Help! Electricity Bills

Hi everyone,

I'm having some problems with my Landlady. I have been renting an apartment with a friend in Bucharest for about 4 months. Today, the landlady called me saying that our electricity was going to be cut off soon because we had not payed the bill and that when we pay it will receive a 300euro fine. However, we received no bill for electricity in the post. We received only one bill which we payed at BRD, we both assumed that this covered everything.

Admittedly, we should have translated the bill but is there anything that can be done? After all we received no bill in the post. Is there anyway we can prove this?

Thanks

Hi Annisa,

It could be that your landlady is trying to scam you, it could be that the bills haven't been sent out to you. Either way, if I were you I would go to your nearest Enel/Electrica office (most sectors have one or two) with a Romanian speaker (assuming your Romanian isn't up to scratch), give your address and the name of the person the bill is usually made out to (although the address should be enough) and ask how much is outstanding, and pay it. Do this straight away because if they do disconnect you, you will have to pay a reconnection fee. Assuming you only have three months to pay, it shouldn't be too much, maybe 200 RON.

While you are there, ask them to check their records to see which address the bills are being sent out to, because they can be sent to a different address to that where the energy is consumed. If the address is wrong, just pay the bill but don't change the address (you won't be able to anyway as you're not the owner). Tell the landlady about this and that should be enough to show you're not liable for not receiving the bills. However, if you have received one bill, the chances are the billing address is correct and something else is happening. Worth checking though.

Lastly, if you get to the Enel office and pay before they cut you off, you won't paid a 300 Euro fine. There might be a late-payment penalty to pay, but it'll be nothing much, a matter of a few RON.

Best of luck and let us know if you resolve the problem.

Thank you for responding to my post. Do you know where I can find a list of Enel offices because I've never seen any? I live in Unirii do you know if there are any in this area?

Hi,

have a look at this link:
http://www.enel.ro/eng/clienti/download … i_site.pdf

Hope it helps you!:)

Anyone knows how long it takes for them to reconnect electricity? It's been a week without power and I'm dying :mad: