Weather

Hi all, I'm new to Expat.com, my name's Caroline and I'm coming to Kigali for three months in mid February.

It seems this is not very clever time to go because I will be there for the whole duration of rainy season; March to May.

Has anyone been in Kigali during rainy season and do you know how heavy or constant the rain will be?

I haven't booked my flights so if the rainfall is really bad I could book a couple of months later and be there from April to June instead. Do you know if this might be worth it?

Thanks!

Greetings,
My name is Joanna. I'm from the US and relocating to Rwanda. I have been in both of the rainy seasons and it was quite an adjustment since I am from the desert in Southern Calif.
Here's what I've learned. It rains almost daily, mostly in the afternoons and especially when it's hot in the morning. This makes it a challenge to dress accordingly. If you dress for the heat of the morning, it gets chilly and sometimes even down right cold when the rain comes. You must always take an umbrella because it doesn't just sprinkle. It pours torrentially, dumping a lot of water in a short time. The rain lasts anywhere from 30 minutes to several hours and results in delayed appointments because the buses sometimes sit until it lightens up. It can get very windy as well. The perfect wrap is a fine gauge knit wool sweater. Wool keeps you warm even if it's wet and if a fine knit can be folded up in your back pack. If you live on a dirt road, the mud can be horrible. Some roads are well packed and smooth but most are full of dips and potholes. The mud is slipper similar to ice and cars even get stuck.
In my opinion, your best bet on when to be there is at the beginning or ending of the dry season. That way you'll at least get the minimal rain (every few days) and some good weather in between.
I hope this is helpful. You are welcome to contact me on my private email: [email protected]
I am writing a book called Insider's Guide to Kigali for Newcomers and am happy to share what I've put together so far. I love Rwanda and enjoy helping others to have a 'soft landing' and adjust as easily as possible.
Warm Regards
Joanna