Gozo v Malta

I've been a little bit disturbed by reading in the papers about the apparent rivalry between Gozitans and Maltese. I have found some of the comments disturbing, relating to Gozitans not wanting anyone to vist the beautiful island. This has been countered by Maltese 'having a go' about prices, parking and unfriendliness.
I know this tends to happen around the world especially when there is an island off a main island and a lot could be put down to rivalry.
But, are we going to be welcome?
I know the answer will depend to a great extent upon our attitudes but is there any substance in what I have been reading?
PS. It may amuse you but the only parking ticket I ever got in my life was on Gozo, in Rabat :D

relating to Gozitans not wanting anyone to vist the beautiful island

It's not anyone, but Maltese.

I agree with George. You will be accepted by Maltese and Gozitans but do expect to be ripped off. If you get parking fines when you're living here make sure you contest them.

lambada wrote:

If you get parking fines when you're living here make sure you contest them.

IF they weren't issued properly. We've had 3 parking tickets in 10 years, all issued fairly. At least they aren't expensive (at € 23) compared to the UK (£60-100 I believe ??). If you contest and lose, you pay extra (its either 50% or 100% more)

georgeingozo wrote:
lambada wrote:

If you get parking fines when you're living here make sure you contest them.

IF they weren't issued properly. We've had 3 parking tickets in 10 years, all issued fairly. At least they aren't expensive (at € 23) compared to the UK (£60-100 I believe ??). If you contest and lose, you pay extra (its either 50% or 100% more)

Just as an aside...........I contested mine as it stated I had parked in front of a garage. I had not. I went to the police station and someone called the police officer who was then at lunch and he agreed that I had not parked as such and the cost was halved. I also remember he had a great sense of humour when we initially discussed the ticket as I arrived as he was doing so, after a lorry had driven into my hire jeep!!

georgeingozo wrote:

IF they weren't issued properly.

That's what I meant :)

South African expats we know are very happy on Gozo. In fact love the space and pace of life. Only go to Malta if they HAVE to. We'd be tempted if Malta didn't offer us more of what we want to do and experience.

Gozo is indeed beautiful..but too quiet for us....horses for courses and all that.

biddy wrote:

South African expats we know are very happy on Gozo. In fact love the space and pace of life. Only go to Malta if they HAVE to. We'd be tempted if Malta didn't offer us more of what we want to do and experience.

Our thinking is that if we like Gozo (I know I do and I have always preferred Gozo as it reminds me of when I was first on Malta in the 1970's but Lynn may find it a bit too quiet) and we settle there if we want to do things on Malta we can go over for a few days at a time, stay with friends or in a hotel.
Quality of accommodation is excellent on Gozo and at lower prices compared to Malta so we could afford to do this.
We have already located an apartment at Xaghra, which is where we are staying for 6 weeks in 2 weeks time. If we like that we have first refusal on it for a long rent.
Our standby location is Marsascala, which is where we are staying for 2 weeks when we first move permanently in July so we can get registrations etc sorted.
Enjoy your trip and maybe see you out there.