Can you answer my questions about your VERY high culture

Dear Vietnamese Friends!
I respect your friendly nation!!!
Can you answer my question about your   VERY high culture
I visited more countries more than  30
And I visited almost all Asia countries  but I never saw non culture(lack of culture) as in your country.
So you see below my questions. Please clarify
1)    Why do people sneeze very loud??? When they did it I could hear at the distance about 200 meters
I advice to close mouth by the hand as microbes leaving mouth . it is simple
2)    Why nobody keeps line at hospital, at shop… ??? I wanted to pay my money  to cashier but many girls tried to escape line to be the first.
I advise to keep line(turn) always as in Sinagapore,M alasia…..and Europe too
3)    Why everybody drops any garbage to floor at cafe your cafe looks like as a rubbish heap
Not only street. Inside of cafe too It is normal for you. Does Nobody respect the work of cleaner?
4)    Why Do Vietnamese girls use the pyjamas when walking on street in the center of HCM ?

I don't belive that they don't have money

5)    Why  do drivers of cars and motorcycle use non stop klaxon(whistle) when driving

You should understand that nobody can not recognise who gives signal. When all drivers of HCM press klaxon as baby  It is danger. I never saw before you can use one in case of danger to inform but not every 1 sec

6)    Why do not the  drivers of a  car stop  during green traffic light.? They never keep away a pedestrian. They can stop when only straight road. Is that Vietnamese traffic rule?

It is normal rule always to give  a way during green traffic light  IT IS LAW!!in all coutries.

7)    I lived at many hotels in Vietnam. I saw many times the combs at the  room as hairdryer or teapot
I am asking why? One man do his hair next day other girl does(comb)
You don't afraid head louses it is right? In this case you can sell used toilet paper in shops as I see this is the same

8)    I saw a single cup in pharmacy shop  to drink water from 20 lit bottle. One man drinks than other….. it is terrible

9)    Why nobody gives a knife at restarant to cut meat. I ordered a big piece of meet the waiter brought  only  the chopsticks .can you image it.?it was not only one case at restaurant.

And last question!  Number 10

Why do you use the face mask when driving motorbike ? i was in Singapore, Brazil,South Africa
Belive me the temperature is the same.   But nobody does it

I saw many butifull Vietnamese girls in mask  After putting on they looked like as the dogs.

Please excuse me for my stuid question. but my mind cannot understand. Your peoples MUST CORRECT a little before invitining any foreigners . Somitemes I am tired of your lack of culture
I am living 2 years in HCM already.

meadow20122 wrote:

Why do you use the face mask when driving motorbike ? i was in Singapore, Brazil,South Africa
Belive me the temperature is the same.   But nobody does it

I'm not Vietnamese, but I assure you, if you ever ride a motorbike or bicycle (I do both) in Vietnam, you will want to wear a mask to protect your lungs from the traffic pollution.

meadow20122 wrote:

I saw many butifull Vietnamese girls in mask  After putting on they looked like as the dogs.

They are protecting their beautiful faces from too much sun exposure (and their lungs from the traffic pollution).

meadow20122 wrote:

Please excuse me for my stuid question. but my mind cannot understand. Your peoples MUST CORRECT a little before invitining any foreigners . Somitemes I am tired of your lack of culture
I am living 2 years in HCM already.

If you continue with your present attitude, there may be a great many Vietnamese who are tired of you as well.

2) Why nobody keeps line at hospital, at shop? I wanted to pay my money to cashier but many girls tried to escape line to be the first.

Just like Italians (in Toronto). I simply say OI! and explain I am getting served. Often the person serving you would like to say the same.

3) Why everybody drops any garbage to floor at cafe your cafe looks like as a rubbish heap
Not only street. Inside of cafe too. It is normal for you. Does Nobody respect the work of cleaner?

Easier to sweep it up. Garbage dumped on the street is free; if in a garbage disposal container - you get to pay.
No, the cleaner sweeps them up, puts the garbage in his cart and every so often meets a garbage truct into which the garbage is tipped. The the truck carts it off to Cu Chi (soon Long An).

4) Why Do Vietnamese girls use the pyjamas when walking on street in the centre of HCM?

They are house clothes, just as are the pyjama suits worn by men. They usually have bras and panties underneath.

I don't believe that they don't have money

Why do you think that. There is an internal pocket near the belt line of the pants.

5) Why  do drivers of cars and motorcycle use non stop klaxon(whistle) when driving.

It's warning that someone is about to make an illegal turn or some surprise move.
They also like testing their horns.

