Paying utility bills in Vietnam

Hello expat community,

I really like my stay here in Saigon. Everything is just so easy going here...
Except paying your utility bills sad
We spent half of our x-mas dinner in the dark, as the electricity company thought it's more romantic to celebrate christmas without electricity.
That sucks! So who knows an easy way to pay your utility bills in Vietnam?

Thanks for your help!

PS: sorry for posting that in both forums, Saigon and Ho Chi Minh City, but I wanna ask all folks from here.

What is your definition of "easy"? If by that you mean setting up an automatic draft from a bank account or something like that, maybe others here can help you. What I do is have all the utility bills mailed straight to my address, and my wife goes to the various offices in person and pays them every month. I don't know any other way to do it, and I've never had anything cut off, so it works for me.

You can open a VND bank account in ACB bank and let them pay for you. They have 247 service, they will inform you whenever utility bills are due and get your permission via phone to deduct the payments from your account. Its easy!

Actually, does anyone know what the deal is with paying the water bills? Electric can be done in the post office, but not water?

well. I checked some banks. It seems they can be part of the solution... But some of my suppliers have no connection to any bank (as far as I know yet). And the bigger problem is, that usually the English level at the bank is very limited.
Asking my wife to pay the bills is unfortunatelly not possible, as I am single ;)
But thanks so far. I'll keep looking for an easy way (which means I wish it can be like in Gemany. Just have money on my account and don't care at all...)

Marc SGN wrote:

Asking my wife to pay the bills is unfortunatelly not possible, as I am single ;)

If you are single, here in Vietnam I'm sure it won't take you very long to find a "significant other" to help you, if you really want one. Problem solved. (But then you may have a few others to deal with. ;))

I ask my landlord to take care of them: I gave him the bills when I receive them and he pays in advance. I settle everything when I pay the monthly rent.

Hi

As I said, any water bill, electricity bill, telephone bill, tv cable bill etc. can be easily paid via a bank account. The procedure is that you need to register what bills you will have the bank pay for you. Then, every month the bank teller will call to inform you the amount payable when due. Upon your acceptance and confirmation (via phone), they will deduct the payable amount from your account balance. You can also have your landlord to do it for you and repay him cash later.

Cheers
Sylvie

Hey Sylvie.

I guess you're Vietnamese, right?
I'm happy when people understand the word deposit in the bank. So a phonecall is just impossible...

lols poor you... As a local, you can use RSA token ring ( register at your local Bank, i`m using Techcombank ) . This manner you can pay for the electric bills.

any question feel free to ask

Cheer

Other then setting up a bank debit system or going to the actual office, is there any other way of paying water bills?

Electric can be done at Western Union etc but not water. And paying through the bank in person is insanely longwinded for water for some reason.

Marc SGN wrote:

Hey Sylvie.

I guess you're Vietnamese, right?
I'm happy when people understand the word deposit in the bank. So a phonecall is just impossible...

Hey, you're correct. I am Vietnamese and I understand your situation.

You don't need to have a deposit bank account, just use a prepaid card. Any question, you can call ACB at: 38247247 and press 3 for further info.(They can speak English or you can call me to get support-pm me your phone number).

As I am using ACB service for paying bills, I know they can work this out for you. Sure! Bring your passport to ACB Bank to get assitance.

Cheers

Secretary seems to be selling ACB for some reason or other. So what if you are single or married! Just walk into a bank show them the electric bill and they will know what else to do, don't even need any hand signals, right? Don't even need to open your mouth! lOL

Sploke77 wrote:

Secretary seems to be selling ACB for some reason or other. So what if you are single or married! Just walk into a bank show them the electric bill and they will know what else to do, don't even need any hand signals, right? Don't even need to open your mouth! lOL

if you don`t know anything then don`t state like that mate ! people honest to help each other, there is no fee to do this service, as long as the issue is resolved. if you register bank account then you have to pay for bank not for her, everyone know that !

The concern seems to be that the officers in the Bank do not speak English. I just ,mean you do not. Even need to speak, is that wrong??

Electric bills can be paid at Vietin Bank for no fee.  Can also pay at VNPT but not sure if there is a fee or go to the EVN office printed on the bill.

The water bill can also be paid at Vietin Bank but there is a 20,000 VND fee.  I go to the water dept., 194 Pasteur, Dist. 3 the address on the bill. 

I also pay cable TV and Internet at the SCTV office on NG Trai, Dist. 1.

I cannot speak VN but have paid all my bills for 13 months with no problems despite no due dates on them.

catsophat wrote:

Electric bills can be paid at Vietin Bank for no fee.  Can also pay at VNPT but not sure if there is a fee or go to the EVN office printed on the bill.

The water bill can also be paid at Vietin Bank but there is a 20,000 VND fee.  I go to the water dept., 194 Pasteur, Dist. 3 the address on the bill. 

I also pay cable TV and Internet at the SCTV office on NG Trai, Dist. 1.

I cannot speak VN but have paid all my bills for 13 months with no problems despite no due dates on them.

Catsophat, you`re Brilliant !!

Thanks, but am just being practical. Part of the expat experience is learning to do for yourself.

It is best, in my experience, to get all except the EVN-HCM (electricity)

Electricity: Offices and banks of rear of bill. They will attempt 2 collections and then terminate. Caution: There is a breaker in the meter box that is very fast acting. They often pop before the one in the house.

Note: Landlords and electricians occasionally cross-connect house wiring; try a few odd nights with the main switch off and see if anyone ls complains.

Water: In TP HCM there are water company offices in every district. Addresses on bills.

Cable TV: Have the account in your name. Collectors will call at least once (except PMH). Rarely disconnect (even when requested)

Garbage Collection: Collect at house (can be avoid by tossing the bags on the street).

Telephone: VNPT - any VNPT office, designated banks and Post Offices. If you don't get a bill there is a number to order a nw bill sent.

InterNet: VNPT - sign up at their office on Nguyen Du. Take visa, etc. with you. They will deliver modem but you have to return it (receipt) before the account is closed.

If you down grade service (speed) there is a fee. Instead cancel service, return modem then next day sign on for degraded service.

Upgrades no service charge.

Fibre optic cable has a minimum service contract (around one year).

Thanks everyone for this conversation. I'll check some possibilities and let you know here.

PS: Merrying a Vietnamese girl just to have someone who pays my bills is not a solution :D

Happy new year everyone!

One of my new year resolutions was to get my utility bills problem fixed (asap).
So today I went to the ACB Bank with my passport. It took me some time to find someone with a sufficient English level, as expected.

So the information I got was not really satisfying to me:

I showed them my bills and asked if I can pay all of them via ACB bank. They can just pay my TV and electricity bill, my water supplier and internet provider is not supported by ACB.

And to open an account I need to show them my working contract. As I don't carry my contract all the time with me and don't want to open an account to get 2 out of 4 bills paid, I had to abort my mission and will try to find another solution.

...to be continued.

Marc SGN, you might have contacted the wrong person. The ACB tellers did not give a right advice. Please call 1800577775, then press 3 for further advice from the 247 service. (If you come to the bank, go ask the 247 service, not the tellers sitting behind the counters).

Again, I am not an ACB agent. I repeat that I am using their 247 services. It costed me some money to contact them again and asked about your situation. Trust me! I am not selling their services.

Before you find another solution, you can give me your phone number, I will let them call you back and instruct you.

Cheers

PS: see this link: http://www.acb.com.vn/en/index.php?opti … &Itemid=75