Divorce

I am an English woman, living in the UK. I want to divorce my egyptian husband who is still living in Egypt. Soon after we married, my visa ran out and I had to return to the UK and it has now been 12 months since I had any contact with my husband! We married in Cairo but I never got the marriage paper translated or registered the marriage in the UK. I want to return to Egypt but hear that this could cause me problems ..? How can I divorce my husband as I do not know where he is or how to contact him. I would prefer to divorce from my own country rather than return to Cairo, if this is at all possible. Any help on this matter would be appreciated.

Go to the Egyptian embassy, give them the information you know about him, like name, date of birth or any other information, and they will help.

Do you have a copy of your marriage contract( the Arabic one)? If yes, all the details including his adress and ID number are there. So the embassy will have all the info. Another thing. Where did you get married in Cairo? Is it an Orfi contract? If yes, you can consider yourself divorced. If the contract is not Orfi you were married in the ministry of justice. If you provide more details we will be able to think about something.

Take care: if you married only orfi, he still can register it! If he does and you marry another man and you visit Egypt, he can put you in jail, because a woman is not allowed to be married to two men...

I have now managed to contact him, although he won't tell me where he is?? I asked about the divorce and he said he will go to Cairo and do it but I really don't believe him. I will talk with the Egyptian Embassy in London tomorrow and hope I can get a divorce from the UK as I am afraid to go to Cairo.

ah good luck, so sad:|

Hi,
I have now been in contact with my 'husband' and he says he needs 2000 l.e. for the lawyer but I understand he can go to the Ministry in Cairo and obtain the divorce, we have never lived together, he is in Egypt and I am in the UK since the marriage. I can't afford to go back to Egypt but I really want this divorce so is it possible for him to do it and will it really cost 2000 LE it seems all I've ever done in this 'relationship' is to give him money and I don't really want to give him any more! Please help. Or if anybody knows of a trustworthy lawyer in Cairo, I would appreciate it if you could give me their details.
Thanks so much for your comments so far

[Moderated: no free ads on the forum pls]

tui wrote:

Hi,
I have now been in contact with my 'husband' and he says he needs 2000 l.e. for the lawyer but I understand he can go to the Ministry in Cairo and obtain the divorce, we have never lived together, he is in Egypt and I am in the UK since the marriage. I can't afford to go back to Egypt but I really want this divorce so is it possible for him to do it and will it really cost 2000 LE it seems all I've ever done in this 'relationship' is to give him money and I don't really want to give him any more! Please help. Or if anybody knows of a trustworthy lawyer in Cairo, I would appreciate it if you could give me their details.
Thanks so much for your comments so far

Why did you marry this man? It sounds very strange! You marry him but you left. You could have gotten a residence with the marriage certificate, That s not  reason with " visa".
And a husband that you gave him money???? Egyptian husbands give wives money, provide houses, anything for their living... What type of husband is he?
Don t worry so much with the divorce, and don t give him any money again. Husband or a lawyer they will ask you again money, at the beginning little, after that more and more!
And why do you need a divorce as soon as this marriage is not registrated in Europe? Do you want to marry another Egyptian?

I'm afraid I believed in him and that was the reason I married unfortunately the second we were married, he changed, not very nice!
And NO I don't want to marry another Egyptian, but I am afraid to return to Egypt in case he causes problem for me.

Valibilic.
Tui needs advice and help not a lecture!
Tui I sent you a private message if U contact me I will try to help you.

mydream wrote:

Valibilic.
Tui needs advice and help not a lecture!
Tui I sent you a private message if U contact me I will try to help you.

She (Valibilic) gave the apt reply, since she was not clear about the whole situation. And I cant see any lecture in that. Its a critical query and you need to know the facts before replying.

However, You can discuss the solution in the open forum as it can help some other people who might be in the same situation than resorting to private messages. :)

hi babe

i have lived in hurghada for 8 years and have seen and heard of your problem so many times

not really your fault as egyptian men can be very charming - i have heard of a lot worse than you have had so count yourself lucky x

do not give him money or for a solicitor or you will never end this

it is good advice to go to the embassy

let me know if i can help you in any way

good luck

fawny

I am a South African woman married to an Egyptian man.  He has been to South Africa twice (because he convinced me to give him another chance and another chance and another chance and another chance....).  I have given my all to this relationship it is not a good one and it is time to let it go.  The problem is this man refuses to divorce me.  I could maybe still live with that as I do not plan to marry again but the problem is that this man periodically when he gets angry with me (mainly because I refuse to give him more chances...) contacts everyone I know, including my boss, friends etc.  He usually inform them of bad things I purportedly said about them.  The latest attack is to send naked photos (from the internet) to people I know and tell them its me sending such photos to men on chat sites... The situation has become impossible and is on the increase.  He is now threatening to make a case of bigamy against me to try and have me jailed.

