Am I entitled to a Maltese I.D card and how do I go about getting one?

I was born in London, my Mother is Maltese, my father was also born in London but his parents are both Maltese. My parents are now divorced and my mother and step-father moved to Malta 2 years ago. I consider my home address as their address in Malta as my accommodation in Scotland is only temporary Uni accommodation. I am in my final year at University, and in July I am going to move here permanently. I am also in Malta every holiday I get, ranging from 2 and a half months in summer to a week or so in my mid-semester breaks.

So I have a few questions:

1) Am I entitled to a Maltese passport? I have had a look and apparently I have to have an I.D card before I can apply.

2) Am I entitled to an I.D card?

3)Am I/will I be entitled to vote once I live here? Again from what I've read and heard Alien I.D card holders cannot vote in Malta.

4) When should I apply for residency?

I realise I've asked multiple questions in one go and it might be a bit confusing so I appologise. Should I delete the question and do separate ones? I just need someone to spell it out to me because I've been looking into this for months and am no further forward. And I don't know what to apply for first and when.

Sorry about my approach to this, I am completely new to the blogging world! :)

Contact the Malta High Commission.
See here for their services.

http://www.foreign.gov.mt/default.aspx?MDIS=407

Thank you redmik, this has been extremely helpful.
Just had a quick browse and from what I can gather my first steps should be to apply for Maltese citizenship. :)

If you are an EU citizen you can move and live there anyway.
You may be able to do all that when you are visiting?

you dont need citizenship - just e-residency and you can apply for that after the 15th January 2013.

Hi Toon, I think that Jessamy wants to connect with her Maltese 'roots' and wants to become nationalised.
However, as you say, there are some other ways of living there if that is just what she wants to do.
Is the 15th January significant?

aha, i see, Red.....yes in that case citizenship would be possible. the 15th january is when the first applications can be made for the new e-residency permits.

OK I may be missing something here but is e-residency open for the likes of me and Lynn?
I can't recall this, sorry.

redmik wrote:

OK I may be missing something here but is e-residency open for the likes of me and Lynn?
I can't recall this, sorry.

it is the new combined id card and residency document and will be the only document you will need..subject to the same conditions and application requirements as the old ordinary residency certificate

Hi Jessamy,

I would suggest you prepare the necessary documents required for the registration of citizenship:

http://www.foreign.gov.mt/Library/Cit/CEA2-REG.pdf

and also have everything you need to apply for e-residency as a UK (EU)citizen.

When you are in Malta just go to the Department in Valletta with both sets of papers and see what they suggest.

Apply first for e-residency as UK citizen and then or at the same time apply for Maltese citizenship or

apply for Maltese citizenship first and then apply for the ID card as a Maltese citizen.

You can hold a UK passport and a Maltese passport (citizenship) at the same time and you could also vote in both countries.

Cheers
Ricky

OK and sorry again but can someone give me a link for e-residency please?
I don't remember seeing about this and if I did, then I've forgotten. (Old age and all that)

http://www.foreign.gov.mt/default.aspx?MDIS=552

here ye go Red

Thanks pal.

redmik wrote:

Thanks pal.

no problem at all.....

So, it's not really an e-registration, just that one can get the forms on-line but have to take them in personally. (Cannot send them electronically)

i think you have to go - everyone no exceptions.

toonarmy9752 wrote:

i think you have to go - everyone no exceptions.

That's the way I have interpreted it, so it's not an e-system as I would define it. Thanks.

i suspect the e means european in terms of the non maltese EU nationals

this was suggested as an alternative to having a A (alien) on the card

or maybe (e)migrant

toonarmy9752 wrote:

i suspect the e means european in terms of the non maltese EU nationals this was suggested as an alternative to having a A (alien) on the card or maybe (e)migrant

Well there you go, I made a typical (mis)assumption based upon my culture and experience. I immediately thought that one could register electronically rather than attend in person (too much to hope for). Lesson learned. :rolleyes:

redmik wrote:
toonarmy9752 wrote:

i suspect the e means european in terms of the non maltese EU nationals this was suggested as an alternative to having a A (alien) on the card or maybe (e)migrant

Well there you go, I made a typical (mis)assumption based upon my culture and experience. I immediately thought that one could register electronically rather than attend in person (too much to hope for). Lesson learned. :rolleyes:

THIS IS MALTA AND WELCOME

3 weeks and counting :D

it will soon pass mate - it goes really quickly when your here too....nearly 5 years for us and its gone like the wind

Thank you redmik, ricky and toonarmy for all this information. I've found it so difficult to interpret all the information I've found on the internet so all these nudges in the right direction are fantastic! Also I've heard Maltese bureaucracy can be a little complicated if you don't know what you're doing!

redmik wrote:
toonarmy9752 wrote:

It looks as though you were 'sort-of' right Redmik, looking at Form ID 1A that is required to be filled in, it is called an Electronic Identity Registration and doesn't refer to European!
Except you still can' t use the form electronically :rolleyes:

1) As the child of Maltese citizens, you should have no trouble getting Maltese citizenship - I know this from experience (born and live in Australia with one Maltese parent). Once a citizen, you can get a passport - again, I know this from experience, having held a Maltese passport all my life.
2) From what I understand, you can only get an ID card once you are actually residing in Malta. I don't have one for this reason.
3) Once you've satisfied the residency requirements to get an ID card, you should be able to vote. As a citizen, you wouldn't be able to get an Alien ID card anyway (as they are for non-citizens).
4) Once you are actually residing in Malta.

This is all from my understanding of everything, coming from a similar position to you. Hope it helps :-)

There is no harm in getting citizenship, and may be a good insurance policy should some of Britain's politicians get their way and leave the EU.

I'll clarify - when I refer to ID cards, I mean the national identity card for Maltese citizens (the one you can use to travel to other EU nations with instead of a passport)

@Jessamy

Good evening. 

I am lookimg to make a maltese passport too! I have my maltese citizenship . I dont live in Malta i live in the UK.  I am asking you if you have to have an ID card before obtaining the maltese passport please?.

I thought you can only have a ID card if you are a maltese resident ?.

Many thanks

Sharon

@Jessamy

Did you succeed?

@Sharontrigg1

my understanding is that you have to provide a Maltese address to obtain an ID Card. You would not neccesarily  have to have a maltese passport but you would have to prove your citizenship status. from Memory, you would need to complete form. ID10. Do you have family in Malta that you can use as an address?

@Jessamy
Good evening. 
I am lookimg to make a maltese passport too! I have my maltese citizenship . I dont live in Malta i live in the UK.  I am asking you if you have to have an ID card before obtaining the maltese passport please?.
I thought you can only have a ID card if you are a maltese resident ?.
Many thanks
Sharon

-@Sharontrigg1

This is a question you can ask the Maltese embassy in London. If you have ancestors from Malta you can apply for a Maltese passport. A Maltese residence card you will get when you have a registered residence in Malta.

@Sharontrigg1

Hi Sharon.

When you gain Maltese citizenship via whatever method, your birth is registered with the Maltese Public Registry and you are issued with a Maltese birth certificate. You will be allocated a number on your Maltese birth certificate that is also your ID card number.

You will need an address in Malta to be issued with a physical ID card, however you already have been assigned with your individual ID card number.

Maltese passports will list both a passport number and your ID card number. The passport number will change when you renew your passport but the ID card number will remain the same and is unique to you.

If you wish to order a copy of your Maltese birth certificate, this can be done online.

https://certifikati.identita.gov.mt/en/ … ate/Create