Experience Sweden Through Facts :-)

Hello Expats,

Being in Sweden and experienced some of Life's best times, it's quite normal to promote this beautiful country in my own ways.

Sweden is an open, multicultural society with a long tradition of welcoming expats from all over the world.

Its the 3rd largest country in the European Union by area,with a population of 9.4 million inhabitants. Sweden is however not a part of the European Monetary Union and hence the currency is Swedish kronor SEK).

The compulsory school lasts for ten years, followed by three years in upper secondary school. Education is free of charge ONLY FOR SWEDES at all levels of the compulsory school and at university level.

All Swedish citizens are entitled to basic social security. This means that the state is responsible for all or most of the costs related to education, healthcare, child and elderly care, and pensions.

Sweden has one of the highest standards of living worldwide. Many multinational companies have their roots in Sweden; among them Volvo, AstraZeneca, ABB, IKEA, Ericsson, Scania, Electrolux, H&M and Absolut Vodka. Cutting edge companies such as Skype (now MS)and Spotify were also founded in Sweden.

Sweden is also a multicultural society. Almost a fifth of the population has roots in other countries. Immigration has made Sweden more open, international and multicultural despite challenges such as segregation.

Sweden is one of the world's foremost research nations and a pioneer in biotechnology, medical innovations, microelectronics, IT, telecoms and space research.

The difference between the southern and northern regions of Sweden can be rather big. Northern Sweden is covered in snow at wintertime, with temperatures down to -20 degrees Celsius, while winter in south Sweden does not always mean snow, nor temperatures below zero.

In summertime the north of Sweden, above the Arctic Circle, enjoys the midnight sun - a phenomenon which means that the sun never sets in June/July, with constant daylight as a consequence.

Spending their life in Sweden has become the dream of expats like me. The excellent health and education systems offered to everyone living in Sweden are not the only reason to move to this part of Scandinavia. The country also impresses visitors and foreign employees alike with its breathtaking scenery. Many people living in Sweden have a house by one of the many lakes and bays. Sweden's summers, although not the warmest, feature long, bright days while the winter season also has its romantic side.

Apartments can be rented with a first-hand or second-hand contract. It can be in fact quite difficult to sign a first-hand contract without a Swedish personal identity number. The usual way of finding a first-hand rental apartment is by registering with your municipality to be put on a waiting list. In larger cities, these waiting lists are extremely long and it can take several years before your municipality will consider you. Smaller towns or villages will make it easier for you, and you may get a first-hand rental apartment right away.

Second-hand rental contracts are much more common among foreigners living in Sweden than first-hand rentals. They are easier to find and you do not need a personal identity number and guaranteed income. Your rental agreement will then be signed between you and the owner of the apartment or the holder of first-hand rental contract.

While second-hand contracts are easier to come by for expats living in Sweden, you should still make sure to always sign a formal contract. Second-hand rental contracts are always between private individuals. You can search for apartments by typing hyra lägenhet (rent apartment), hyreslägenhet (rental apartment) or uthyres andra hand (second-hand rentals) in your search engine.

An average apartment will be equipped with Bedding, Ordinary Sofa, sufficient lighting, heating/electricity, Microwave, potable water (water in Sweden is the sweetest; only Canadians can complain), heating pans/Gas connection ready, basic kitchen utensils/cutlery, other amenities like Cable television, Iron box/table, furnished bathrooms, WC, wardrobe, broadband internet, etc.

Eating out is not a luxury in Sweden. Expats should develop their cooking skills with help from YOUTUBE (;-)). Alcohol is very expensive in restaurants and Bars. The sale of Alcohol is controlled directly by Swedish Government (systembolaget) and hence is not sold by private shops. But buying from systembolaget is always cheaper than Restaurants and Bars.

To summarize, Sweden is a combination of amazing surprises, which grows on you with every passing day.

Spend a week or two and I bet this will be the best part of your life.

Cheers to Sweden here's wishing a fabulous 2013 to all

BR/Vijesh

Nice post vijesh ;)

hi vijesh
         its poul very beautiful msg about sweden. i am also from india currently i m stay in cyprus i have been 9 years here my wife is from romania and we have 2 month old a baby girl. i see some of your comment on here in Expat.com and i understand that you have good knowledge about this country i need a advise from to you we plan to move in sweden bcus of crises in cyprus how is situation in sweden?, can i find job easily there?, what is basic salary is there?, which city we should try for a job and live?, 1 or 2 room apartment can find cheap?, swedish goverment is helping to foreigners? pls help me bcus we dont have nobody there for take information. you can send me a msg on my email.. [email protected]... thx