is there anyone out there that can assist me? His local Embassy has received numerous e-mails and calls from me over the past year and a half and they are not responding to my pleas.  Home Affairs, Foreign Affairs and the Police wash their hands as their view is that I am married under Foreign Marital Laws.  I have to date not found a lawyer that knows anything about foreign marital laws either. 

I am at my wits end....

[Moderated: use the private message pls]

I have almost the same situation. Have you been able to find a way out?

Hi, Your marriage isn't recognize in England if you married in Cairo.  I wouldn't worry about it anyway...he can't find you and as long as you don't make contact with him, you can get on with your life without him.  No doubt he might have moved on now also but after another year you can divorce him without his permission. 
Good luck,
Caroline

Hi Possidrive 66

I would just like to let you know that a marriage in Cairo that has been carried out at the Ministry of Justice IS recognised in the UK.

I know it is recognised, as when you apply for a Visa for your husband to join you in the UK you have to be legally married and you have to produce your marriage certificate. You don't have to register it if you dont want to  but it is still legal and you could not marry again without divorcing your Egyptian husband.

If you look on the UK government web site it tells you that the marriage is legally recognised in the UK.

i am canadian woman and i married an egyptian man .....i want a divorce ....its been 2 years now since we visit each other and i never lived in Cairo ...i always lived in canada and he always lives in cairo ...he never came to canada .....i come to find out he only married me to get a green card to enter canada ....MARRIAGE FRAUD......i think i am entitiled  to divorce for reasons of 2 years seperated ......please help me ....he will not agree to divorce ....he only want money money money .....what do i do ????? do i have a chance to get my life back ???? i want to get rid of this imposture ....he is not a good man at all ....he only use the kindness and take the life from a good woman ...please hepl me  [email protected]

First off - I write with deep empathy to all who face this dilemma.

While I don't have specific, concrete and actionable information required - I recommend going through The Egyptian's posts on Divorce related threads.

He has provided authoritative information in the past - and likely, he may also have written about similar cases.

It will work out, It just has to.

according to Egyptian law , when an Egyptian marry a foreigner . the egyptian law will be applied . so , since he is a  muslim you can apply for divorce at the family court , you dont need to prove any abuse , as there is some kinda divorce called (Kholaa) by which a woman can get divorce without needing to prove any abuse from her spouse side neither does she need him to agree , it s easy , just a matter of time but 100% a woman can get divorce this way ,,,

Egyptian Lawyer wrote:

according to Egyptian law , when an Egyptian marry a foreigner . the egyptian law will be applied . so , since he is a  muslim you can apply for divorce at the family court , you dont need to prove any abuse , as there is some kinda divorce called (Kholaa) by which a woman can get divorce without needing to prove any abuse from her spouse side neither does she need him to agree , it s easy , just a matter of time but 100% a woman can get divorce this way ,,,

but when the wife want the divorce named (Kholaa) when she get it sooner or later as it takes time, she will never take her rights as its the condition to make this divorce!

don moe wrote:

she will never take her rights as its the condition to make this divorce!

Which rights do you expect her to take from this useless husband? :) Go for khoola, newfiechicky! Good luck!

Caty in Cairo wrote:
don moe wrote:

she will never take her rights as its the condition to make this divorce!

Which rights do you expect her to take from this useless husband? :) Go for khoola, newfiechicky! Good luck!

hehehe of course i agree with you in her case, but some times other women asks for her legal rights :)

I think you must move on in your life as you both are not in contact with each other from a long time.. He might also been moved on with someone else.. Or here is a useful source to get the best solution for your problem..

Hello, im married with an egyptian too, i went to the embassy here in my country and they said if he is not agree no way to get the divorced, now he is living in Cairo again, and i wonder if i can write to the foreigner ministry, that one which is in Tahirir squarer and see the way to send papers there.. or what can i do if embassy doesnt wanna help be, they are doing the oposite btw.

