$1500 a month in Sihanoukville Cambodia

Hi All

Would $1500 a month be enough to live in Cambodia?? I'm thinking Snooky because of the beach. Maybe even PP. I'm not a big drinker and I don't need to party all the time….. I couldn't even if I wanted to. I'm not that young anymore. Say a 1 bed room apartment not too far from the beach and away from all the noise. A couple nights out a week. I have no intention of buying a car… maybe a scooter or a push bike……I'd even be happy to rent. I just want to chill out for about 6 months or so. If $1500 is not enough, then how much would suffice??

Thanks

Gday mate, my name is Dave and I live and run a small business in Sihanoukville.
You can live like a King here for $1500 a month.I have an apartment similar to what you have described an easy 15 minute walk to Ochheuteal beach. It has basic furnishings,free wifi and cable T.V, hot water and fan and costs me $110 a month rent and around $12 extra for elec and water. Depending on just how fussy you are with your food, you can eat well for around $3 for breakfast and lunch and $5 for dinner.Obviously you can spend a lot more than that too if you want fine dining,good wine etc.50c beers are readily available and unless you are in a top notch restaurant or one of the girl bars you won't be paying more than $1 anywhere.You can pick up a decent moto for around $500 and be fairly sure that when you leave you will get most of that back if you keep it in good condition.
I live on around $500 a month and live well. Ok, I am at work 10 hrs a day and I have a girlfriend so don't frequent the girlie bars, but as I said, for $1500 you can live very,very well.
I hope this helps you mate.

Well Gypsy Boy,seems $1500 per month would be heaps. Tine to give it a go my boy. Catch up with you soon Bik Dok

CanerK wrote:

Hi All

Would $1500 a month be enough to live in Cambodia?? I'm thinking Snooky because of the beach. Maybe even PP. I'm not a big drinker and I don't need to party all the time….. I couldn't even if I wanted to. I'm not that young anymore. Say a 1 bed room apartment not too far from the beach and away from all the noise. A couple nights out a week. I have no intention of buying a car… maybe a scooter or a push bike……I'd even be happy to rent. I just want to chill out for about 6 months or so. If $1500 is not enough, then how much would suffice??

Thanks

$1500  is plenty for the month in Sihanoukville or anywhere in Cambodia. You can find he food is very cheap especially if you go to the market .Have fun

hec357 wrote:

$1500  is plenty for the month in Sihanoukville or anywhere in Cambodia. You can find he food is very cheap especially if you go to the market .Have fun

Thanks Hec.... I'll do my best to have some fun;)

Hi Dave,

What are the employment oportunities like and what sort of visas do you need to stay and work.

I had a pal who moved to cambodia a few years back, can't track him down anymore.

Best of luck

Ian

Hey
What is the best touristic place to live for a couple of weeks in Cambodia?
Cheers

Gday TVC. Employment opportunities are extremely limited over here.Teaching English is really the main opportunity for expats.Self employment,ie. running a small business,is what keeps most of us going.
There is already a thread on this forum discussing Visa's that I suggest you read, but basically you fly into the airport,ask for the "ordinary" Visa,pay $25usd and hand over 2 passport photo's.This gives you a 1 month visa.Then before this expires you take it to a travel agent and tell them you want a 3,6 or 12 month multiple entry visa, pay the asking price( at the moment around $280 for the 12 month option) and 3 or 4 days later you have your visa.
Hope this helps you mate

Hi dave the information you gave is great just one question can I get the visa extended in Sihanoukville  or do I have to go the phnom penn. I am a 55 year old Irishman who will be moving to Sihanoukville this year and would love to hook up with you. My email is  [email protected]

Any travel agent in the country can do it mate. If you are in Sihanoukville I know a good one.Just make sure you get the "ordinary" visa or you will have to do a border run to get another one.

Sorry... my English is not very good. .. but he would rather ask for a "business" visa instead of saying "ordinary".
I am afraid those khmer agents could give him a tourism visa which is for me the ordinary one :D

Thanks everyone

Can you get cricket on the television?
Just wondering.  Thanks for the useful post.
Ron from Canada

Never saw some.
Got 100 chanels buti am only looking at 5 or 6 of them. So not really sure about it.

I love the name snooky...is that your nickname for Sihanoukville or everyone uses?
Moving there Sept 2016

@ adgebarker > Just to inform you that you have posted on quite an old thread (2013)

Thanks

Priscilla

everyone uses it... It sounds cool and it's much easier to pronounce than the longer version.

You'll have a great time in Snooky