New to Bombay looking for friends. Please advice! Where to stay?

Hello,
My name is Mark.
I'm originally from Czech Republic, Europe.
I use to live for many years in California, USA and partially in Yucatan, Mexico.

I want to explore India, I never been before. I will travel in this interesting country until mid April.
I plan to travel from Bombay to Kerala and southern parts of India.

I 'll' arrive to Bombay on January 2nd. 2013 late night.
I'm looking for a new Indian friends and also for foreigners living in India to get some advices and info.

I'm artist and designer, so I would like to to meet some local artist for some idea exchange and possible cooperation.

Do you know about some cheaper, but clean accommodation in Bombay for the first few days from January 3rd?

Thanks for any advice!
Marek

It completely depends on your budget for the accomodation. You will find quite some places to live around andheri. There is Kohinoor hotel in Andheri Kurla road but they charge around 7K per night. You can also find some service apartments/ cheaper hotels around this area.

In case u find nothing else, In Mumbai suburb called Malad(west), Behind Inorbit shopping Mall , there is a huge HSBC bank office... Up the road from there is a 3 star hotel Called Hometel [Part of Sarovar Hotels group] U can get a room for abt 90 USD a night. Sry, thts the cheapest I know...

Thank you for your info. I hope I will not get into such troubles to be forced to pay $100 per night in India :-)
-m-

In Merida, capital of Yucatan, Mexico I paid $250 USD per MONTH for nice room with bathroom and kitchen in lovely pension.
I do not belive that India is more expensive than Yucatan tourist area full of american tourists :-)

Bombay will have some suitable stuff for u, just tht i don't know, and thts why i clearly wrote in case u find nothing else.... and tht it's a 3 star Hotel.... ;>

Another option I know of is a Paying guest accommodation where u share a flat with 2-3 people. These typically are given for a month or more... u can get tht for $100-$200 kind of range depending on the locality and number of co-flatmates. To search log into any good indian real estate website like 99acres.com , makan.com

Another pointer Andheri is sought of a center point for the cost divide in Mumbai anything south of it till Colaba in Mumbai is costlier being the up  market areas..... Anything north and east is cheaper ..... limit urself to Borivili suburb in north and Powai , Thane or Chembur suburbs in east... anything else is too far form the main mumbai areas...

Thank you Kymadoce for all the advices and info.
I'll stay in Mumbai only short time anyway.
I want to travel to south of India.
Any idea on nice places on coastside between Mumbai and south?

Thanks
Mark

odjinud wrote:

Mark

Try Hotels outside the Mumbai Central Railway Station, You will get the cheapest hotels there....

Good Luck

Hi Mark

Welcome to India and wish you a nice and safe stay.  There are many nice places along the west coast that you could visit.    To name a few, Goa (which has numerous beaches).  If you visit Goa, stay on the south if you want to relax and chill out, North Goa is more of a party place, lots of crowd and activities.  Gokerna is further down south, its is more like south Goa, has some beautiful beaches.  A Peaceful place.  Kochin is in Kerala along the coastline again, a mix of Indo-Portuguese architecture and nice beaches.   And there are so many other places in South India but not on the coast line (to name a few, Madurai, Mamallapuram, Pondicherry along the east coast, Humpi, Mysore, Wayanad, Ooty, and Coorg). 

Cheers
Yoda

odjinud wrote:

Thank you Kymadoce for all the advices and info.
I want to travel to south of India.
Any idea on nice places on coastside between Mumbai and south?

Thanks
Mark

My friend's friend is in bit of creative stuff in mumbai.... Sry I can't give u a direct reference but just drop in a mail to him & he just might end up helping. U can get his contact details thru his website :-
http://www.ashishdawar.com/home.html

In mumbai to network with some creative people u can try Prthvi Theatre at Juhu near Amitabh bachan's residence...And in south Mumbai... TATA theatre[ NCPA] at Nariman point, Leopold Cafe at colaba are other places where u might just bump into ppl of ur fraternity ;>

From Mumbai travelling to Goa via Konakan belt will be some beautiful scenic places... Mumbai - Ganpatiphule - Goa - Gokarna.
Again I guess Goa will be a good place to catch up with some other interesting ppl & backpackers as well...