6) Why do not the  drivers of a  car stop  during green traffic light? They never keep away a pedestrian. They can stop when only straight road. Is that Vietnamese traffic rule?

Pedestrians ignore traffic lights and cross 'against' the lights.
The law requires vehicles stop for pedestrians crossing in a pedestrian crossing - except they never do!
VN supposedly uses the French "priorite a droit". Taxis and bus drivers often us th "priorite moi" system.

7) I lived at many hotels in Vietnam. I saw many times the combs at the  room as hairdryer or teapot. I am asking why? One man do his hair next day other girl does (comb). You don't afraid head louses it is right?

They are courtesy products, just like soap or shower caps - you can keep them. At my wife's hotels these are soaked in disinfectant before re-use.

8) I saw a single cup in pharmacy shop  to drink water from 20 lit bottle. One man drinks than other….. it is terrible.

It is a complimentary service. They are minimising costs and resources. Don't like it, go buy your own bottle.

9) Why nobody gives a knife at restaurant to cut meat. I ordered a big piece of meet the waiter brought  only  the chopsticks .can you image it.?it was not only one case at restaurant.

Just ask, and they will get you one. Cutting meat with chopsticks is easy. Hold the chopsticks vertically and push in the meat. Take one chopstick in each hand and lever apart, tearing the meat. Repeat as required.

10. Why do you use the face mask when driving motorbike ? i was in Singapore, Brazil,South Africa. Believe me the temperature is the same.   But nobody does it

Stops the exhaust grit from going up your nose and in your mouth.

Besides, they don't want Foreigners gawking at them and it gives you a chance to develope your 'eye' language.

You should have, by now, been able to develope at least a basic skill in identifying females by just observing the area left exposed by the masks.

Maybe you don't mix with VNese enough?
----------------------------------------------
If you've been here two years, why have you not asked VNese?

As for changing their ways, WHY THE HELL SHOULD THEY? Just to stop YOU getting upset? The Vietnamese are living in their country, practising their culture and YOU want them to change?

They have fought the Chinese, French and Americans to gain their own self-determination so whatever they choose to do should be fine with any Foreigner visiting here. You always have the airport option.

I am surprised you didn't ask why men hold men's hand and women hold women's hands. Or why they call 'cell' phones, handphones or handsets. Or why they overtake before turning right.

Q. Tell me, WHY DOES THE GERMAN ARMY DRILL HOLES IN IT'S SPOONS? That's strange.

Q. And why do some Germans use the affectation "Von"?

hurah!! hurrah! You cant change people's culture living in their own country, live with it (happi;y, u been here for 2 years anyway.)

I am vietnamese...and I think you very disappointed with us. You are right when you ask us 10 question. However, I think it is normal in a developing country like VN. You can find out the advantages point in VN like: easy going, opened mind, enthusiasm, friendly...And i have an advise to you: why don't you try to become a friend with me to find out them easier :)) (just kidding).

I love Jaitch's reply. I'm sure you have a return ticket, I don't know why you want to suffer here?

Judy.lovely wroteI am Vietnamese...and I think you very disappointed with us. You are right when you ask us 10 question. However, I think it is normal in a developing country like VN. You can find out the advantages point in VN like: easy going, opened mind, enthusiasm, friendly...And i have an advise to you: why don't you try to become a friend with me to find out them easier :)) (just kidding).

First of all, VNse, in VN, are free, as the law allows, to pursue their culture without reference to ANYONE else.

If OP is disappointed then it is in his mind. How come he hasn't left after TWO YEARS of pain and suffering? How come so many Foreigners come to VN to live?

VN isn't a 'developing' country, it has a rich history, it is strong AND it even had a trade surplus recently.

People come here to experience the difference, just as if you went to Germany you would see massive consumption of beer drunk by guys wearing leather shorts with suspenders (braces). Or Switzerland where they put bells on cows necks and blow alphorn/alpenhorn/alpine horn/labrophones in the mountains.

Greeks have some different habits, too, but few question them. What happens in the hills is between them and their 'friends'. And they get drunk in churches, on name days, but no one complains.

No need to get defensive, VNese have good reason to be proud, especially considering the absolute chaos that remained after 1975.

Thanks Jaitch. :D

Dear 'Meadow20122' - I lived in Sai Gon for a year (less 2 weeks)this last time around, before having to come back to Australia (VERY temporarily) Just can't wait to get back 'home' again - SAI GON !

There are many differences between countries and cultures every where in the world.

