"Trade of Profession"

A happy new year to all !

I'm just going through the ETC form to register as self-employer but I stuck at the field "Trade of Profession" (page 3).

Is there an official list showing all "Trades of Profession" ?
Do specific "Trades of Profession" have different annual fees ?

Thanks !

Markus

Should't that read as " trade or profession" and you must know what you want to register as? ie plumber or gynaecologist:D

yes, that would be more clear ...
anyhow, I think I will do it the usual way: I take all of my documents and a pen and will personally visit one institution after the other (etc, social security, inland revenue, VAT office) so I can ask and correctly fill out the forms.

But this will happen next week then, this week everything is on "shut down" ;)

Markus

So, today I registered as Self-Emproyer in Malta and the whole procedure takes approx. 2,5hrs :) (in Austria it takes 2 or 3 weeks minimum ...)

Even I very much hate the bureaucratic marathons and the application/registration-form-filling-out-nightmares for everything, I - again - very much enjoyed to talk with the public servants working for the authorities :)

Guide for Expatriates to register first time as Self-Employer (without employees) in Malta:

1.) If not already available, first you have to go to Social Security (either to the nearest district office or to head office in Melita Street/Valletta) and apply for a Social Security Number. You need to have ID card and get the number immediately.

2.) Then you have to go to Inland Revenue Department (Block 1, Room 1 - Expatriate, V.Dimech Street, Floriana) to register as Taxpayer. You need to have ID card and Social Security No and get the Taxpayer Certificate and Taxnumber immediately.

3.) The next step is to go to VAT-Office (16, Centre Point Building, Triq Mannarino, Birkirkara) and register there. You need to have ID card only and should know wheather to register part-time or full-time self-employer, description of business activity and the estimated annual turnover (if below 14,000.- you can apply for VAT examption). It takes about 5 workdays to receive the VAT certificate and VAT resp. UID number via mail.

4.) At last you need to go to any ETC Job Center and fill out the Engagement form for self-employed. You need to have ID card, Social Security No and VAT No and you should know if part/full-time self employer and business activity.

That's it ... you can start working in your business and issue invoices with your UID number :D

And at the end of the year you talk to your tax advisor for the income tax declaration :rolleyes:

Markus

mattm911   Thank you - this step by step information is very useful.
I posted a topic recently refer: Craft markets - Selling, on 6/01 which no-one seems to know the answer to. During your process of registering for self employment, did you come across anybody/anything that I could link or speak to regarding setting up a stall in one of these markets as a self employed person?
Hope you can help :)

hi rooikat,
unfortunately I do not know which authority is responsible for registering market stalls, but I suppose it's more a "local" or "private" issue (see the application form for the artisan christmas market).

I would suggest you do it the "maltese way": go to the market you want to sell something and ... simply ask the exhibitors there how to register.

Markus

Thank you matm911 :cool:

Fiscal Receipt Books can be ordered online and are available to pick them up within 5 working days.
Note: since 16th of January 2013 there is a new procedure

Hey Matm911, this a very clear procedure you've detailed here.
Just one question, you say that first you need social security number, for which you need an ID card.

Does this have to be a Maltese ID card, or can it be a EU Passport?
As i understand, getting the Maltese e-ID card for foreigners can take a loooooong while ...

Am moving to the island, would like to continue my current job as a freelancer, and i suppose it would make sense to register in Malta then. (Belgium has more or less the highest taxation rates in the world ... :) )

Hi nilonilonilo

Your passport & maltese address are sufficient to get a Social security number

Cheers
Tinna

Do you maybe know by any chance is it possible with non-eu passport too? Later I would apply for Maltese ID like self-employed

pealeksandar wrote:

Do you maybe know by any chance is it possible with non-eu passport too? Later I would apply for Maltese ID like self-employed

It's a residence card you apply for not Maltese ID.

Yes, you are right. Do you know is it possible like that?

Sorry, yes you are right, applying for resident permit. Do you maybe know is it possible like that if I am from non-eu country? To get VAT number and resident permit on count of VAT number, even like full-time self-employment is not a problem for me. Only what I am wondering do somebody know is it possible?
Thanks