Two years with my family in Vietnam - is it possible?

Hello everyone! I am new to your group and looking for some correct information regarding staying in Vietnam for the next 2 years with my family. Two adults and 2 small children under the age of 2.

We are planning to all get 3 month, single entry visas when we fly in but after that - where do we go and how do we go about getting temporary residence visas/cards. I am *thinking* of working there and/or starting a business there but am not sure if I can prove that - so....

What is our best and cheapest option to live in Vietnam for the next two years? We are all Caucasian, however, I speak Vietnamese as I used to travel there all the time - that was many years ago and all the info I knew regarding long term visas has completely changed!

I really REALLY appreciate any information you can give me. :-)
THANKS
NLIA

Hi NLIA,

Welcome to the forum.

The easiest and cheapest way is to obtain one of those Enlish teaching certificates, get a job with an English center, and come to Vietnam.  Everything will depend on you and your abilities.

Caucasian...  Starting a business in Vietnam?  Don't do it, especially in these current economic downfalls.  Regardless of how smart and capable you are, everything depends on others, most of whom are less than honorable.  You can read into the stuffs that I and a few others have put up on here about business and residency.  They are not as simple as many had made them out to be.

Weigh your options carefully.  If you need more help, feel free to drop me a line.

Cheers,
Howie

New Life In Asia wrote:

We are planning to all get 3 month, single entry visas when we fly in but after that - where do we go and how do we go about getting temporary residence visas/cards. I am *thinking* of working there and/or starting a business there but am not sure if I can prove that - so....

I would start by getting the longest multiple entry visas I could get from outside the country.  It may be expensive but it keeps your options open.  Only three months will go by in a flash.

3 months visa and extending each time, possible. Almost 2 years and going strong.

Wild_1 wrote:

Hi NLIA,

Welcome to the forum.

The easiest and cheapest way is to obtain one of those Enlish teaching certificates, get a job with an English center, and come to Vietnam.  Everything will depend on you and your abilities.

Caucasian...  Starting a business in Vietnam?  Don't do it, especially in these current economic downfalls.  Regardless of how smart and capable you are, everything depends on others, most of whom are less than honorable.  You can read into the stuffs that I and a few others have put up on here about business and residency.  They are not as simple as many had made them out to be.

Weigh your options carefully.  If you need more help, feel free to drop me a line.

Cheers,

Howie

I definitely agree with Wild. It not only about economic downfalls but difficult to prove your business with.

About your 3 month visa, you can stay in VN up to 10 months by 2 time visa extension.