Moving to Malta and childrens education

Hi,
First time post so here goes
I am moving to Malta in april and could do with some advise on who to contact ref schools for my kids.

We are moving to Mellieha area and would like any help on registering my 2 boys and 1 girl ages 10,7,2........ my middle boy is recovering from cancer treatment which he was diagnosed at 3 1/2 so missed the early years in nursary/primary school which means he's about 18 months behind most 7 year old although he is rapidly catching up but we know the likelyhood of getting "upto" normal levels as our education system advises us.

What are the schools like for children like him ?

regards

marc

Hello Marc.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Hope you'll get some informations from other members soon.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hi Marc,

you should check out the schooling section which is full of information.

For your seven year old it could be difficult as you also have the language problem , especially in public schools. The question will need a lot of research to make the best decision.

Why are you moving to Malta and why Mellieha ? Because of a job ?

Cheers
Ricky

Hi Ricky,
Firstly thanks for you reply.

We have been waiting to move to Malta,Mellieha after my in laws moved there 3 years ago we also have other family on Gozo as well as friends amongst the expat community in Qawra/Mellieha as well as locals in both towns.

The other reason is to do with a job as my wife is a staff nurse and I am a prison officer which I know from our Maltese friends(a nurse and police officer)that our jobs are in demand also as exRAF I can find employment at the airport.

We had to wait due to my sons cancer treatment but we now have the green like from his consultant but one thing they said was he continues his blood tests at the oncology unit at Boffa,but when we stayed last summer at my in laws his blood count was like no time in the UK and also after we stayed in Decemeber he still did so well so if I put a finger on any reason to come to Malta it's the best for my children

regards

Marc

Hi Marc,

good reasons to move to Malta.

I hope you get other replies on the schooling questions as my kids are well beyond that age and not even in Malta-)))

It does sound like a lot of commuting to and from Mellieha. Do you speak Maltese? I would have thought that Maltese is a requirement to work at Corradino (Hilton)?

All your job locations are probably situated in the centre or south of Malta.

Cheers
Ricky

Thanks Ricky,
I forgot to say my in laws live on Triq il fortizza,Mellieha so near the bus station.......... we have been coming to Malta for quite a while and know the customs and the fun with the buses :/.
We both have a basic understanding of Maltese which we know we need for the Hospitals/care homes aswell as the prison/airport but are prepared for the commute as can't be anyless time(roads pending)than what we commute at the moment(40-50 mins for me)

Regards
Marc

are you looking for private or public schools? San Andrea School (Private)might be a good option for you, several international students and from Mellieha (I live there) you are always against traffic that is a plus.

Thanks for the help :)

If we can we would like to get the kids into state school so the kids intergrate quicker but private is an option
regards