French Student Visa

I recently got my French Student Visa for this Spring semester abroad. However, the Student Visa only goes until the 8th of June. I don't know why the would do this to me when the letter from the French University I am attending stated that the last day of school was the 14th of June and I had bought a plane ticket that departs Paris for the US on the 15th. I hadn't planned on extending my visa as I have an internship lined up, but I also don't want to overstay my student visa since I've heard that if you over stay your visa they might not let you back into France.

Can anyone give me some advice? It's killing me since I've had to go through so much additional paperwork, and pay so many fees for wire transfers as I am doing a direct exchange program and not a Pan-Americain study abroad program like CIEE.

Sorry if this sounds whinny, I don't mean to mindlessly complain, genuinely seeking answers.

Additional info: I am American.

Dear Aredhel,

You just take a document from your department or any one of the professor that your program is going to finish 20 or 1 month later or any related document with your visa and passport to the prefecture, they will extend your visa

If not let me know

regards,
SRINIVAS