Jobs opportunities in Cape Verde

hi,may some one advise me.i wish to travel to Cape Verde .i really don't no the job opportunities that are available.

Hello gehern.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Can you please introduce yourself?
In which sector are you looking for work?
What is your professional background?

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hi Doula,

It would be extremely difficult to simply come to Cape Verde and find a job. Jobs are not easy to find. The unemployment rates are high for unskilled workers.

However, if you are a professional or have a trade, it may be easier to find a job. But that still does not mean it is easy.

There is a website of the Cape Verde government where employers can find jobs. But you will notice that there are only a few jobs posted at this time.

https://portoncv.gov.cv/portal/page?_pa … dominio=52

You will need to be able to speak Portuguese (or Kriolu) to get a  professional job. Jobs for English speakers are typically only available in the tourism sector (Sal or Boa Vista) or at some of the European or American institutions (like the UN or an Embassy for example).

Angelo

Hi....

Am from Ghana and I wish to travel to Cape Verde, am a TV Producer/Director, create TV contents for TV stations and also specialize in TV documentaries. I have a lot of experience in TV productions. Will it be possible for me to get a job when i come over? Please advise.
Thanks

Francis

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Jobs section + contact details
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi Mmabiz,

There are currently very few job opportunities in Cape Verde. The health, education and tourism sectors may provide some opportunities.

However, you will need to learn Portuguese to take advantage of any openings here. English is not spoken widely and most employers require that you speak Portuguese fluently.

Check this link for jobs that are advertised by the government and employers:

https://portoncv.gov.cv/portal/page?_pa … dominio=52

In my opinion, the best way to find a job here is to start your own business. But you will need help to navigate the business start-up process in Cape Verde.

Finally, you should be aware that you cannot just come to Cape Verde to "find a job". It does not work like that. You will need to be invited by an employer first. You will need a work permit and a resident visa which are not easy to obtain. If you come with money to invest, it is easier to receive the necessary visas that will allow you to stay.

Angelo

Hi
I'm looking for job in tourism field.
i would like to know the opportunities available in Cape Verde as  the main economic resources is tourism . I also have been in Cape Verde recently to analyse the  tourism growth. I know that employment has declined which  i predicted in my studies.
I loved the country and I believe in tourism as main vector to recover Africans economies.

Regards

Carlos Costa

Hi Carlos,

If you are looking for a job in the tourism field in Cape Verde and seeing that you have been here and done studies, then you know that you will have to go to Sal or Boavista.

The kind of company you would work with depends on what area of the tourism sector you are interested in. There are the hotels, restaurants, tour operators and other service providers you can explore.

You are correct that employment has declined in Cape Verde, but most of the unemployment is in sectors outside the tourism sector. The tourism is still growing at a fast pace but the rate of growth is slowing. I my self had predicted that the rate of increase in tourism in Cape Verde is unsustainable.

I'd be interested in reading your studies on the subject. If there a website to which you can refer me?

Um abraço,

Angelo

Carlos05 wrote:

Hi
I'm looking for job in tourism field.
i would like to know the opportunities available in Cape Verde as  the main economic resources is tourism . I also have been in Cape Verde recently to analyse the  tourism growth. I know that employment has declined which  i predicted in my studies.
I loved the country and I believe in tourism as main vector to recover Africans economies.

Regards

Carlos Costa

Dear friend,
I am graduated in Tourism Hospitality Management. I would like to know the probabilities of working  there. I speak Portuguese as well and also have managing experience from  Portugal. would you please tell what average wages are paying for management positions? and also what type contracts and what usually  includes? I ready to start to work , i just have some formalities like to give one month to my actual company.

Best Regards,

Carlos Costa

Hello, my name is Molly and I am a qualified teaching assistant currently working in a primary school in England but wishing to find similar work in Cape Verde in or around Espargos, I have friends who live there who would help but I was wondering where to look, I would also contemplate volunteer work so I could move out as soon as possible, any help would be appreciated,

Thanks in advance
Molly

This is my advice... Continue working where you are right now, forget the promises you get to live and work abroad. its not that easy my brother...

The job that you have at have right now is more important and better than the one you are seeking at Espargos CV.
Another option that i will offer you from my experience while living in Cape Verde is, Get your leave or Holiday from your working place, plan and visit Cape Verde first even just for a week, and see things for your self, Travel to the Island and see how life is over there, then seek for the job your self, after getting the job then you can quit the one you have in your country.
Don't ignorantly loose the beautiful job you have, because of the promises you get from friends in Cape Verde.

Again, Be wise and  plan well.
Thanks.

I appreciate the advise however i have been offered voluntary work at castelos do sal working with the children which i am excited about. My uk job is only a years contract which pushed me to condsider coming out to sal after visiting last week for a fortnight and falling in Love with the island.A question i would like to sal is about working visa, i will get a visa for voluntary work which i can extend when im there however if i was to find work whilst doing my voluntary am i able to get/Apple for a working visa whilst there on the island or would i have to travel back to the uk?

Thanks again for the advice.
molly

Sorry spelt some words wrong, i ment a question i would like to ask and am i able to get/apply.

Thanks

Hi Carlos,

You chosen the right area. Tourism is CV's fastest growing industry (even though the growth rate is slowing and will probably decline in the next years). CV is is need of qualified, multi-lingual workers especially in management.

However, wages here are quite low by UK and Portuguese standards. You're probably looking at €500-600/month for your qualifications and experience. But the cost of living is also much lower than it is in Europe. Also, you MAY qualify for a position which pays your rent, but that is unusual. There would typically be no car allowance (as cars are very expensive) except for the managers or directors of the business. But some of the Hotels in Sal and Boa Vista often provide free transport to employees to and from their homes.

But truth be told, you're probably going to be more successful in landing a good-paying job with more benefits in Angola. They are currently investing tens of millions in their hotel and tourism industry.

Best of luck,

Angelo

Carlos05 wrote:

Dear friend,
I am graduated in Tourism Hospitality Management. I would like to know the probabilities of working  there. I speak Portuguese as well and also have managing experience from  Portugal. would you please tell what average wages are paying for management positions? and also what type contracts and what usually  includes? I ready to start to work , i just have some formalities like to give one month to my actual company.

Best Regards,

Carlos Costa

Hi Molly,

As Alfred advised, seeing Cape Verde (Sal) for a couple weeks and living there on a longer term basis are two very different experiences. However, it sounds like you have a base of friends who can provide moral support and practical advice should you choose to come here.

To answer your question about applications for a work visa, the process is quite simple. Unlike the UK and other first world countries, it is not necessary to return to the UK to apply for a visa in Cape Verde. In fact, you do not need a "work" visa to work in CV. You simply need a RESIDENT visa. You simply enter with your temporary visitors visa (like you did on your initial visit) and you can start your volunteer work. When you enter, do not immediately state that you came to work. Say you are on a holiday. But you must then apply to immigration (frontier police) for a resident visa, before your visitors visa expires. Just make sure to always renew your resident visa since they typically give visas for a one-year period. Also, once you have your resident visa, you can work anywhere in any job, you can change jobs, etc.

I'm surprised your friends who already live and work in Cape Verde did not fill you in on how it works.

But I hope what I shared with you helps,

Angelo

mollyblot wrote:

I appreciate the advise however i have been offered voluntary work at castelos do sal working with the children which i am excited about. My uk job is only a years contract which pushed me to condsider coming out to sal after visiting last week for a fortnight and falling in Love with the island.A question i would like to sal is about working visa, i will get a visa for voluntary work which i can extend when im there however if i was to find work whilst doing my voluntary am i able to get/Apple for a working visa whilst there on the island or would i have to travel back to the uk?

Thanks again for the advice.
molly

My Boss Mr Angelo has already stated everything, and He is more experienced than I am, so follow his advice. about applications for a work visa, the process is very simple. in Cape Verde you do not need a "work" visa to work in CV. What you need is a resident visa.**Cartao Residencia**
You simply enter with your temporary visitors visa, and you can start your work. When you enter, atthe point of entering, do never say that you came to work in Cape Verde, just say you are on a holiday.
After you settle down, then apply to immigration office in Santa Maria for a resident visa, or Resident permit card, before your visitors visa expires.
Just make sure to always renew your resident visa since they typically give visas for a one-year period.
Also, once you have your resident visa, you can work anywhere in any job, abd you can get more better jobs depends n your qualification, but i willadvice you to start up this first job, then later you can apply in other companies to get a better job with a better pay.
Like my Boss Angelo steted earlier, Me too I am very surprised that your friends who already live and work in Cape Verde did not tell you about the visa issues and resident permits, ok, may be they are illegal.
One more thing is this, Do never give anybody money at and to process any documents fr you, everythings doon at the office, go there your sef, there is no harm.

