Visas

I'm a US citizen and I'd like to be in Argentina for 6 months. Anyone know how easy it would be to get a visa? I would not be working over there.

Just show up.  Literally go to the country.  They charge you like $120 for a 10 year tourist visa as you arrive at the airport (in dollars please).  I wouldn't bother with anything else unless you know you are going to work for someone there.  IIRC correctly there is a 3 month tourist limit, then you take the Buquebus ferry to Uruguay for a night, and re enter the country for another three months.  I am totally serious.  Same works in uruguay.  Some people do this for YEARS on end and never get any other kind of visa.  No visa needed for Uruguay either.

So what takes you down there anyway?

Things are getting 'messy' there again.  Your dollars are worth a LOT (do not do official exchange rate, sell them in stores and everyone will take them and pay you more).  There is VERY high inflation now, and it will get worse.  They literally blow up the economy there every 10-15 years and it is on the way right now.

If you go, definitely live in a good area (I recomment Recoletta though there are others), only change US dollars as needed (or use a US credit card as much as possible), and don't buy any real estate or make any permanent plans for any time soon.

BA is a totally fabulous city!  I LOVE being there.  Lots of great history, cheap public transit, generally safe during the day in the good neighborhoods, nice shopping, great steaks, etc.  Personally I would live there in a heartbeat, but I would never invest a cent there until the government gets its act together, which at this point may be never.

I agree with the vast majority that you have to say. The dollar advice is spot on. If anything break your budget, bring the $9999 allowed and sell a chunk for a good profit to pay for your trip. IF you want to visit Uruguay which you are a fool not too if in BA then revolve this trip around the renewal of your visa.

Please be aware though that although the 3 months is true it doesn't mean 90 days, (lesson learned for me), it means three months from the stamp.

BA to Colonia is quite expensive and Uruguay is very expensive. If you don't get to go there and your visa runs out .... don't panic, save the 500 pesos or so going there and back and simply pay at the airport a leaving tax/fine/slap on the wrist when you leave, 6 months, 12 months, 6 years later if you wish, provided you have funds to live and you don't cause trouble, we don't care, we like you here :D

To be honest I would just over stay for the 6 months and pay the 300 pesos when you go back to the states ...... and it in no way prohibits you for future visits so don't believe if you are told you will have a black mark ... you will not.

At the time of writing, this info is first hand and fully correct. Hope to have been of some help, si queres algo mas, chiflame.

C