Question about getting a full time contract - long! (I'm sorry..)

Hi Everyone,

It's been a long time since I posted on this forum which I apologise for. I promised myself I would try to stay active on here after arriving in Vietnam to help people thinking about coming to Vietnam after so many kind people did to me when I was in that position.

On the 6th of January will be my one year anniversary in the country. And to be completely honest, it's been the most amazing year of my life.

I would never of dreamt a year ago I would of experienced and acheived what I have so far and I have a lot of people to thank.

I came here with a TESOL with 2 years teaching experience but no BA. With persistance, timing and a bit of luck I managed to get my opportunity at a well known school on a 20 hour a week part time contract.

8 months ago I was also lucky enough to meet a beautiful Vietnamese girl who I am truly in love with.

Now my thoughts about my future have completely changed. I see myself here with her the forseeable future.

My question to those with the knowledge and experience is about me. I am more than happy to continue teaching for the forseeable future but I always have the necessity for development and progression.
My problem is I can't even consider development within my school as I don't have and can't get a full time contract without a BA. (For those who don't know you need a BA to be able to apply for a work permit and residency card needed for a full time contract)

Now I am considering taking an online based degree but I have no idea in what. (The whole reason why I decided not to go to University straight away in the first place).

To cut a long story short (I apologise) I wanted to know if/when I marry my girlfriend at some point in the future would that enable me to work on a full time contract? I understand that Vietnamese residents do not need a degree to work on a full time contract so would that apply to myself as well?

Now I don't even know if my future is in teaching, it may be in business I have no idea. I would just like to know my options before I commit to anything.

Any advice or personal experience on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Michael

Hey, I'm glad you're liking over there so much. It gives me hope. I am moving there myself in 3 months.

Anyway, regarding your question, I don't know much so anyone can correct me if I'm wrong. I'm guessing you are talking about obtaining a work permit for full time employment. Through research, I think that the Uni degree is not necessary with all jobs. So, it might depends on the job you're want to get. Also, not much would change after you married a VN local except your visa status. To the VN goverment, you are still a foreigner.

As far as opening a business, my advice would be to open under your soon-to-be wife to avoid any of the hassle.

As far as I know, it's hard enough trying to accomplish things over in VN when you know exactly what you want to do. Trying to figure out how to do things when you're not sure is quite silly. My personal advice: find out what you want to do, then find out how to do it.

Bonesy wrote:

To cut a long story short

too late... :D

Bonesy wrote:

I wanted to know if/when I marry my girlfriend at some point in the future would that enable me to work on a full time contract?

Short answer... No, your employment status is still the same. You still need a degree or 5 years experience (with references) to get a WP.
That said, once your married your visa status will change so a lot less hassle for visa.

TBH if that's the case I wouldn't worry about the full time contract, your getting the hours anyways and that's what counts.

laidbackfreak wrote:

TBH if that's the case I wouldn't worry about the full time contract, your getting the hours anyways and that's what counts.

But is there not the risk that in the future rules  may change regarding part time contracts as well? I just want to make sure I have stability here and I'm not caught with my pants down.
Maybe I am worrying too much.. if I can get 5 years experience then before anything changes then hopefully my problem will be solved.

AQM22 wrote:

Hey, I'm glad you're liking over there so much. It gives me hope. I am moving there myself in 3 months.

Anyway, regarding your question, I don't know much so anyone can correct me if I'm wrong. I'm guessing you are talking about obtaining a work permit for full time employment. Through research, I think that the Uni degree is not necessary with all jobs. So, it might depends on the job you're want to get. Also, not much would change after you married a VN local except your visa status. To the VN goverment, you are still a foreigner.

As far as opening a business, my advice would be to open under your soon-to-be wife to avoid any of the hassle.

As far as I know, it's hard enough trying to accomplish things over in VN when you know exactly what you want to do. Trying to figure out how to do things when you're not sure is quite silly. My personal advice: find out what you want to do, then find out how to do it.

Thanks for your input! I appreciate it

Bonesy wrote:

Maybe I am worrying too much..

The rules can change at anytime, so even if you did have all the correct paperwork, that's not to say they couldn't overturn it. Unlikely but possible.
Given the current shortage of English teachers I wouldn't worry too much about what if's.

Bonesy wrote:
laidbackfreak wrote:

But is there not the risk that in the future rules  may change regarding part time contracts as well? I just want to make sure I have stability here and I'm not caught with my pants down.
Maybe I am worrying too much.. if I can get 5 years experience then before anything changes then hopefully my problem will be solved.

Yes, the rules can change - ANY TIME, even for those, who have a degree and/or work experience. You are still a foreigner until you have a Vietnamese passport.