CapitalOne bank website access

I have not been able to access the CapitalOne bank website for several days. I have confirmed with friends, colleagues, (all on different ISP's) and even my ISP administrator that this isn't just my problem. I just called CapitalOne and reported that their website can't be accessed here. (Of course, they were not aware of it, or at least didn't admit to me they were aware.)

Any of you here in HCMC (or anywhere else in Vietnam) feel free to try it: www.capitalone.com

Report back here if you can access the site. Hopefully, they'll have it resolved for access by all within a few days.

Try Tor Browser.

cheeha,
Respectfully - I have lived here 6-1/2 years, and until the past couple days, have never had a problem accessing that site by any conventional means. I know about Tor browser - have used it in the past to access Facebook in Vietnam. However, that is not the answer - just a temporary bandage that does not solve the problem. Furthermore, I WILL NOT transmit my username and password to my bank account via a shady proxy server. I assume that because you are recommending it, you were not able to access the site by conventional means either.

Thanks for your input.

Well I cannot access it via normal channels. However I can via TOR, if you change your mind :D

saigonmonkey I can't access it down here either. I'm using IE9 and my ISP is VNPT.

^Thanks guys.

They told me they had updated their site around the first of the year. I'm guessing that during the update, they inadvertently blocked access from Vietnam (and possibly other countries) IP addresses. Up until now, most people who couldn't access it probably just thought that either the site was temporarily down for all, or that their particular ISP had a temporary problem. Even for maintenance and updates, bank sites like this are very seldom ever down for more than 12 hours.

Saigonmonkey,

I just accessed it fine from Bein Hoa.

Parmyd,
If you're using a VPN or proxy server, you can access it. That's because you're showing the website a non-Vietnam IP address, which is not blocked by the site. I was in Bien Hoa about one hour before your post and could not access it then. I'm at home in Q7 now, and still cannot access it. I've actually had this problem with them before, about 8 years ago when I lived in China. Took them about two weeks to get it resolved. They're so concerned about hackers they set the site to block all non-western IP addresses - until enough of their customers living in those areas complain, and they loosen it a little. I could understand it then, because at that time, Chinese hackers were a big problem. Don't know about now though.

Saigonmonkey,

You are correct, I forgot I had my VPN on. Sorry if I gave you any false hope.

Thanks for clarifying Parmyd.

I have an update: The CapitalOne website is not accessable ANYWHERE in the world, OUTSIDE of the USA.

LOL at their ineptitude to get this resolved promptly for their many customers abroad.

They even sent me a e-mail, asking me to take a few minutes and complete a survey telling them how they did during my last contact with them. I CAN'T do the survey, because I can't access their site!

I'm gonna have some fun with that one, once they do get it back up. (OR, use TOR browser and do it now, but that would take a little of the fun out of it.)

CNN has just reported that the top 20 American bank computers had been "attacked."  They are accusing Iran for sponsoring this.  You guys better start putting your money under your mattresses, Saigonmonkey.

Great news for all those concerned. It seems the Cap 1 site is up and running again! I just logged on, no problemo.

Right you are, lydo. Thanks for posting. I had not thought about checking it yet today.