SO - if you're now happy with the way things are done in Viet Nam, as only a part-time resident there myself, (VERY happily married now to my SWEET AND BEAUTIFUL VN LADY WIFE) may I make an honest and constructive suggestion to you ? 

Having dealt with Jaitch on many occasions myself when in need of help or assistance getting sometime done or sorted out while in VN, I can personally guarantee he knows of things he gives FREE advice on - I think you should read, then re-read, and read once again Jaitch's comments - TRY to absorb the things he wrote ! (and the others like Vanh & Judy.lovely) 

Unlike those sweet people mentioned above, I can only offer you the advice of a dumb, long time combat soldier - somewhat blunt and straight to the point - - -
IF you don't like the way the Vietnamese people run THEIR country, I suggest you hurry out to Tan Son Nhat International Airport with your passport in your grubby little hands - and jump on the first flight OUT of Viet Nam ! 

I have witnessed Viet Nam's long struggle to recover from a long, unjust and bloody terrible war and they have recovered remarkably well - better than any other country I know of and WITHOUT the massive free handouts from the so-called 'developed world' countries !

It's pretty damned difficult to keep your countries and peoples culture identity together under such conditions and lets not forget the thousand years of war and occupation by the Chinese before the European lead wars !

The Vietnamese people I met and had dealings with are some of the friendliest, hard working, open and wonderful peoples in the world !

YES we should send all the Vietnamese to a cultural course.. perhaps in Germany?
But wait, the Vietnamese are already in Germany and they assimilated  into the LOCAL culture and they took along  some of their less offending cultural exchange.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vietnamese … in_Germany

vanh wrote:

I love Jaitch's reply. I'm sure you have a return ticket, I don't know why you want to suffer here?

Hi Vanh - + 1 - make that +1000, on your agreement with Jaitch.:D

If it comes to that, I'm quite sure most of the others on this 'expat's blog site', would be only too willing, as an act of kindness, to take up a collection to pay for a one way ticket for 'Meadow20122' to leave Viet Nam !

Or am I becoming too 'thin skinned' when it comes to 'outsiders' complaining about my new home ???  :P

Yes, you yourself said it! You do ask stupid questions and only someone with a 'superiority complex' would put such questions but mind you, not after 3 months but 2 years in this blessed country. The Vietnamese have their own culture - music, literature, language etc which borders close to 3000 years and justifiably proud too. They have their own ways of doing things and at most times, it works here with a certain amount of flexibility and tolerance. It is we, who have to adapt. Most of us have our own reasons for wanting to live here but evidently it has to do with enjoying our personal life more, be it at lower costs or wanting a different experience from the usual, offered in this country. Many of us also chose to settle with a better half from this exotic nation.

meadow20122

It is said that 'When you are in Rome do as the Romans do".

When you comment anything you should see it from 2 faces. You should look at the better face, you will find many amazing things in life.  If not, you will make yourself sorrow.

You should buy a ticket to another paradise and enjoy it by yourself.  I think it is the best way for you.

Meadow,

Pretty ethnic view points you have there. Try in look and understand it from their viewpoint. Would you like someone to come to your country and tell you that's not the way we do it?

It's very nice of you to have voiced your problem and seeking for explanation after such a long time, 2 years of wondering.
Don't worry, most behaviors described in your questions is not related to culture, or even education. They belongs to individual reactions, which means they might not supposed or prohibited to act so, but they choose their ways. Many Vietnamese also detest such acts.
From the replies of above members, it's obviously that just like you, they also suffer such bad experiences, sometimes somewhere with somebody. But they are still fine and happy. So, why not you? I hope you enjoy here, too.
P.S:
- For questions about sneezing, queue, garbage, bike horn. Yes, it's very rude of that person to do so. Try to avoid or neglect them.
- For other questions, I have relatively same idea with Jaitch.

Meadow,

Way to make a first impression, there!  What a mindset you have to cross national borders and cultural divides with, too...

When you get back to Germany, can I have a postcard?

Sincerely,
Anatta

Wild_1 wrote:

Meadow,

Way to make a first impression, there!  What a mindset you have to cross national borders and cultural divides with, too...

Sincerely,
Anatta

Wild1
I know that you desperately want the job as my personal assistant and secretary, but I only hire young and beautiful sweet things, not old and ugly trolls like you, so nice try.