Thanks and God bless your trials...

Thanks guys great help!! My friends over there are cape verdeans so they do not need visas and stuff, but thank you so much!! I can't wait to start my adventure.

all my thanks
molly

You're welcome Molly and best of luck with your adventure.

I'd just advise that you be extremely cautious with anything you are told by your Cape-Verdean friends. They sometimes provide misleading advice or set expectations much higher than reality. I'm speaking from the experience of living and working here for many years. So, if you are ever in doubt about anything, feel free to post your questions here on the appropriate topic areas of this forum and we'll try to help you out.

Angelo

mollyblot wrote:

Thanks guys great help!! My friends over there are cape verdeans so they do not need visas and stuff, but thank you so much!! I can't wait to start my adventure.

all my thanks
molly

Hello again,
I was just thinking over the resident visa and had another question and thought there was no one better to ask seen as though you have helped me so much already, my question is, when asking/applying for a resident visa do I need to make sure I have a cetain amount of money etc so they know I am able to support myself or is there anything I need to make sure I do or have so they do not turn me down? Thank you

Yeah of course you need some documents in other to apply for the resident permit.
If you are already in CV just walk into the Immigration Office and ask for what ever you want to know; they do not kill people who seeks information about legality.
But your company is the body responsible to help you get that permit. You should consult the person in-charge in your working place; He knows all you need to get that!

Cape Verdean Immigration;"Fronteira" is the best Institution that I have ever seen lately. They are very open and will clarify you.
They will give you a piece of paper that contains all the documents that they require from you.
The document requirements varies; depending on your nationality; I mean; your country of origin.

My friend; just walk in there and get all your questions answered. If you do not understand Portuguese or Kriolu; then you have to go with someone to make the interpretation; or probably go there your self; there is always someone who speaks the both language.
I guess the fee is about 50euros or less; but they may demand that you stamp another three months stamp before you may apply for the resident visa; or sometimes they may require that you fly out of CV and re-enter before getting the permit; But you have to go there and see the latest requirements.

Thanks

Hi Molly,

Yes, you need to have the following items when you apply for a residency visa:

1. Your passport which they will take from you in order to issue the visa stamp;
2. a photograph for your visa...you can get these from many of the photo shops around town. Juts tel them it is for your residency visa and they'll know exactly what sie to shoot;
3. 5.000 escudos which is the cost of the visa;
4. a letter from your employer or charity that says you have a job.

Also, it would be ideal if you already have a place rented in your name. You will be required to indicate your address in CV. So it's best to have an address where you actually live.

Best of luck. If you have any other questions, just ask. Or send me a private message if you need specific personal help such as via telephone conversations.

Angelo

Olá,

Neste momento estou empregado em Portugal a trabalhar numa consultora na área de informática.
Procuro oportunidade de trabalho em Cabo Verde já que é um País que sempre me encantou e no qual gostaria de viver.

Caso tenham algumas dicas sobre onde devo procurar por favor enviem.

Muito Obrigado a todos.

i

Hi Mboura and alfredrobinson,

Can you please post in english on this anglophone forum? :)

Thank you,

Priscilla
Expat.com team

Hi BM Moura,

Welcome to the forum.

While things may be tough in Portugal in terms of unemployment, it is worse here in Cape Verde at the current moment. We are currently in the midst of a recession that is occurring outside the tourism sector. Your chances of finding a good job here in the technology sector is probably zero.

There may be opportunities to work as a technology consultant by starting your own company, but there are no guarantees that you will find clients with the capacity to pay you for such services. For example, technology services provided to companies in the tourism sector is a possibility, but that sector typically uses off-the-shelf services or have their technology needs provided online by companies located in Europe.

Another idea is to start a company that provides value-added technology services in the telecommunications sector which is still growing. But this will require a significant investment on your part.

You would likely have better prospects with a job search in Angola where the economy is booming and where there are many Portuguese expats. Or you could wait until the recession ends here in Cape Verde.

Angelo

bmmoura wrote:

Olá,

Neste momento estou empregado em Portugal a trabalhar numa consultora na área de informática.
Procuro oportunidade de trabalho em Cabo Verde já que é um País que sempre me encantou e no qual gostaria de viver.

