Cost of Living in Jakarta: Jakarta Selatan

Hi All,

I was wondering if I can get some help with rental accomodation within Jakarta. I am looking at being transfered over to Jakarta for work and need help looking for accomodation. Unfortunetly my company doesn't sort this out for me :(... GFC or some other excuse?

I am moving more for the experience and to learn a NEW LANGUAGE!!!

I have been told to get something close to work as traffic can be pretty intense. Based on google maps the areas I am interested in are Karet Kuningan, Karet Semanggi, Karet or Kuningan Timur. Hopefully that helps!

Can you let me know if these areas are a nice place to live in Jakarta? What rent will I be expecting to pay for accomodation? I was thinking of a 1 or 2 bedroom appartment depending on costs. Will I be paying rental prices much higher because I am not Indonesian?

Feel free to ask me any other questions if you need more informaiton to to help out.

Thanks Guys and looking forward to seeing you in your beautiful country!

Google - rumah disewa

Oh, if it's priced in Dollars, it's designed for expats with loads of money and no brains so don't even bother looking at it.

mas fred wrote:

Oh, if it's priced in Dollars, it's designed for expats with loads of money and no brains so don't even bother looking at it.

That's exactly what I thought but can't seem to really find any other websites. . Does Jakarta have a website for rental apartments? Or is my best bet to wait and start looking when I arrive?

Don't worry about the "US$" on this one; they mean Rp

http://www.tokobagus.com/halaman/lokasi … search.asp

Or just do the google I suggested before.

there are only few web for searching apartment rental like sewa-apartment.net or jualsewaapartment.com ( sewa means rent) and much better if you could understand bahasa first ;).
i was looking to rent apartment last year for months and contacting loads of the people listed in the web, found out that some times the price listed on the web is not always same as the real price once you call them, eventhough its not much different though, and im not sure if all of these people can speak advanced english too considering renting apartment isnt as simple as you go to resto to order food.
i sugggest you to get someone local from your company to help (which i guess it should be part of their responsibility to help you out ) or contact agency companies such as ray white as a start. rent for 1 month first if you worry its going to be too expensive.
if you wanna try to contact the individual agents from the web, i still keep some names including the agent that found me apartment, you can pm me ;)
good luck!

Yes, http://www.sewa-apartemen.net/ is a pretty good source. You can ofcourse translate it to English.
Here's what I found for you
http://www.sewa-apartemen.net/23538/sew … hed-23-br/  This one is Karet Semanggi.
http://www.sewa-apartemen.net/12203/dis … furnished/ Karet Semanggi
http://www.sewa-apartemen.net/19377/sew … ndominium/

Goodluck!

Hi,I just arrived in Jakarta myself and went around looking for accomodation as well.The prices range from 45 dollars per day for short stays and 12 000 for a house around those areas.The problem am experiencing is that landlords want rental for upto 4 years in advance.Am negotiating a one year payment at least.Most partments are fully furnished though, which is a bonus for me.
Disebo

https://www.expat.com/en/housing/asia/i … n-tow.html I am still looking for flatmate :)

Thanks for all the help guys.

I have arrived and am looking for a place close around Mega Kunningan, epicentrium and casablanca.

Places around here are expensive. Looking for a furnished 2 bedroom place but prices are around the $2000/month. I know the area is known to be pricey but does this sound realistic?

Also what is the cost of electricity here. A work colleague received his monthly bill and it was around $400/month. That seems crazy expensive even for Australia standard.

Starting to inspect some apartments tomorrow.

Anyways, any suggestions, let me know!

Electricity prices are dependant on where you are renting and how many AC you have running all day, although 4 million does sound a tad wrong. If you are in a serviced apartment then you need to check how much you are paying as the apartment management will increase the charge for themselves.
$2000 a month is about right in certain parts of the city for fully furnished places and Mega Kuningan is one of those places. You can of course discuss the price with the management. It worth asking for a break down on bills and charges and also the average cost per month as well as anything else they expect you to pay.

