Flights from HCM Phu Quoc: Air Mekong vs. the others?

Hi all,

I'm looking at flying out to Phu Quoc from HCM for a day or so. I see 3 airlines serve the route:

- Vietnam Airlines, on ATR-72 prop planes;
- VietJet, on Airbus 320s;
- Air Mekong, on new CRJ-900 regional jets.

Do any of you have any experience with Air Mekong? I've flown Vietnam Air to Hanoi before, with no problems (but on a widebody) and I know they are generally up to standard. They have 3-5 flights a day to Phu Quoc.

My cousins have warned me away from VietJet, if only because of common delayed/canceled flight issues. Only 1 daily flight to Phu Quoc.

Air Mekong looks like a relatively new company so little info in terms of review of service. They are cheaper than Vietnam Air by 250.000-450.000d, so if there aren't delay issues I'd want to try them out! (Safety isn't so much the concern, the jets are only 3-4 years old and are from Skywest in the US). 1-3 flights a day (Phu Quoc is their home base).

Thanks!

I fly either VietNam Airlines or Air Mekong to Buon Ma Thuot whenever I don't drive.

VietNam Airlines is like doing business with any government body - and as with any national carrier they think you are lucky to be allowed aboard.

Air Mekong is like a breath of fresh air. The understand they are to service passengers. After a couple of flights (to the same destination) the crew even remembers your name.

VietJet is best known for having a bikini show on one of it's first flights and for being unreliable for keeping time - important if you are trying to make a departure from TSN overseas.

TripAdvisor has some reviews - basically similar experiences to mine.

If any carrier can't make a departure they have arrangements to use another carrier, so you will never get stuck!

(I answered both your posts in case a Mod deletes one)

Hi there,

as this is a double posted thread, I close this one ;)

Closed