Caso tenham algumas dicas sobre onde devo procurar por favor enviem.

Muito Obrigado a todos.

alfredrobinson wrote:

i

hi sir, my name is ibisi charles orforbike i am from nigerial also play football,pls i need ur asistant for invitation for my team to come to cape verde for a club trial,thanks this is my number,[Moderated]  also my facebook name ibisi [email protected]

Hey everyone!
I am a university student of geography, majoring in tourism geography. I am currently writing my thesis about ecotourism, and only an internship is missing. I would love to do my internship in Cape Verde, where sustainable forms of tourism hold endless possibilities and where renewable energy (wind power) is widely used. Also, being able to practice my Portuguese language skills would be a plus.
Would anybody have hints where to search? Public sector, enterprises, NGOs are all welcomed..
Cheers!

Hi you,

You never told us your name so I don't know what to call you. You also didn't say where you're from so it's harder to give you targeted advice (although "cheers!" sounds like you're a Brit.) I'll assume you are British.

First of all, please understand that Cape Verde is a very, very small country. The local businesses are very small (micro- and small-enterprises) and they don't have big budgets, or large numbers of employees who can invest time orienting an intern. So if you are interested in an internship with a local company, you likely could not get a paid-internship, if at all.

You should focus on the largest local companies of which there are just a handful. These would include the telecoms, Unitel T+ and Cape Verde Telecom, as well as the oil companies, Shell/Vivo Energy and Enacol. The local banks are possibilities, and Ecobank welcomes english-speakers. You can find them all in the Cape Verde yellow pages, but it is best to search online for their websites (because you will get their direct email contact information). Note, you would need to be conversant in Portuguese to land any kind of internship (but as I mentioned, Ecobank is the best fit for someone speaking english as a first language and I know they've hired interns in the past). All of these large companies are based in Santiago except Shell and Enacol which are in São Vicente.

The other employers you can look to, given your interest in eco-tourism, are the foreign-owned hotels in Sal and BoaVista, many of which could accommodate english speakers. Look at Riu Hotels, etc, i.e., the big multi-nationals. Also, the reason I asked where you were from is that if you are from the UK, then you might contact the big UK tour operators like Thompson or Thomas Cook as they have operations here. Plus there are the other tour companies you could look at as well, like TUI. If you start with them, they may be able to set you up with their local partners here in CV.

A good possibility might be the international NGOs and institutions like the United Nations, or one of the foreign embassies (their is no UK embassy here though).

To work with a local NGO, all of which are micro sized, you would probably need to be fluent in Portuguese and to locate in Santiago which is where most are based. And public sector would probably be impossible because of all of the regulations as well a their understandable desire to train Cape Verdean students first, before hiring foreigners.

Angelo

msmia wrote:

Hey everyone!
I am a university student of geography, majoring in tourism geography. I am currently writing my thesis about ecotourism, and only an internship is missing. I would love to do my internship in Cape Verde, where sustainable forms of tourism hold endless possibilities and where renewable energy (wind power) is widely used. Also, being able to practice my Portuguese language skills would be a plus.
Would anybody have hints where to search? Public sector, enterprises, NGOs are all welcomed..
Cheers!

Hi!

My name is Janine, im 21 years old from Stockholm, Sweden.  :)

Me and a friend are moving to Sal in September to try find a job and live there for at least 9 months! I don't care about the salary, and I would love to work in a restaurant, café or hotel. I have worked in restaurant business for 4 years (waitress, barchef and barista), and I have also studied Logi (hotel course). I know fluid english, Swedish and I also understand Norway and danish. I am right now studying portugese! I have 5 months to learn portugese (Im studying everyday).

I am a fun, happy, outgoing person, and I've been to Sal 2 for 2 times, and know some locals and I would really fit in there I believe!

But my question is, I know it's now easy to get a job, but you think I have any chance? Cape Verde is really a popular Scandinavian destination, so my language skills is a profit.  And how about working visa? Or should we apply for long term visa?

Best regards,
Janine

Hi Janine,

Thanks for your note. You should apply for a temporary tourist visa for €50 when you arrive at Sal. You should make your ticket a round trip to return within 1 month.

After you are in Sal, get the job first then apply to change your visa to a 1-year resident visa which will cost you another €50. Then reschedule your return flights.

