GETTING OMANI DRIVING LICENCE

Hi,
I am an indian, and will be moving to sohar shortly.

I was driving in bahrain with a bahraini driving licence for 20 yrs from 1988 to 2008.

1. Based on the bahraini licence, can i get an Omani licence 
   without taking driving lessons and appearing for driving tests?

2. If one has to take driving lessons and tests,
   is there an option for Automatic cars only ?

Tks,

-Narayan

Hi Narayan!

Welcome to Expat.com!

Armand

Tks

Hi,

Following procedure in the website provides you some information which might help you out.

wikiprocedure.com >> Oman >> Oman General >> Transferring foreign driving license to Oman Driving License.

narayanraju wrote:

Hi,
I am an indian, and will be moving to sohar shortly.

I was driving in bahrain with a bahraini driving licence for 20 yrs from 1988 to 2008.

1. Based on the bahraini licence, can i get an Omani licence 
   without taking driving lessons and appearing for driving tests?

2. If one has to take driving lessons and tests,
   is there an option for Automatic cars only ?

Tks,

-Narayan

HI. Welcome to Oman.
You can absolutely drive in Oman without passing the driving test. You can not drive a private number car unless your driving license is converted to Omani license, however you may continue with a rent a car.  Once your Bahrain license is converted locally, you can drive a private car .

The trick to converting is that you have to have old licence.  Mine was only 6 months old and they did not want to convert.
Beware.

Robert

tks guys.

My bahraini licence was in use for 20 yrs.
But it expired in 2008 - 5 yrs ago.
Since then i was in india.

Driving a rented car based on one's own country's licence is o.k for all countries, or only certain countries?

If one is getting a fresh omani licence, is there an option of automatic cars? - without passing a manual gear driving test?

-narayan

If your license is expired, then you have to undergo the process of a new license for Oman. Now a days, they have soften the policy for the asian people who already have the valid licenses from their countries. If you own one, you may not need to pass the drums and slope test, however passing the road test is must.

Regarding your second query, there are 2 type of private licenses. If you're taking a manual, then you can drive both manual and automatic, but if you're only applying for automatic, you can not drive a manual car. So for men, it is recommended to get the license onto the manual cars.

Hope the above clarifies the concern.

Tks Schaz,

Your answers r very clear. Thank you very much.

Since my Bahraini licence after using for 20 yrs, expired 5 yrs ago, i got an Indian driving licence just 2 months back.

-narayan

Your most welcome Mr. Narayan.

Alot of things will be clarified to you once you arrive at Muscat.