If you move to the Epicentrum area then you are surrounded by bars, gyms, cafes etc and it is a very pleasant part of the city but also a little more pricey as it is full of expats.

Dear Cazual,

I don't know whether you have found the apartment or not but I hope this will help if you haven't found yet.
Please check this out :
1. http://www.jual-apartemen.com/7664/jual … n-jakarta/
2. http://www.sewa-apartemen.net/category/ … /bellagio/
3. http://www.sewaapartemen.net/4925/apart … furnished/
I have checked the ads and the rental charge are less than USD 2000/month. Starts from USD 850 and its located in Mega Kuningan. I have friends staying there also.
As for the electricity bill, it really depends on your usage. If you let your AC turn ON a whole day, of course the bill can be up to USD 400/month. But I suggest you to check with the building management first regarding the maintenance charge. Whether it will be billed monthly together with the electricity bill or annual.

Good Luck and please feel free to ask!

My electricity bill usually about 60 Usd per month in taman rasuna kuningan just in front of epicentrum

Hello!

How exciting that you are moving to Jakarta. If you are looking for a nice area to live, then I think you might like Kemang. It's a popular ex-pat spot in Jakarta with lots going on. Expect to pay between 1.5-3.5 thousand US$ per month depending on what you are looking at. Kuningan and epicentrum are expensive because of their proximity to the business district.

Wherever you decide to rent, you will need to pay at least one year upfront rent. In a lot of cases they ask for 2 years rent up front which is a bit scary!

Most companies give some allowance for housing.

Good luck with your search and I hope you find somewhere nice to live soon :)

Lottie

for apartemen rental cost also depending of lenght of stay,size,payment menthod,interior.
as im working on it, and utilitas such of electric and water depending how the way u use it.
and each apartement different cost pet meter3 for water.

if u kinda staying for long term like 1 or 2 year maybe could try unfurnish or semi furnish apartemen which is less price, usually unfurnish apt only ac and water heater inside, but sometimes (kitchen set in it but very rare)

so far i give same price rental whether u are indonesian or non indonesian.

this sunday im setting up potluck dinner with all my clients as 1 of them will be leaving indonesia as his work contract finish this month

For cost of living try this website  www.numbeo.com

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your help. Got a lot of really useful information from everyone. I am finally in Jakarta and have now been here for just over two weeks!

Managed to find a place and agree with you all. Damn expensive living within walking distance to work, but I guess that is the price you have to pay for convinence around here.

Now I guess its time to start meeting people. But I'll guess I'll talk about that in another thread!

Once agian thanks for all your help :)

Cazual wrote:

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your help. Got a lot of really useful information from everyone. I am finally in Jakarta and have now been here for just over two weeks!

Managed to find a place and agree with you all. Damn expensive living within walking distance to work, but I guess that is the price you have to pay for convinence around here.

Now I guess its time to start meeting people. But I'll guess I'll talk about that in another thread!

Once agian thanks for all your help :)

Hey, if you are living around epicentrum kuningan perhaps u wanna join potluck dinner this sunday evening just let me know

Hi.. I'm maria. How long you stay in jakarta?. And where you office? Maybe I can help for apartemen. Hehehehe

Rental accommodation is plentiful and much cheaper if you can pay 12 months in advance. Expect to pay around 30 million rupea a year for a 1 bedroom apartment. kosts (boarding houses) are much cheaper and also plentiful. get a hotel room for a week and just walk around, or talk to your workmates.

(moderated: please post your ad in the housing section)

Dear all,

In 5 days, I arrive, I see, I rented, and I moved In to a fantastic 2 Bedroom Flat at Thamrin Executive Residence, City center.
For the interested ones I can Give by mail the contact of this Almost MAGIC Lady, and she speaks reasonable english as well.

Best Wishes
Pedro Casanova

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum]

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum]

Self renting is alot easier than company being the tenant. As there are VAT tax for company as the tenant. Usually agents posts their units on websites but they do have other units available. I got mine by getting several agents to locate a suitable one based on my location needs. (remember to bargain)