Desperately need answers to my questions! Never moved this far before!

Hello everyone! :lol::heart:

I'm Hayley, I'm 23 years old and I'm saving up to move to Germany in 6 months! The man I'm engaged to lives there, and I aim to move in with him as soon as I graduate from university.

I hope to make some friends here, I could really use some. I have 5 very important issues that I need help with, I'll list them for easy-reading...

1. My cats, Reno and Nina. I fully intend to take them with me. What is required to let them into Germany? I'm getting them vaccinated against rabies soon, just waiting on my student loan. They're both neutered as well.

2. Moving the cats. What's the least stressful way to move them? I mean least stressful for them - Nina is ill and she's quite fragile.

3. Finding a pet friendly flat - anyone recommend any sites that are in English?

4. Moving my stuff. I don't own a lot of belongings - mostly clothes, books, video games, DVDs and a shameful number of shoes. I was told that hiring a van would be cheaper than doing this by plane - but I can't drive! Is there anyone that I can hire, any companies or anything that can do this?

5. Finding a job. I'm in the process of learning German via Rosette Stone, but I always learn it faster when living in the country. How can I find a simple job to keep income coming? I don't mind cleaning, retail, anything until I get a better grasp of the local language.

This is all I can think up right now. It's a lot to ask, I understand, and I apologise for the wall of text! Thank you for reading all the same, I hope I can learn from some of you!

I have been to other forums but I mostly get ignored. Please, please, does anyone have any advice for me? Thank you for reading! :heart:

Hi ,
Pets are normally allowed in Germany without much issues provided you have valid documents and vaccination. I personally have not moved but have heard from one of my friend that some things like the below were done :
  --> within EU , mobility of pets needs EU Passport with valid identification number . You might like to talk to your governing body on the same .
-->  ur flight journey is less than 5-6 hours so i have seen that most of the flight carriers allow one pet along with the passenger and one of the other can be handled with a container or if any one is travelling with u ..two of u can carry two pets along with u. But better to call the airline
  --> Its better you vaccinate them some 1 month before u start so u have reduced problem to get the pet.

Hope this helps

Hi,
Where are you moving from? I am South African living in Germany. Cats should not be a problem, as long as they are vaccinated and don't carry any deseases. Germany will take a while getting use to, it took me a few years and you really have to make an active effort to get out there and meet people. Work should not be too difficult, if you start with odd jobs but speaking German is a must.
Take care.
Crystal

Hi Hayley,

I recently moved to Germany with a dog, a small one, and also with health issues so I was really concerned to have her flying. The EU passport thing is one you should definitely provide for both pets. Just go to the vet and let them know you are planning to have the cats out of the country and they will do whatever they need to in terms of vaccination and identification. We were also offered some pills to have the dog more relaxed during the flights.
As for having both pets in one plane... Our travel agent explained that the airlines allow one pet per flight. So I don't know how will that work but you should certainly double check what they can offer to solve the issue. Low cost airlines (she said) do not allow animals. You pay additional 10 EUR/kg for the pet and per flight.
Are you interested in furnished or unfurnished accommodation?

Hope that helps.

Hayley,

I also brought my 2 cats from home - Slovakia 8 hours drive.
I got them vaccinated, the also had to get a chip under their skin and I also had to get them a passport. As it was first time our cats was in their boxes this long, I asked for a drugs at the pharmacy, which calmed them down.
About the apartment, we were searching for the apartment normal way, just always remind to the owners we have two cats.
Job - Im also trying to find a job here, the best job would be where I can use english mostly and german just occasionally as Im not 100% sure about speaking german yet.
There are some webs where you can check for a job.
where are you from btw?

@BarboraB : You are AWESOME :cool:

Hi Hayley!
I'll try to answer some of your questions here.

For your  cats, please see the official website of the German Customs (I've linked the topic for your convenience, plus its English version).
For the transport, maybe you should get them used to transport boxes and contact the airline of your choice for detailed information.

Finding a pet friendly flat - I don't have a website for you, but usually cats are unproblematic or don't play a role when you search for a flat. Usually, landlords mind (big) dogs, but cats are fine.

Moving your stuff - actually the cheapest way would be to rent a car yourself; there are special offers especially on weekends.
There are also companies you could hire for moving; however, they are expensive and they are rather of use when you want to move your whole household, including furniture, kitchen, etc.
However, I suggest you the following:
Make use of public bill-boards/notice boards. You can paste your request there, or even find an offer there. Many people have a big car and want to earn some extra money...
They are usually found in big supermarkets, university canteens, sometimes even metro stations. Ask local people for help.
Alternatively, you can also post your offer (or check for offers) in a local newspaper. They usually have one weekly issue which is for free.

Finding a job - well thats not easy to answer, since it depends on your qualification. It seems you are rather searching for jobbing than for a job, right ? Basically, if you are going to move to a big city, it will be not that difficult...