Is shopping in Riyadh more expensive than in USA?

I might go to Riyadh this summer and I really want to shop there! I have seen the mamlaka mall(sorry if I have written it wrong)and I really like it. I just want to know how much money should I bring. I will be living with my aunt for month or so who knows. They told me not to bring any money at all but I can't go 2 months without shoping and I just wanted to now how many US money / saudi riyals should I bring? I am 16 year of age girl. Thank you. PS. I will be shopping for clothes, shoes, bags, jewelries but not gold or silver.

Electronics in some cases are more expensive here but for clothes n stuff I think it's pretty much the same.

I've got to disagree.  I think clothing (and electronics, of course), shoes, etc. are much more expensive here than in the US.  And here, good sales are pretty much non-existent (good sales by American standards lol).

I've had to buy things I need, for example a blouse--nothing special, something to wear with jeans--that would cost no more than $25/$30 in the US but here, at Debenhams or whatever, goes for $60/$70 (even much more at the smaller mall boutiques).

Alliecat wrote:

I've got to disagree.  I think clothing (and electronics, of course), shoes, etc. are much more expensive here than in the US.  And here, good sales are pretty much non-existent (good sales by American standards lol).

I've had to buy things I need, for example a blouse--nothing special, something to wear with jeans--that would cost no more than $25/$30 in the US but here, at Debenhams or whatever, goes for $60/$70 (even much more at the smaller mall boutiques).

Oops, my bad.

And kids, that is why you don't take shopping advice from guys :rolleyes:

Alli

You are right cloths here are about the same as in Europe / UK in fact in Debenhams you can see the £ and € prices on the label as a direct comparison maybe slightly cheaper but not by any significant amount.  Cloths in the US are much cheaper than those in Europe, not only do we pay more for gas than you and more tax and and and ...  angelcute would only find the advantage of different styles but with the disadvantage of having to pay lots for it.

CHM wrote:
Alliecat wrote:

Oops, my bad.

Also, she asked about prices compared to the US and since I'm American and load up with stuff on my holidays, I know all about prices lol

Alliecat wrote:
CHM wrote:
Alliecat wrote:

Oops, my bad.

Also, she asked about prices compared to the US and since I'm American and load up with stuff on my holidays, I know all about prices lol

All right no need to rub it in! :joking:

Martin Fin wrote:
Alliecat wrote:
CHM wrote:

Oops, my bad.

I wasn't rubbing it in!! I was letting him off the hook regarding prices in the States since it's not where he's from !!!! :P

Martin Fin wrote:
Alliecat wrote:
CHM wrote:

Oops, my bad.

Yeah, what he said :(

How do know I'm not from the US :unsure *cough*stalker*cough*

CHM wrote:

EXCUSE me.. but why does a person write a profile?  To inform other people about him/her self.  And why does a person READ a profile?  Because the person writing hasn't bothered to introduce him/herself!!  :mad:

Stalking would be tracing your IP to find out your name/address and then going to your place, in the dark of night, trying to peep into your windows.  I haven't done that (yet lol)!! :D

CHM wrote:
Martin Fin wrote:
Alliecat wrote:

Yeah, what he said :(

Still hurts Alli every time I go home and pay stupid money for stuff I know is cheaper elsewhere!

Well if you really like some good stuff at cheap rates then you should come to Pakistan. You will be amazed to see the prices of all items whether electronic or clothing.
All prices are exclusive of bullet proof vest though :D

Angel,

feel free to PM Aliecat,she's been here for a while and she knows KSA inside out better than anyone else.

Aliecat,

I think Angel is going after exact figures to know how much cash she'll be bringing with her.

T

anaexpat wrote:

she knows KSA inside out better than anyone else.

Good GOD!  You so over-estimate me lol  It seems like the regulars here on the forum all have certain area of expertise.  The person whose knowledge is invaluable, IMO, is TLL!

Alliecat wrote:
CHM wrote:

Stalking would be tracing your IP to find out your name/address and then going to your place, in the dark of night, trying to peep into your windows.  I haven't done that (yet lol)!! :D

Wow! And with abaya and darkness as your ally, you can go all Bane on anyones backside

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jgSrn7UANI

CHM wrote:
Alliecat wrote:
CHM wrote:

Wow! And with abaya and darkness as your ally, you can go all Bane on anyones backside

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jgSrn7UANI

LOL

Alliecat wrote:

depends on if you buy name brands in the states

express has sales just like they do in the states
so does gap and h&m

maybe its time to step outta jcpenny :P

Freshlikesushi wrote:
Alliecat wrote:

depends on if you buy name brands in the states

express has sales just like they do in the states
so does gap and h&m

Exactly why I love H&M so... the prices don't vary much from country to country.  Or at least that's my experience between Japan, U.S., and here.

