Malaysian language studies in KL?

Hi,

A bit delayed, but in October we are relocating from Thailand to Malaysia. Me myself am employed by a HK based company, so my days are fully booked. My wife on the other hand will need to find something to fill up her days with as our son will be in school. From experience living in different places around the world over the years, a good way to get "familiar" with the new culture is to learn the local language, in this case bahasa malaysia.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to a university or collage that offers full time malaysian language studies, preferably as centrally located in KL as possible as we will be living a stone throw from KLCC. I have searched the web and the only place I have found is the "Centre for Language Studies" in Sarawak... I have also looked at the "studymalaysia" webpage without success.

Best Regards

Kent

You can visit the website of YMCA Kuala Lumpur. Direct Link below:
http://www.ymcakl.com/index.php?choice=7011

azumi25188 wrote:

You can visit the website of YMCA Kuala Lumpur. Direct Link below:
http://www.ymcakl.com/index.php?choice=7011

Thanks for the link, I have contacted them! The courses offered by YMCA seem to be a bit on the "small" side; I am looking to study language full time for at least one semester. So if anyone else knows any Uni offering this, don't hesitate to post in the thread.

Kent

If you are planning to use the language just as conversation, I suggest that you mix around with Malays instead of having a formal class. Since there are a lot of differences.

Ie, "How are you?" which in Malay "Apa khabar?" which formally pronounce as "A-pa ha-ba?" but it is normally pronounce as "A-pe ka-ba?" and sometimes can be "A-pe ka-bo?" or "pe-ka-bo/ba?"..

bornd wrote:

If you are planning to use the language just as conversation, I suggest that you mix around with Malays instead of having a formal class. Since there are a lot of differences.

Ie, "How are you?" which in Malay "Apa khabar?" which formally pronounce as "A-pa ha-ba?" but it is normally pronounce as "A-pe ka-ba?" and sometimes can be "A-pe ka-bo?" or "pe-ka-bo/ba?"..

I understand what you mean, it is similar with the pronounciation in Thailand. Still, a beginners full time course is still prefered as this will teach the basics as there is no previous knowledge of the language.

So if anyone knows any Uni or collage that offers someting like Preparatory Bahasa Malaysia course on a full time basis near KLCC, please let me know!

Kent

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum]

Hello myteacher30,

Thank you for your information. As you see the last post in this thread is over a year old and I have been in Malaysia for soon 6 months, thus the issue has been taken care of.

Kent

Oh ok then. Thank you so much for replying me. Welcome to Malaysia. :)

Take care.

Hi Kentonell - Did you find a full time course?

Hello Jayz_MY!

Kindly note that this particular thread is inactive 9months, are you seeking or proposing a course also?

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com Team