Close

Business Opportunities in Budapest

atomheart :
arash.qanavati12 :

Hi

I want to start a business in Hungary but I'm not sure what to do.

I'm interested in construction and trading.

Appreciated

How about selling construction equipment and materials..?

What kind of material and equipment ?

arash.qanavati12 :
atomheart :
arash.qanavati12 :

Hi

Appreciated

How about selling construction equipment and materials..?

What kind of material and equipment ?

Tiles, lumber, bricks, electrical wire, nailguns, mixers, saws, shovels, grinders...

arash.qanavati12 :

Hi

Appreciated

Best thing is to conduct an analysis of your target market so you can develop a business plan and projection of the viability of your business..

A lot of the cheaper end tools and materials etc are Chinese made/sourced but it depends exactly what it is.  Materials from Iran would be more difficult for logistics but could be more unique.

You might want to consider sending raw or semi-finished materials like marble or granite here for finishing. There's potentially a market for high end finished products like marble flooring, tiles or kitchen surfaces. 

Tastes are different here - more European of course - so ornate "bling" type materials likely to  sink without trace unless they are for a special purpose like renovation or offices.

For retail, people are not rich so it'd have to be on the cheaper end.

fluffy2560 :
arash.qanavati12 :

Hi

Appreciated

Best thing is to conduct an analysis of your target market so you can develop a business plan and projection of the viability of your business..

A lot of the cheaper end tools and materials etc are Chinese made/sourced but it depends exactly what it is.  Materials from Iran would be more difficult for logistics but could be more unique.

You might want to consider sending raw or semi-finished materials like marble or granite here for finishing. There's potentially a market for high end finished products like marble flooring, tiles or kitchen surfaces. 

Tastes are different here - more European of course - so ornate "bling" type materials likely to  sink without trace unless they are for a special purpose like renovation or offices.

For retail, people are not rich so it'd have to be on the cheaper end.

Thanks my friend
But if a shop sell everything cheap, how to make a profit?

I want to invest and then have profits.
So,maybe selling construction equipment and materials is not good for your market

arash.qanavati12 :

Thanks my friend

So,maybe selling construction equipment and materials is not good for your market

Making a profit is the same problem for everyone everywhere! 

Over regulation, interfering bureaucracy and poor language skills are a problem here.   There are far easier places to make money.  Hungary is not a big rich country - small country, small market, smaller opportunities,   

If you want to open a small general shop selling small scale equipment or materials, there's not much that distinguishes you from anyone else.  On the other hand, if you have a unique product, you have more scope.

There's no magic to it, just needs good research, business model and capital (cash).

fluffy2560 :
arash.qanavati12 :

Thanks my friend

Over regulation, interfering bureaucracy and poor language skills are a problem here.   There are far easier places to make money.  Hungary is not a big rich country - small country, small market, smaller opportunities,   

If you want to open a small general shop selling small scale equipment or materials, there's not much that distinguishes you from anyone else.  On the other hand, if you have a unique product, you have more scope.

There's no magic to it, just needs good research, business model and capital (cash).

Thanks for your reply

Which market do you suggest  for better profit and more opportunities

arash.qanavati12 :
fluffy2560 :
arash.qanavati12 :

Thanks my friend

Thanks for your reply

Which market do you suggest  for better profit and more opportunities

There's a saying: "How long is piece of string?" 

It means no-one knows that answer.

If I had the perfect answer, I'd make a fortune. And the answer is not "2 x 1/2 it's length".

In summary, it depends on what you are selling, to whom and where. Therefore you need to research your market

You could always invest in stocks and shares to lower your entry costs or take up  of financing projects in return for a share.

There's a bit of a property thing going on here at the moment. 

I've always thought that there should be demand for small scale low unit cost housing estates here.  I do not mean apartments, I mean energy efficient quality houses with gardens.  Everyone seems to build their own individual houses rather than small planned estates with 10-50 houses. Or small housing blocks in a "garden setting".

In my own country (UK), they have almost production line smaller houses they put up quickly and they usually build mixed housing estates of 1000s of smaller houses (1, 2, 3 or 4 bedroom places).  The demand is there as we (in the UK) have changing demographics - increasing population of single people. 

In Hungary, as far as I can recall, the population is in decline as people migrate to better opportunities.

fluffy2560 :

In summary, it depends on what you are selling, to whom and where.

Regarding the "to whom": if you are selling wholesale to contractors then your buyers will also need to "know you". Connections are very important here. You have to "know a guy". Without such contacts, don't even bother.

And retail may require an OKJ certificate:

http://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.ph … 95#3599725