Thank you all

Freshlikesushi wrote:

Very funny :P  I like Bealle's a lot, also Kohls, sometimes Old Navy. When I talk about SALES, I'm talking about 50% off, like at Macy's.

If you notice, I'd mentioned Debenham's (or Marks & Spencers, for that matter) and they are very common here and also very pricey compared to the US.

yeah but if you look at the normal clothing stores (as mentioned above) they run the same sales as the US does.

i got some jeans from express for 40 bucks a month or two back

Freshlikesushi wrote:

yeah but if you look at the normal clothing stores (as mentioned above) they run the same sales as the US does.

i got some jeans from express for 40 bucks a month or two back

Hey, though--getting back to her original question.  Why would she come to Saudi Arabia to go shopping to get jeans from Express for $40 if she can do the same at home?  LOL

I'm inclined to think she may have been asking about higher end or mall boutiques?  Which ARE a lot more expensive.

Some of the souks and shops in Deera are cheaper but also remember you oftentimes get what you pay for.  I bought a blouse that I threw away after the first wash lol

why would you come to saudi arabia to go shopping?

Freshlikesushi wrote:

why would you come to saudi arabia to go shopping?

Well, she's coming to visit her aunt and has apparently heard that the only thing to do here is shop and eat :lol:

I am going to Saudi Arabia to visit my aunt and I will be staying there for  2 months and I dont want to stay home all the time thats why :p

angelcute wrote:

I am going to Saudi Arabia to visit my aunt and I will be staying there for  2 months and I dont want to stay home all the time thats why :p

angelcute you may have to get used to staying in a lot. You cannot as a girl behave the same as you would in the USA you cannot just go to a Mall and shop you will have to be accompanied at all times with your aunt and uncle. A lot of the time you will have to wait in until your uncle returns home from work or the weekends! You cannot just go to a mall with your friends as you would at home. There are religious police who enforce the rules and laws!

Martin Fin wrote:
angelcute wrote:

angelcute you may have to get used to staying in a lot. You cannot as a girl behave the same as you would in the USA you cannot just go to a Mall and shop you will have to be accompanied at all times with your aunt and uncle. A lot of the time you will have to wait in until your uncle returns home from work or the weekends! You cannot just go to a mall with your friends as you would at home. There are religious police who enforce the rules and laws!

Martin, why do you say this?  Of course she can go to the mall w/o her uncle or aunt!  I would advise her to carry a scarf in her bag 'just in case' and of course not speak to any males.  She should also use a trusted driver--I'm sure her aunt has one--and carry a mobile phone.

I've seen many girls/groups of girls at the mall!

il ove the rampant misinformation by people haha

even when IN saudi

Alliecat wrote:
Martin Fin wrote:
angelcute wrote:

Martin, why do you say this?  Of course she can go to the mall w/o her uncle or aunt!  I would advise her to carry a scarf in her bag 'just in case' and of course not speak to any males.  She should also use a trusted driver--I'm sure her aunt has one--and carry a mobile phone.

Allie I did say may! But as she is a 16 year old Bangladeshi Muslim girl in the care of her aunt and uncle! My suspicion is that she will not be allowed out on her own or would it be advisable to! She doesn't mention holding a US passport!

The guys I work with all Muslims but Indian, Pakistani, Jordanian and Palestinian to a man will not let there wives or children leave the house without them!

I guess time will tell as to who is right!

Martin Fin wrote:
Alliecat wrote:
Martin Fin wrote:

Allie I did say may! But as she is a 16 year old Bangladeshi Muslim girl in the care of her aunt and uncle! My suspicion is that she will not be allowed out on her own or would it be advisable to! She doesn't mention holding a US passport!

The guys I work with all Muslims but Indian, Pakistani, Jordanian and Palestinian to a man will not let there wives or children leave the house without them!

You may be right about individual families and their preferences but I'm talking about in general--I've seen lots of teenage girls in malls on their own.

You said "There are religious police who enforce the rules and laws!" but it's not a law!  It's going to come down to the rules her aunt and uncle set for her and you may be right--they may be strict :)

Alliecat wrote:
Martin Fin wrote:
Alliecat wrote:

You may be right about individual families and their preferences but I'm talking about in general--I've seen lots of teenage girls in malls on their own.

You said "There are religious police who enforce the rules and laws!" but it's not a law!  It's going to come down to the rules her aunt and uncle set for her and you may be right--they may be strict :)

Alli

You are correct writing these things on an iPhone is not the best way. 
It will be down to her Aunt and Uncle as to what freedom she has, however a weather eye needs to be kept out for the Mutawwa!

Martin Fin wrote:

however a weather eye needs to be kept out for the Mutawwa!

She'll just need to carry a scarf but as a Muslim, I'm sure she'll be wearing one anyway!