Staying temporarily in Cancun

Hi There,
I have recently arrived back home to Canada from Cancun, and am really wanting to return to live for a few months.  Can anyone please tell me where to start?  I have limited Spanish, so that is a bit of a road block.  Areas i'm wondering about are:
1)Finding an apartment to rent
2)Banking
3)Finding a job, or volunteering
If anyone can tell me where to start I would be very grateful!

Heather

Hello Heather,

I have been living in Cancun for 15 years. If you are looking for an apartment it will depend on how much and for how long you plan to rent to be able to give you the most useful advice?As far as banking goes if you don't have an FM3 you wont be able to open an account. You will have to rely on travelers cheques and/or having your bank send money down to a money exchange place like Monex (they charge a small fee) or you can use your debit card to withdraw money but your bank in Canada will charge a hefty bank fee everytime.
It is not as easy as before to find a job in Cancun especially if you don't speak Spanish. It is not impossible but neither will it be easy. Most people when they first come either work in timeshare, for a travel agency that receives people in the airport like Apple Vacations, or a canadian tour company. Do you speak French? Other girls sell shots in clubs or teach english. As far as volunteering I will have to leave that one for someone else to answer.I hope that helps.

Hi my name is Victor Guzman. My home in is Southern California, but I am currently here in Cancun because there seems to be a huge disconnect between Mexican banks and expats living in Cancun. I am here for the next three months in order to help bridge this gap. I am open to helping anybody in need of assistance with any questions in regards to banking. I am sure that I can help people save money and facilitate their access to their money.(Moderated : No free advertising)

I'm sure there are a bunch of different volunteer things that you could do in cancun. I live on Isla Mujeres and just off the top of my head can think of 4 different places to volunteer here and this is just a small island, so I would imagine there are many more opportunities in Cancun-- you could try researching causes in Cancun that you care about.