Weather in February

Hi everyone,

I have just booked a couple of weeks to Mauritius For myself and my husband,from the middle of February. I had read a lot on trip advisor and decided it was the place for us. My only issue is  my concern about the possible cyclones. It was only after I made the booking,I did further research to find it is the rainy season with possible cyclones.There seems to be so many people who go to Mauritius around this time of year so I find it all a bit confusing. I know we can never predict the weather so far in advance,but can anyone reassure me if my concerns are valid or not as we could change our dates. Having said that,we are in so much need of a well earned break we would rather keep our February holiday booked as it is.

Can someone be kind enough to reply soon.

Thanks in advance!
  Jana123:)

Have now decided to change booking to April although I would still welcome some comments on both months

Jana, February is hot humid and statistically has lots of rain and is also the peak month for tropcial storms/cyclones.
February 2012 we saw cyclone Giovanna and the other day Cyclone
Dumile.
So yes, for a holiday its much better to come in April. Less risk of rain and storms and its more comfortable humidity wise. Most tropical depressions which go on to form storms stay well out in the Ocean, but why risk it if you dont have to?
I think the Mauritius Met Office forecast 10 or so storms for this summer.
Enjoy Mauritius!
Daisymay :)

Thanks Daisymay,that's very helpful. We are looking forward to April.

Jana.

December to April its cyclonic period. But cyclones are a bit rare. It depends on luck, for example, last year there was no cyclone!

As from April/May to September its winter season, but the winter here is a tropical one. In the coastal region the temperature goes between 20 to 27 degrees. sun the whole year......

kevinson wrote:

December to April its cyclonic period. But cyclones are a bit rare. It depends on luck, for example, last year there was no cyclone!

As from April/May to September its winter season, but the winter here is a tropical one. In the coastal region the temperature goes between 20 to 27 degrees. sun the whole year......

Thanks!..... My friends complain about how cold it is in the winter in Perth Australia during 23 degrees! Lol...

Kevinson - last year (2012) there was cyclone Giovanna which went on to devastate Madagascar?

daisymay2 wrote:

Kevinson - last year (2012) there was cyclone Giovanna which went on to devastate Madagascar?

Purely out of interest, in the unlikely event of  a cyclone at the end of April, are tourists given notice and advice from their hotels in how to avoid problems? Still not stopping me from going though. I'm sure all the expats wouldn't hang around if they were concerned! :)

Jana don't worry you wont get a cyclone in April.
However, the hotels look after you very well, have contingency plans for cyclones and know exactly what to do. They have backup generators so no powercuts.
(I used to joke in the event of a cyclone I would book myself into the Merville Hotel up the road from me!)
You know well in advance if theres a cyclone.
The Met Office issues warnings and advise well in advance on what to do for residents and everyone should have a cyclone kit ready.
I know I do.
I used to drive my DH mad about cyclone preparations!
Cheers

daisymay2 wrote:

Agree totally :)
Kevinson were you by any chance out of the Country on holiday during this cyclone ;)

Rosiewestie wrote:
daisymay2 wrote:

Agree totally :)
Kevinson were you by any chance out of the Country on holiday during this cyclone ;)

Thanks Rosie! I thought I wasnt wrong!

Jana123 wrote:
daisymay2 wrote:

Purely out of interest, in the unlikely event of  a cyclone at the end of April, are tourists given notice and advice from their hotels in how to avoid problems? Still not stopping me from going though. I'm sure all the expats wouldn't hang around if they were concerned! :)

Don't worry about cyclones in April - just come to Paradise Island and have a lovely relaxing break, hire a car and explore the Island, its easy to navigate and the local people are very friendly especially if you are like me and always get lost ;)

I checked the world map after booking. I can't believe how far it is. My sense of direction was never that good. Having now had the time to do a little more research ,we are really looking forward to the experience. I love the thought of a tropical environment and not concerned about cyclones, although it must be devastating for people who have been badly affected. The powers of nature!

I think I've been doing too much reading with regard to tourist safety and what they should and shouldnt do in Mauritius and it all seems a little disconcerting.We will be staying in Grand Baie and my next question is about evening strolls outwith the hotel complex at night for meals etc in the town centre. We have not booked all inclusive. I understand all tourists everywhere,including visitors to major UK cities,all have to be vigilant,although locals feel safer simply due to feeling at home. Can anyone advise?

Jana can I recommend you start a new thread on safety as you wont get many replies under the heading February weather on this?
Also perhaps you could post on a travel site like Tripadvisor?
This is an expats forum, though of course we are happy to answer your questions, but a travel site would be more specific to your needs perhaps?
Regards

daisymay2 wrote:

Jana can I recommend you start a new thread on safety as you wont get many replies under the heading February weather on this?
Also perhaps you could post on a travel site like Tripadvisor?
This is an expats forum, though of course we are happy to answer your questions, but a travel site would be more specific to your needs perhaps?
Regards

Yes I agree Daisymae and this was to be my final posts on this forum. I felt people who actually live on the island would be the best people to ask regarding my personal concerns regarding weather and safety. I also realise the latter may not be a comfortable topic to discuss . I just like to be prepared for all events and possibilities everywhere I go.

Jana just use common sense as you do in any country in the world.
Don't flash expensive jewellery or walk around with cameras, and always be aware of other people.
Grand Baie has lots of CCTV cameras and a high police presence and like anywhere most crime is opportunistic. Tourists are targeted but locals are more likely to be victims of crime.
You should have no problems walking around in the day or the evening.
Don't worry.
Enjoy Mauritius

Jana, You must hire a car, to take a look around the Island, does not matter if you drive slow as people just overtake you no one beeps at you for being too slow.

But they often beep at you to let you know they are overtaking you.

As I often get lost (I was the same in the UK even with a TomTom) I have never once felt unsafe or threatened, but then Its usually in the daytime.

Here on the roads, you just have to be more aware than in the UK, for dogs, goats, people and cars stopping to chat (not the goats and dogs!)

:)