Relocating to Belize?

Would like to know if any of the expats living in Belize would possibly offer their pro/con advice and information, based on their experience, about the retiring and possibly buying property, for Americans considering repatriating/retiring to Belize. Have read numerous articles and facebook comments from International Living, Escapeartist, and others about different Latin and South American countries. My wife and I are retired, but have adopted two of our grand daughters. We previously had lived in Brasil for 5 years about 27+ years ago, so we have a little experience living in outside of the states. In Brasil, we always rented and will probably do the same in Belize till we find what we want. We're interested in San Ignacio; maybe Corozal or Placencia, either close or near the coast. Also, information about quality elementary and intermediate school system. Considering coming for a visit this summer, possibly June, for about a month to get acquainted with the country; was there 2 years ago for a dive trip. Thanks, Mike

mperry1946 wrote:

Would like to know if any of the expats living in Belize would possibly offer their pro/con advice and information, based on their experience, about the retiring and possibly buying property, for Americans considering repatriating/retiring to Belize. Have read numerous articles and facebook comments from International Living, Escapeartist, and others about different Latin and South American countries. My wife and I are retired, but have adopted two of our grand daughters. We previously had lived in Brasil for 5 years about 27+ years ago, so we have a little experience living in outside of the states. In Brasil, we always rented and will probably do the same in Belize till we find what we want. We're interested in San Ignacio; maybe Corozal or Placencia, either close or near the coast. Also, information about quality elementary and intermediate school system. Considering coming for a visit this summer, possibly June, for about a month to get acquainted with the country; was there 2 years ago for a dive trip. Thanks, Mike

Welcome to the boards!  My recommendation is to do lots of research and get an e book (or two) about relocating yourself for retirement in another Country.  That is what my husband an I are currently doing.  We have purchased one book and looking at another (not sure if it is permitted here, but the book by Sharon is great)to be sure we do not go in with Rose Colored glasses.  That's it - hinted around without saying the name!  We are currently in the midst of our lists of "Why's and Why Nots"   so we can be confident in making a decision.  Additionally, We are going to do a visit to several locations to get a feel and "live like a local" so that everyday life can be experienced.  Afterall, once you move - you'll no longer be on vacation!  When we go down for our extended stay we will be seriously looking at SI and Corozal ourselves.  Happy researching...

Laurie
The Cruisin Camper

Oh, and read the blogs you can find here, they are great!

L

Wow...that is all I could say for my 1st 2 weeks here on Caye Caulker!  No matter how much research I did (almost 2 yrs), it still didn't 100% prepare us for this!  I didn't understand why everyone said "visit before you buy". We aren't buying and we are only staying a year, so I didn't really listen...Wow...We have been here for 4 weeks now, still adjusting to the weather, homechooling our 9yr old grandson, my retirement, and finding out a family member is dying.  Wow!  Moving here is a challange, then still dealing with life...Wow.  But you know, the people here are wonderful, the ocean, the serenity, the sun (we are from Seattle)...Ahhhhh! Life goes on no matter where you are, it's where do you want to be to deal with it...:cool: