Euro camp Xmas party last night S*cks!

its a party in the compound,one of the organizers of the party said  the place is very European then when we got there we found out there is no European style on that place..she got me there!and plus the people at the party are mostly Arabs. sorry but im expecting a western ambiance.,they have the worst Dj playing 80's song i think but the food is nice.just wanna let u all know not to go to this place for some events because its not worth of your money.by the way,the ticket is 200riyal.

crissy05 wrote:

they have the worst Dj playing 80's song

Was the problem with the Party mostly  the DJ or was it the 80's songs he played?

With DeeJaying, as with most things in life, what you play is so much more important than how you play it - kinda like Starkist Tuna if you catch my drift.

I hope he played some Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark (OMD), or at least a wee bit of New Order. If not then he should be sent back to DJ school for remediation!!

which Embassy organised this event?

I really want to join the British Embassy for future events when I arrive in riyadh, hopefully in February, But after some research (on britishexpat online) It became clear to me that you can only go to these events if your a teacher or "know someone"???? non-teachers are not allowed, any truth to this? I am really puzzled.

Bird4rmBritain wrote:

...you can only go to these events if your a teacher or "know someone"????

*you're

:D

http://images.sodahead.com/polls/000976055/7bdbf23871e875b4_817585_grammar_nazi_logo_large_xlarge.jpeg

TheLegendLeads wrote:
Bird4rmBritain wrote:

...you can only go to these events if your a teacher or "know someone"????

*you're

:D

:dumbom:

Guys come on, maybe its the auto-speller! :p
Damn these smartphones! They aren't really smart at all! :lol:

Not party but today I ate a delicious Christmas cake from a co-worker which she made it herself.

Scottlo: the problem is both,the DJ is an Arab who plays more Arabic songs than english songs,which me and my friends didn't expect,they're playing some belly dancing songs.dude,it was awful,really not my type of music.i should've let them borrow my phone and play all the music from it.haha btw,i like depeche mode.in a nutshell,this guy needs to go back to school of dj'ying(if u call it that way)lol!

Bird4rmBritain: i don't think its for teachers only,but the thing is you've got to know the right people to party whenever or wherever you want.better register on your embassy a few days after you arrive in Riyadh,so that they will inform you for future events.

Bird4rmBritain wrote:

which Embassy organised this event?

I really want to join the British Embassy for future events when I arrive in riyadh, hopefully in February, But after some research (on britishexpat online) It became clear to me that you can only go to these events if your a teacher or "know someone"???? non-teachers are not allowed, any truth to this? I am really puzzled.

The British Embassy isn't something you really join. It doesn't have an organisation like USERA in which you can join, become a member and be invited to events.

It does have a number of Societies affiliated with it that use Embassy facilities to host events. Groups such as the Riyadh Group for British Business Golf Society, English Society, CCRWS (Welsh), Caledonian Society and the Corunna Group use the Embassy to host functions, but they each have their own separate memberships and separate mailing lists.

The events organised by the British Embassy are usually organised either by one of two groups:

- The British Embassy: Mostly very formal, black tie events that are invitation only. Although tickets are free, you generally need to know somebody very well to obtain an invitation.

- The Wadi Club: The very informal social club run by Embassy Staff who run what they call "Wadi Nights". Tickets can be purchased, although from past history, tickets were generally quite difficult to obtain. The New Year's Eve Party went out to the general expat community though and from what I've gleaned on the grapevine, it may become that way in the future, but don't quote me.

But you should definitely register via LOCATE on the Embassy website. It may provide you with information on invites, although judging from what I have read elsewhere, it hasn't proved entirely fruitful. But you never know, things could change.

Oh and as for the whole "non-teachers" thing, from speaking with a friend, the event at the British Embassy is actually open to all. Although there are quite a few English teachers going, there are lots of non-English Teaching staff going.

tonguetwister:your reply is very informative.thanks to you.

There used to be a monthly bingo night at the British Embassy that was an incredible amount of fun! 

Unfortunately, however, it seems some new people took it over last year and everybody who had been on the 'list' was dumped in favor of the new group's friends (and many of us got stuck holding expensive pre-paid drink tickets :mad: ).

crissy05 wrote:

its a party in the compound,one of the organizers of the party said  the place is very European then when we got there we found out there is no European style on that place..she got me there!and plus the people at the party are mostly Arabs. sorry but im expecting a western ambiance.,they have the worst Dj playing 80's song i think but the food is nice.just wanna let u all know not to go to this place for some events because its not worth of your money.by the way,the ticket is 200riyal.

Lol...way to go! >:lol:

Had a small private party also @ an american comp > A band played a few songs[80's new wave(U2, The Cure, Bolshoi...)] and we had 2 sets of DJ's - but they all played nice and had all people hitting the dance floor ;) was fun...even some guests were ripping the guitar with their songs...the most fun part is : there are NO arabs at all, and NO tickets to pay for :)

people other than europeans are also human being dear friend....

Crissy, i guess u will never forget this 80s night...specially when u tell grandsons about it 😄😄😄

azhar_bf wrote:

Very true.  In fact, crissy is Filipino, not European.

But the comments about the fun part being no arabs :( I've met lots and lots of Arabs who I like a lot and who are so much fun!  This includes Saudis, Syrians, Lebanese, Egyptians, etc., both male and female.  It's about the individual, not where they're from!!

Alliecat wrote:
azhar_bf wrote:

But the comments about the fun part being no arabs :( I've met lots and lots of Arabs who I like a lot and who are so much fun!  This includes Saudis, Syrians, Lebanese, Egyptians, etc., both male and female.  It's about the individual, not where they're from!!

love it  :top:

azhar_bf: just to make it clear one of the organizers said that,the compound that were gonna visit has a nice place and views,very European style.so were expecting that it has a western ambiance because most of us Filipinos are more comfortable with the western people because we have similarities in culture and lifestyle.so when we got inside the compound and see what's happening inside,it didn't reach our expectations but because most of the people there are mostly arabs,and i cant talk and be comfortable with them because they're all talking arabic instead of english knowing our presence.i have arab friends and i love them and as what alliecat said its the individual,some arabs are cool some are not.ok?!even the music are all arabic while in fact we are expecting a more western music, that is because that's what they said bfore we go to that event..hope u get what i mean.

have a nice day to all of u.

Eng.ashraf wrote:

Crissy, i guess u will never forget this 80s night...specially when u tell grandsons about it 😄😄😄

for sure,i'll never forget.i even ask my friend to download some 80's songs for me..lol

Alliecat wrote:
azhar_bf wrote:

awww...sorry for the quote--it was just a pun on crissy's post...when she says most are arabs - and i'd say 'no arabs' in our party...well, in any race, there oughta be some who sucks...
But that's life...
Like, there are resorts in Dammam where arabs are not allowed, etc.

And of course, i have arab friends too...

@Crissy---get a refund

crissy05 wrote:

azhar_bf: just to make it clear one of the organizers said that,the compound that were gonna visit has a nice place and views,very European style.so were expecting that it has a western ambiance because most of us Filipinos are more comfortable with the western people because we have similarities in culture and lifestyle.so when we got inside the compound and see what's happening inside,it didn't reach our expectations but because most of the people there are mostly arabs,and i cant talk and be comfortable with them because they're all talking arabic instead of english knowing our presence.i have arab friends and i love them and as what alliecat said its the individual,some arabs are cool some are not.ok?!even the music are all arabic while in fact we are expecting a more western music, that is because that's what they said bfore we go to that event..hope u get what i mean.

have a nice day to all of u.

Yes, I can totally identify with the language issues.  It separates people.  Can also identify with the music issues lol esp. if you had wanted to dance! :D

alliecat:thank u for understanding.the language barrier is always an issue,my arab friends are just so nice they would speak english when were all together,they would'nt make me feel out of place.
i wasn't able to shake my bootie ala shakira because im not familiar with the music..lol

Popolocroix: im not gonna make a refund.its  Christmas anyway,its my gift to them..lol

and please ask before u assume..i hope i won't get any personal message regarding this post.i already made my point.u just have to read well and understand well to make such unkind comment.life is good!don't sweat the small stuff..

have a happy new year to all!:)

crissy05 wrote:

and please ask before u assume..i hope i won't get any personal message regarding this post.i already made my point.u just have to read well and understand well to make such unkind comment.life is good!don't sweat the small stuff..

have a happy new year to all!:)

you too, enjoy it :D

Alliecat wrote:

There used to be a monthly bingo night at the British Embassy that was an incredible amount of fun! 

Unfortunately, however, it seems some new people took it over last year and everybody who had been on the 'list' was dumped in favor of the new group's friends (and many of us got stuck holding expensive pre-paid drink tickets :mad: ).

There still is a monthly bingo at the British Embassy. They had one earlier in the month, although I didn't go to that one. They normally have great prizes. I think the jackpot can be something like SAR12,000 for a full house.

I'm not really sure what the "list" is, but from my understanding is that the current list goes out generally to the British expat communinity mainly at the British International School, BAE Systems and various civil servants that work in Saudi, plus members of the RGBB and other societies.

New Year's Eve though went out to everybody though and I don't think there are too many of the same people that usually go to the Bingo nights.

If you're in Riyadh, you should definitely try and go to the New Year's Event :)

tonguetwister wrote:
Alliecat wrote:

There still is a monthly bingo at the British Embassy. They had one earlier in the month, although I didn't go to that one. They normally have great prizes. I think the jackpot can be something like SAR12,000 for a full house.

I'm not really sure what the "list" is, but from my understanding is that the current list goes out generally to the British expat communinity mainly at the British International School, BAE Systems and various civil servants that work in Saudi, plus members of the RGBB and other societies.

New Year's Eve though went out to everybody though and I don't think there are too many of the same people that usually go to the Bingo nights.

If you're in Riyadh, you should definitely try and go to the New Year's Event :)

I know that the bingo continues but, as I said in my post, my company and those of us that went, were suddenly dropped when new people took over.  Actually BAE was dumped, too (at least the people who were on 'the list' when I had been going) and we all got stuck with expensive pre-paid drink tickets!!

We heard that new people had taken over the bingo and try as we might, we could never get back on 'the list.'  It sucked--one of the few low-keyed, fun things to look forward to (and you're right about the prizes!).