The tourism growth has been slow this year so job opportunities are less than before. But with your language skills and past experience, it means you won't need much training and you will be productive almost immediately. That will increase your chances of landing a temporary job.

If you or your friend would need anything else, feel free to contact me via message.

Regards,

Angelo

Hi,

Thank you for the quick reply. Wish me good luck!  :)

Best regards,
Janine

Hi

Is there any chance for a senior IT technichina to found jobs in Cape Verde. I've been working with the most in IT, Windows servers, Linux, Unix, Virtualization as VmWare, Hyper V. Firewall and networks.

Br

Mange

Saurumann wrote:

Hi

Is there any chance for a senior IT technichina to found jobs in Cape Verde. I've been working with the most in IT, Windows servers, Linux, Unix, Virtualization as VmWare, Hyper V. Firewall and networks.

Br

Mange

Hi Saurumann,

Cape Verde is a small country of 1/2 million people of which one-half to two-thirds are children or young adults with zero purchasing power. So the productive segment of workers is just a fraction of the total population and about half of those are unemployed because of lack of jobs OR they have their own businesses.

There are few jobs for people with your level of expertise and experience. The few jobs that might exist in your area (with the two telephone companies, and the government technology division) are already taken! And there's an almost zero chance that you would be hired as a consultant. Plus you would have to be fluent in Portuguese to even be considered. You might consider a teaching job in the university or high schools, but those jobs do not pay well.

Your best chance for making a liveable income here is to start your own business in the mobile technology sector. It is one of the fastest growing. Or you could work in the tourism industry. Either way, you will have to earn your money by selling your services to the local businesses, but primarily to the FOREIGN companies and individuals who are in the country. The income generated by the locals is not much.

I was just speaking this morning over coffee with an expat friend of mine about this. Her husband is an IT architecture designer. He does consulting outside of Cape Verde (e.g., the Canary Islands) then takes a break here in CV. He will not find anything here such as exists outside in the much larger markets.

Angelo

hi vvvvvvvv vvam yahaya appiah and teacher. it is possible to get teaching appointment.

Teaching yahaya Ghana

No. Not if you speak or write like that! And if you don't speak any Portuguese, the official language, there is no hope of getting any job.

I am Pakistani. Almost fifteen years experience in culinary arts(as a chef) field and like to work in Cape Verde country.
So how can i get the visa and give me full details of this country. :)

Joel Shahbaz Jacob wrote:

I am Pakistani. Almost fifteen years experience in culinary arts(as a chef) field and like to work in Cape Verde country. So how can i get the visa and give me full details of this country. :)

Joel, what is your style of cooking and what are your salary expectations? If you are not cooking the Portuguese dishes, you would likely not be successful here in the culinary area. Eastern style cooking such as Chinese, Indian and Pakistani dishes are NOT eaten in Cape Verde and the locals are not very curious about foreign foods. In addition, salaries are quite low. For example, a cook at a local restaurant here may make $150-200 per month.

Your best bet is international dishes working in one of the larger hotels in Sal or Boa Vista.

Hello! I am Katherine

I was wondering what kind of jobs they have in Cape Verde?
And no I am not looking for a job to work there, I am just wondering because I have this project about Cape Verde. In my project, it includes what the main types of employment in Cape Verde. Also what type of employment is it in primary, secondary, tertiary, or quaternary industries?

Please answer ASAP, thank you :)

This type of info is not readily available. The main source of granular economic data in CV is the National Institute of Statistics (www.ine.cv) but their website is down for some reason. Typical for Cape Verde. Keep trying and you will find the details that you need if they ever bring the website up again. (I will send a message to the Investor agency because this is a ridiculous situation! How is anyone going to be able to figure out if they can do business here if they cannot find the national statistics?)

You can get aggregate level economic data from the Bank of Cabo Verde (www.bcv.cv) but this won't help you because it is not at the level of detail you're looking for.

There is some info from the CIA World Factbook. Here you will see that 80% of Cape Verde's economy is in the Service sector, 16% in industry and the rest in agriculture and fishing.

Cape Verde is a poor island nation with zero land-based natural resources. This is why most of the jobs are in services. There really isn't much industry to speak of.

I do not know what is meant by primary, secondary industry, etc.

Good luck with your project.

Angelo