27+ to obtain work visa?

I'm 25 and considering a move to KL. A preliminary search has indicated that foreign workers must be at least 27 years old to obtain a working visa.

With stories of so many expats under the age of 27, I'm wondering if that requirement actually holds in the real world?

Is anyone able to elucidate or comment upon this restriction?

Cheers,
Matt

Hi and welcome to Expat.com Matt!

I hope the other members will be able to tell you more about it soon.

Regards
Armand

Yes it is strictly enforced - however for certain roles in IT the age limit is 22. You can get work permits under these age limits with lots if extra paperwork and cash. So usually no employer bothers.

Don't get confused with students and interns. These can be under 21!

Has there been an change in regulations in past few years.
I got working visa when i was 20years old and my friend got when if was 19years old, but this was long ago around 2000 :D

oh1jty wrote:

I got working visa when i was 20years old and my friend got when if was 19years old, but this was long ago around 2000 :D

Well that is 12 years ago. I know laws from 2003. Foreign worker can get at age of 18 - low paid workers like maids and factory workers. Some interns can as well < 6 months.

proper expat jobs is 27 (as in pay living wages) except for IT. Rules are far more strictly enforced these days as local unemployment an issue.

Some of those work permits in the past were fake..... or obtained via unusual methods. As I understand it now it is all properly enforced  - you may notice a lot harder to get a maid etc.

Nemodot wrote:
oh1jty wrote:

Well that is 12 years ago. I know laws from 2003. Foreign worker can get at age of 18 - low paid workers like maids and factory workers. Some interns can as well < 6 months.

proper expat jobs is 27 (as in pay living wages) except for IT. Rules are far more strictly enforced these days as local unemployment an issue.

Some of those work permits in the past were fake..... or obtained via unusual methods. As I understand it now it is all properly enforced  - you may notice a lot harder to get a maid etc.

Yes some time has gone since then :)
It was big time IT job and it was proper work permits, but that was then and now is now. Malaysia has changed lot from those days.

Do you know what the unemployment procent is these days in Malaysia ?

oh1jty wrote:
Nemodot wrote:
oh1jty wrote:

Yes some time has gone since then :)
It was big time IT job and it was proper work permits, but that was then and now is now. Malaysia has changed lot from those days.

Do you know what the unemployment procent is these days in Malaysia ?

Yes as I employ staff - and it is far stricter. What the poster was reffering to was all those people who say "I got a job at 23 blah blah" but THAT was in the past and sometimes for special reasons

BTW you can get a wp under 27 but extra forms/fess 100x harder. So no one bothers. It used to be easier..... but nowadays I can't employ under 27s in non IT roles