I would like to know if u got the divorce and how did u get it, thx very much

hi

if u husband dose not agree to divorced ... the Egyptian ministry of foreign affairs will not help u in this matter ... in this case ur only way to get divorce in Egypt that to asking for divorce ( khol'a ) by the Egyptian family court .

I wonder if i can do it since my country? how come i can contact family court?

shukran for ur help!

i married an Egyptian man in Cairo but we decided to part ways.. He said he did the divorce and sent me papers in arabic that were the divorce papers and apparently he married again.. If our marriage was recognised with the Australian embassy in Cairo and we were married in the Egyptian Consular, I also converted, how does my country now recognise that we are divorced if i have nothing in english nor have i signed anything.. Feeling worried, am i married or not??

Hi

I don't know if u marriage an official marriage here in Cairo or not , cos the official marriage done at the Egyptian's ministry of justice with the presence of the two parties also they want to divorce should go together again to the Egyptian's ministry of justice – foreigners marriage office to finish the divorce process .

Any way if u could scan for me this papers …. I can tell u what u can do & what is ur legal situation … but don't worry , if u want to get divorce if he didn't divorcing  its not big deal .

Just inbox me … if u have any more questions …

Best regards

I want to divorce my husband.  I am American; he is Egyptian and lives in Egypt.  Were were married in Egypt at the Ministry of Justice (an Islamic marriage).  At the time we were married; I was told that if I ever wanted a divorce, I would have to go back to Egypt to get one.  Can anyone help me?  Please.

Hi

H r u ? ….. hope every things is good .

If u want to get divorce from ur husband that he lives in Egypt u have two option :

1-u can get divorce from the Egyptian's  Ministry of Justice but u husband should go with u & agree to divorcing u .

2-if ur husband refuse to divorcing u then u can asking for divorce from the egyptian family court … in this case u need to hire an egyptian lawyer with POA & u need to come back here in Egypt for attending  the first 2 session of the trial … with this way u can get a verdict of divorce within 6 month – 1 year after that u will registered & stamped the verdict at the egyptian foreign affair to could use it at ur country .

have nice day

Yes it was definitely an official marriage, also papers done at Australian embassy.. Ill let you know, i need to get papers.. Thank you..

This thread is quite telling about the amount of marriage fraud that is going on in the country, and the risks that comes for Westerners getting married to an Egyptian. I hope others learn from this before making the same mistake.

The thing I didn't want was to have to see him again.  Don't know if he will agree to it or not.  Feeling so lost.  Thank you, Egyptian Lawyer.

Is an Islamic marriage in Egypt recognized outside the country? If it's not recognized in the USA, then does it matter what your marital status is in Egypt? Maybe that is something that you can research?

I think it is because it was done at the Ministry of Justice and we are in the middle of the visa process.  Though I probably won't ever get married again so maybe it doesn't really matter.

foolishfoolishgirl wrote:

I think it is because it was done at the Ministry of Justice and we are in the middle of the visa process.  Though I probably won't ever get married again so maybe it doesn't really matter.

I faced a similar situation in the past. I had gotten married in my own country, but did not register the marriage here (in the UK), and neither are marriages in my country automatically registered/recognized here. I later went and checked, and found that my status was still "single" according to the UK marriage registry, rather than "married" (i.e they were not aware of my marriage in my country as I didn't register it here). So I didn't have to do much, as I could get married here or anywhere (apart from my country) without it being polygamy. Since I had no intention to get married in my country again, I decided to sit back, and let her take care of the divorce, as it would only effect her if she wants to get married again, and not me. I suppose likewise it would be in his interest to get the divorce done if he wants to re-marry. I never returned back as I didn't want to see her face again, ignored the pathetic court letters, and the divorce was done after a period of time has passed. I don't know about Egyptian Islamic marriages, and whether they are automatically legally recognized in the USA. You might want to investigate this, and see whether it has any effect on your marital status in the States. As for the visa, I simply cancelled the process, informing them that I no longer intend to remain in the relationship and thus sponsor her... I was a "foolishfoolishboy"!!

If the Marriage happened according to the Islamic Law the woman can Divorce her Man under the law of Khola.

any part of the world the Islamic marriage law is the same.

So all ladies do not worry about it and consult ur nearest Islamic Marriage Society and tell them or Ask them about the rules Of Khola. They would explain u better n u can proceed with ur life.

All the Best and May peace be upon u .