Ageism

Greetings, new to posting on the forum, but have been reading extensively here and elsewhere looking for info on age as a hiring factor, particularly advanced age, such as mine.  I'm 58 (the new middle age, I know, just presuming my age relative to most doing this) and in excellent health, but would appreciate any candid responses regarding my employment prospects.  Taught twenty years (ten music, ten kindergarten) in Oregon, and am looking to teach English in Costa Rica.  Would definitely consider taking the Idiomas Mundiales course on site, if I was confident I could get employment upon graduation.  Any thoughts?  Thanks.

Hello otterwannabe,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

I wish you good luck and a Happy New Year 2013!

Christine

otterwannabe,
   Only citizens are allowed to work in Costa Rica and you must go through at least 3 years as a resident to get your permanent residency. You do hear of some companies hiring english instructors, the pay is low ($8.00 An hour) and very few hours. Most of those positions are for internet video teaching. These openings are very few and hard to get. You are allowed to own your own company and start your own English school.  The thing I want to stress is make sure of the who, what and where is  required for the position..Most of us who live here do not work as it is just easier..It's all about who you know here....