty.

Further checking their web site you will see that the display monitors are not current models AND checking model numbers you will see they are INDIAN numbers. Seemingly Nguyen Kim buys unsold past years 'gray' market products AND sells at higher prices.

They also would not provide us with a Certificate stating the were new and unused. You join the dots!

BOTTOM LINE: Avoid Nguyen Kim.

Thanks Jaitch, very good info.

Totally agree with Jaitch's info regarding buying computers and related computer equipment. However, I've had pretty good luck buying other types of electronics from Nguyen Kim, and am considering buying a new TV there, unless someone here (Jaitch?) can make a better recommendation.

I like Nguyen Kim myself also. They opened a new store here last year. I bought a multi purpose phone/scan/copy/print machine from them during the Grand Opening. Than again last month I bought a Canon printer. After I did the set up there was a problem with it only printing one page of a multi page document before an error code started flashing. I called the store and was told  they would send somebody out. Sure enough a tech rep from Canon showed up a few hours later. Took one look at it and fixed it. Software setup problem. I asked him about the 12 month warranty that NK gave and that the warranty from Canon was normally 3 years. He said Canon would honor the 3 year but NK was only responsible for the 1st year. The past few weeks I've been looking to buy a 52 in Sony. The Sony dealer here in Can Tho has them in stock as does NK. I've decided to buy it from NK for two reasons, the price is slightly less but the biggest reason is that they take a USA bank debit card. I won't have to make 10 trips to the ATM over extended days to get the VND. The one thing that NK is really lacking is in accessories and supplies for the products they sell ie; toner cartridges for the printers. Just my thoughts.

@saigonmonkey
However, I've had pretty good luck buying other types of electronics from Nguyen Kim, and am considering buying a new TV there ...

Samsung Plaza(s)(I went to the one on Tran Hung Dao) sure have all sorts of TV's. You could use them as a reference and model/price reference then buy at Phong Vũ.

There is a lot of price fixing in VN - amongst 'competitors'.

@Budman1
... Sure enough a tech rep from Canon showed up a few hours later. Took one look at it and fixed it. Software setup problem. I asked him about the 12 month warranty that NK gave and that the warranty from Canon was normally 3 years. He said Canon would honour the 3 year but NK was only responsible for the 1st year. ... The one thing that NK is really lacking is in accessories and supplies for the products they sell i.e. toner cartridges for the printers.

Who actually services your equipment should be transparent to you. I have a receipt that says "Three year warranty" which is better than anything verbal. (Often companies have to pay the manufacturer warranty contributions so they are saving money.)
Toner cartridges are a consumable, as are drums, so your likely best source down there in the boonies is Canon.

We have six network laser printers and they have been banging stuff out for six years with no down time. Around USD$200 each.

We also have one of their new printers with also includes Bluetooth, so you can print from anything including smartphones, tablets, etc. Also around USD$200.

Our toner used to come from Brother, now we pick up toner refill kits from HongKong (in 20/30 lots).

When you buy equipment it is important to check the year of manufacture on the serial number label - it should never be more than one year more than the current year.

Hoàn Long has a great depth of cable supplies and I never knew they made so many different mice. I prefer roller ball for my PC design work, sadly of those they had none.

Good to hear that Can Tho has a decent choice.

Why not use a money transfer ... or buy a Samsung? (They rally do have nice looking screens - even under a magnifying glass.

NEVER BUY HP Printers - all their toner and ink reservoirs are 'intelligent' and know when they have been exhausted. They embed a small chip in the ink/toner reservoir - there are replacements/bypasses available in other markets.

DON'T CRIMP ON PAPER! Paper quality really affects the way your machines consume toner, wear the drum or even wear the machine. If you can buy Xerox (Giants sells that) you will really do your printer a big favour.