I am not sure how to use this forum

I just joined up and would like information for leaving Australia to live in Cebu?  Thank you......David

Hi David,

Welcome! I would suggest browsing around and searching the forums... lots of good stuff to read...

You might want to start be searching requirements to live in the Phils... then start searching costs/places to live etc...

All the best!

J

Thanks Johnny, I will spend a few hours on this tomorrow to work it out lol
Appreciate your reply, and hope to talk to you again.
David.

Hello David.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

If you have questions, do not hesitate to ask them as well and to tell us more about your project.

Thank you,
Aurélie

I have read your story :)

My advise are, don't forget to love your self, enjoy your retirement, be careful,do what makes you happy, pray, don't let your pocket out of cash,ask, study laws, keep your communication to your relatives in Australia, seek for a friend/guardian a younger Australian expat in Cebu.

God bless!

Thank you everybody for the advise that you are telling me because I will really need a lot of help with this move to the Philippines as soon as my house is sold here.
Could somebody tell me who are the best people to contact for shipping my items there?
I have a new 42 in LG Plasma TV and a large Bosch fridge freezer that I would like to bring, but somebody mentioned that it would be cheaper for me to sell them here and buy new ones there.
The rest of my things I can pack into boxes if somebody could advice me on who to call.
I would like to live in outer Cebu and would like advise on this also as I am willing to listen to you people that know and then  maybe I wont stuff up. lol
Once again THANK YOU to everybody.
David.

Do you intend to marry?  This could be a big factor in your acquiring perm res status or getting an indefinite stay visa.  Also how well you are viewed and received by your girlfriend's family will make a difference in your every day life.  Good luck with figuring it all out.

Thank you mugtech....and No we are not going to marry at this stage although we are engaged.
My fiancee understands this and that is why she is happy just to be my fiancee, and for me to live in the Philippines with her.
She feels that if she marries me it would give my so called small minded friends ammunition to fire at me, such as "she is only marrying you because you are much older than her, and you will probably be dead within the next ten years or so and then she will get your money" ( which is less than they think lol )
Yes her family have all accepted me and they take my side should we have a disagreement. ( Which is very )
I only met her in the Philippines when I went there to get away from this rat race, and at the time I was NOT looking for any woman, but I was introduced to her by a mutual friend last February and we got on like a house on fire.
Her or her family have never asked me for money and when I offer they will not accept even though they are not well off.
It is hard for me to understand why a young and attractive girl would love me, ( and I know that she does ) and that is why I am needing advice before I jump in, but I have nothing here and
and cant ask my friends for their options  because of their sinister minds.
This will be my last big decision in my life and the only reason that I am hesitating is because of my age.
Maybe some of the older Expats could give me their options also.
Thanks....David.
PS My house goes on the market tomorrow but I need a push along. lol

Hi David!

I wish all the best for you and your fiancee!

I know lot's of people will question the age difference... but who cares? as long as your happy, right?

Her family seems great and hopefully it stays that way... In regards to them 'taking your side'... I would be careful... Most parents will stand behind their kids no matter what... unless there is motive to do otherwise...

What are your plans when you get here? Will you work? does your fiance work?

Ciao for now!

J

Perhaps rather than protecting you from your so called friends she is also protecting herself from the gold digger label.  In 10 years she would still have the never married status a widow would prefer.  If you are ready willing and able to make the move, then more power to you.  I hope things don't change once you have made the commitment.  Let us know how you make out, wishing you the best.

Thanks Mugtech and everybody else for your advice.
Yes my house is on the market now, and as soon as it is sold and all of the lose ends have been cleared up I will be on the first plane back to the Philippines.
In my heart I know that I am doing the right thing, it is just that
too many people have been putting negative thoughts into my mind,but now I am positive about what I am about to do thanks to YOU ALL.
Can somebody please tell me who I can contact to have items that I want to bring with me picked up here, when the time is right.
Also what is the next move that I should be doing to prepare myself for the move?
I have moved many times here in Australia, but never overseas, so I am a novice in this area, and need constructive advice.
Thanks again.....David.

Hey David...

Sell everything that's not essential or have nostalgic value... Tv's pc's and any electronics that aren't easily transported, sell...

Just bring the necessities...

I left my valuables back in Canada in a safety deposit box... Anything too big to fit that I couldn't bring myself to sell I gave to my family/friends to hold onto for me... Some winter clothes and a small boat... So when I visit in the summer, I can go fishing with friends and in the winter when I visit I have some warm clothes...

I remember my parents buying a house in the USA and talking about furnishing it with their old furniture in Canada... They just didn't want to part with their furniture... After some thought, they realized how silly it would be to spend the time/effort/money on moving their furnishings...

When you sell your house... Offer to include all the furnishings... Save you the time/money to sell it individually...

I would guess it would cost a couple thousand to ship the contents of even a 1 bedroom condo to Cebu... I left a large suitcase at my hotel in Chiang Mai (Thailand) and tried to get it shipped to Manila... Had 5 quotes and all were over $350... All I had in it were clothes so I just left it there... I figured I could buy new clothes and save the hassles of getting it shipped...