Anyway, it seems that young man Meadow here suffers the typical culture shock. Unfortunately, he seems to be stuck forever in the negotiation phase, even after 2 years, so let's have mercy on him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_shock

Wild_1 wrote:

Meadow,

Sincerely,
Anatta

+ 1 - - And be sure to get uncle Adolf to give you an autograph on the post card as well before you send it !  :P

gee...i think this question should be sent to Education department or Goverment, they know well :D

Flip,

Not The Adoff???  I bet you that if Meadow can get me that postcard, I can help end all of his Vietnamese frustrations and slap Anatta out of this delusional state?

Hahaha..big laught with your trouble!
At first your mention is CULTURE, How many people have you seen and talk? What do you know about Vietnamese.
I feel your knowledge is too low or too limited, sorry if I wrong but after read your topic I feel very sorry for you.
I mean your concept just see one aspect only.
I do not know which restaurant have you been, But I am alway get good service...I guess may you come to Le Duong (street) restaurant with very cheap price and you get bad service.

Anyway take it easy to alive, you can not change
anyone if they do not want to change by themselves.
Mean you do not need to be boredom like that You can back to your home and sleep with your paradise.

I wish God can change your mind and make you happy with this life!

Firstly  why do you ask me about Germany? Please come to other forum. I am not from Berlin! LOL  you are  the naïve sheeps. Do you still belive the profile?
HeY Guys from USA!! You are the great nationality of MC donalds.  Do you miss  here about fast food? I don't know why did Vn people forgive you . it is politics it is sad other forum...
Later I will comment all your text.

Lucy hoang wrote:

Hahaha..big laught with your trouble!
At first your mention is CULTURE, How many people have you seen and talk? What do you know about Vietnamese.
I feel your knowledge is too low or too limited, sorry if I wrong but after read your topic I feel very sorry for you.
I mean your concept just see one aspect only.
I do not know which restaurant have you been, But I am alway get good service...I guess may you come to Le Duong (street) restaurant with very cheap price and you get bad service.

Anyway take it easy to alive, you can not change
anyone if they do not want to change by themselves.
Mean you do not need to be boredom like that You can back to your home and sleep with your paradise.

I wish God can change your mind and make you happy with this life!

Please tell me  why should i change my opinon
if i see only rubbish heap not as a good country.
Please tell me why is vn country considerered a perfect country
Correct me
Give me 10 reasons. MAy be i will belive

[moderated]

Meadow,

I thought you would be half way home by now.  Why, man?  Why prolong such agonies???

Then, what is up with all these hates, man?  Tell me, do you sit in your room with the lights off and curtains down???

Wild_1 wrote:

Flip,

Not The Adoff???  I bet you that if Meadow can get me that postcard, I can help end all of his Vietnamese frustrations and slap Anatta out of this delusional state?

SAY WHAT ????????  :o

Uncle Adolf was just a VERY mis-understood poor little man - but I would have loved to use him and the rest of his thugs for target practice - me being Jewish and all !  :P:lol:

Surely you don't wish to spoil Anatta's happy little dream world - do you ??? 
You are truly a terrible man !  :lol::lol::lol:

( Nothing personal Anatta - got major surgery coming up and need a good laugh sometimes ! TRUST me - getting old is a real bitch !!! Anything over 35 and your body starts falling apart ! :D  )

Wild_1 wrote:

Meadow,

I thought you would be half way home by now.  Why, man?  Why prolong such agonies???

Then, what is up with all these hates, man?  Tell me, do you sit in your room with the lights off and curtains down???

MMMMMMMMMMMMMM  ????  Hey 'Wild _1' - I've heard rumours about men who hide in dark rooms with the lights off and the curtains down and what they do at those times - do you think those rumours are true ??? :o:rolleyes:

DAMN IT !  Been away from my SWEET, WONDERFUL & BEAUTIFUL VN PARTNER / WIFE for only 18 days and I'm going crazy already ! :(

meadow20122 wrote:

Moderated

Dear little 'meadow20122',
WELL !!!  That little dribble of yours certainly puts to rest any questions I might have had about you being a racist !

I'm Jewish - born in Australia and been unfortunate enough to be in the wrong countries for a LOT of the fighting during my lifetime. :(

My SWEET AND VERY BEAUTIFUL PARTNER AND WIFE is a very gentle VN Buddhist and has she has done her best to convert me to the ways of peace and harmony - - -  care to make some derogatory statement about MY RACE or RELIGION ??? :rolleyes:

Stupidity is not exclusive to just one race or color - as your comments here have clearly shown to everybody.  :P

By the way - your spelling could use a bit of working on - have you thought about going back to pre-school classes ???  :D

meadow20122 > good bye

-that *** thread is closed-

Closed