Salary vs living cost!!??

Hi all , i want to ask if we can live in vientiane with 1500 usd salary for a single man ???!!!

When you say we, how many people, adults kids etc.Or just a you and your partner.

stumpy wrote:

When you say we, how many people, adults kids etc.Or just a you and your partner.

no just me alone .

Check out this website.
It will give you a good idea of costs.
www.numbeo.com

I know many that do and many that just survive. Your personal lifestyle will dictate much of that.

However, as of right now the country and in Vientiane proper is pushing a huge development program aimed at attracting tourist. This said, it is prudent to know that this will only force the price of inflation higher for everyone. Even food while abundant is expensive compared to the countryside or even across the river in Thailand.  Housing is rising in cost and they typically asked the foreigner to pay a year in advance. This can be negociated to 6 months depending on your job.

Inflation is around 7 to 8 percent a year I think and salaries are low for most all jobs with the exception of perhaps NGOs and deep pocket companies that bring you in from abroad.

Crime is becoming a problem also. A few years ago it was rare to even hear of anything major. However, purse snatching, robbery, breaking and entering, assault are all on the rise in the capital. This is fueled by many factors but three leaders in discussions are; 1. The police are not the quality you are used to in many areas of duty. 2. Drug addiction  with little known attempt to rid the problem effectively. 3. With little pay the foreigners are seen a rich targets. This will not be solved until jobs and pay become more appropriate for the local population.

So life is like anywhere else here. Know where you go. Avoid dangerous areas and choose your friends wisely.

Many of us live here and are married, work and do o.k. If you are new to this area or international traveling especially in Asia you should expect to go through what we call a learning curve.

(This is solely based on my own observation and experiences.)

T-Lao

Great informative post. Could not agree more.

I've paid just the cost of a month's rent many times in Laos with no one asking me for a 6 months or 1 year advance payment so I don't know what you're talking about.

Depends where you are renting, the quality of the premises, the landlord etc as to how much rent you pay in advance.

Hi!
I am thinking about lmoving to Luang Prabang for a job.
The salary is around 800$ per month. I am single and I have to pay for a rent, food, insurance and all the rest. Does this look enough to live correctly?
Thank you very much for your help!

melia69
I would have to answer your question with NO! We have a school in Luang Prabang and we pay almost double that. Our teachers struggle. Remember it is a tourist area and it has both high and low seasons but it is a pricy environment. I would recommend you avoid this offer unless you want to work many more extra hours doing tutoring or something.

Melia69

What T-Lao says is correct. Check out this website for cost of living www.numbeo.com  it gives info for many countries and places in the world.

It is about 6.6 million Kip.Normally it is enough for one month but dont know about insurance may not be enough.I am also working in Laungprabang. My monthly expenses are not more than 250 usd it includes saturdays outing also.may be 100-200 usd for shearing house .so it can be managed with your amount