Depending on your age, I believe you can apply for a retirement visa? I just get a 6 month multi-entry tourist visa in Canada before I go. I still need to leave every 2 months... but better than every 21 days :)

I find before I move to a place I spend days/hours online researching... then once I get to my destination everything changes... I would advise to just figure out where you will stay for the first week and get a hotel... then figure it out from there...

How's the Australian real estate market right now? still strong?

Chat soon!

J

Thanks Johnny, good idea you are spot on.
The only items I really want to bring are a steam cooker,a slow cooker, a proper toaster, pillows, sheets,towels, DVD player which plays tapes as well as DVD`s, and a few odds and ends.
I have advertised my house with furniture and if I can sell it with the furniture also it would be a bonus.
The property market is very slow here,and at a last resort if it does not sell after six months I will have to look at renting it out, which I really dont wont to do.
David.

Gooday mate fellow Aussie here, don't miss it, if ur Fillipino
women is as good as u say, as mine is, u will love it here.
that is the only key to living in Phills, a good women,so go for it, ur Aust pension will put u in great stead here.
feel free to ask anything else
Pete

Thanks Pete, good to hear from you mate.
This is a great site as everybody is so helpful, I cant believe it...no negativity what soever.
Could you email me at    [email protected]  as I am having a little bit of trouble working out how to use this site as my daughter usually helps me out, but not in this case. lol.
David.

Hi, David! I too am a new member. Just joined a few weeks ago and haven't even introduced myself to the Forum yet. I am just writing to you to pass on some information from Mercy, my wife. I'm a retired High School teacher from the UK.(N. Ireland) and Mercy and I have been married for 23 years. We have lived in Cebu and Leyte for about 7 years in total and have a house in the North of the City. Three years ago we decided to move back to the UK because we weren't satisfied that our son, 11 at that time, would receive an adequate education here.We have kept our house in Cebu and visit every few years.
   Sorry about that intro which you probably don't want to read. It's great to hear someone like you starting a new life with a new relationship and you have said how amazed you have been about the positive comments you have received from Cebu, compared with a lot of negativity in Australia. Now I certainly don't want to be the one to urge a little bit of caution- but I would like to pass on a few tips from my personal experiences of the Philippines. Please do not take this as an attempt to spoil your happiness- I would never do that.
   First of all my wife wanted me to advise you not to sell your house in Australia yet unless it is essential for you for living in the Philippines. We have lived for a number of extended periods in the Philippines but always rented out our house in the UK. I am so glad that we did this. If we had sold up we couldn't have done lots of things which were essential, but which we couldn't have forseen at the time. e.g My elderly mother got dementia and we had to return to help for several years, my son's education etc. Once you've sold up in Aussie there will be no going back at your age, and on a pension. (You have hinted that, like me, you are not rich.) You will not be able to buy a house in Australia if you have to return, nor easily get a job.
   I would be happy to share some experiences with you if you want to contact me but I don't want to influence you one way or another. We just thought that we should tell you about your house as it's a critical decision. I know some people feel that it's better to make a 'clean break' but I'm glad I didn't. All the best for your future in Cebu.- Chris.

Thanks for your input Chris and I understand entirely what you are saying, but I would have no reason to return to Australia,as I have not got any close ties here anymore, and if for some reason the move to the Philippines did not work out I have got another option up my sleeve which I wont go into.
You see Chris I have got nothing to lose, and I am old enough to be able to judge people for who they are,and I am  sure of the lady whom I will be spending my time with, as she has passed every test that I have thrown up to her, (without her knowing) and
I have never been as sure of anybody as I am about this person.
The hardest thing for me I think will be settling into the new life,but on my last visit there which was for two months, I slotted in quite well, and never gave one thought to Australia, so I think that in time I would be 100 per cent OK, so I am coming there with a positive approach and not getting involved with negative talk, that goes on there with various Expats, and that is why I like this site, you always get a straight up answer.
Was good to hear from you Chris and appreciate what you had to say and would like to look you up when I eventually get to Cebu,but I am sure that I will be asking more questions before I leave.
Regards to you and you wife.

Hi David,

You can also visit General Santos City. Perhaps, your fiancee knows the place. You will love this city for sure. There are many foreigners living here already.

hi i have a friend who works for a shipping company in manila,let me know ok?

Hello everyone that is reading this... was wondering if there are any friendly expats out there that I could meet as I have only been here for a few months (Dumaguete) and have a fiancee much younger than myself.
Am finding it hard to fill in the days but was told that this would be the case before I decided to live here, so I have to hang in and get used to doing nothing I suppose. lol
Anyway my name is David and I am from Australia should anyone be interested in talking with me.
Keep on keeping on people..
David

Hi David,

Welcome to Expat-Blog :happy:

Feel free to start a new thread on the Cebu Forum or to browse through the discussion on the forum and even to participate by asking questions or sharing informations please :)

Thank you

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team

I am not sure about using the forum or my computer. where are you now, I may visit cebu march 2014 maybe I could meet up