Lucky money

what does it mean, when is it given, how much and to whom ?

For some strange reason giving a US$2 paper money is considered lucky money.  I have to bring about 50 of them when I visit during Tet.

vietnamese call it ": tiền lì xì" it means " lucky money"
in fact its just a little bit,but now it depend, if your family is rich, "lucky money" will be a lot.
comonmly, just children have beeb recieved lucky money,but sometime,lucky money means help, like...im a student, some my relative will give me some money like lucky money.
now im 22, i havent lucky money, huhu

@miss nguyen, now u should give out the lĩxi :))

hahaha, tet is really an oppotunity to rasie money, right?
of course just when we were young.

Panda7,

Li xi is similar to Christmas gift givings and New Year bonuses.  You are responsible to all those who are younger or inferior to you.  The amount is the value of each, to you.  You don't want to give soneone, whom you just met, more than those who had gone through thick and thin with you. 

Whatever you do, don't li xi people who are older or superior to you.  They might take that as a sign of disrespect on your part.

Wild_1 wrote:

Panda7,

Whatever you do, don't li xi people who are older or superior to you.  They might take that as a sign of disrespect on your part.

That must mean you get alot of them Wild_1.

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY.

Strangely, it originated from the Chinese.
Strange = Chinese giving away money?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_envelope

Today, it is common for children (grown up adults) to give red packets to their parents as a sign of filial piety and gratitude.
Traditionally, Lucky Money should be BRAND NEW bank notes for presentation.
Red packets/Lucky money is also given at the start of a new venture like the birth of a child, a wedding, startup of a business as a wish of good luck.
Any gift of money is always welcome. Those who are "superior" in status to you would normal accept your "good lucky" gesture and return a gift to the same value.
This practise of giving "lucky money" has caught up with the Malay (green packets) and Indian (yellow packets) communities in Malaysia and Singapore.
An advantage of this practice avoids return/exchange  of gifts after Xmas  :P

Lucky money, you might need over Tet. Mostly for the kids, if you are visiting a family, also adults, where you need   something / want to say thank you or might want something from them as well as your neighbors kids. Notes should be in good/new condition.

- Consider the above as unwritten "Law" -
anything else is "up-2-you", if and how much/big

We give about 10 000 vnd to the neighbors kids (basically about 300 m to left and right)already some days before Tet as well as sweets (on/during street coffee, where they all come), 50 000 for small kids in family and street kids (when and if around), 100 000 the bigger once (14 years +), In-laws 500 000 each.

Lucky money for small kids (below 14 years) should bagged (you can buy at the markets, banks, street corners, typical red/yellow/gold colored mini envelopes). No need to write anything. Lucky money is normally given during the greeting/ seeing first.

If you have official "obligations", a small (3 kind of) fruits to huge (9 kind of) fruit basket with add-ons like  brandy, a crate/6-pack of beer plus some bagged lucky money in the basket, depending on who and why (up to a week prior Tet, NOT DURING TET).

Budman1 wrote:

That must mean you get alot of them Wild_1.

No, man!  Like Ms Nguyen had said, I stopped receiving "li xi" as soon as I became an adult.

Hey, but if you and Anatta are willing to "li xi" me, I will make exceptions???  :idontagree:  "Show me the money?"  :proud

But, in all earnesty dudes, "li xi" is like gift-giving.  It is an art form that is to be learned and practiced with discipline, to fully realize its purpose. 

I have seen fellas that handed out thousands of dollars and received nothing but criticisms.  At the same time, I saw folks that gave out nothing but "ve so"; yet, others raved about them for years...

The Cong An and CGST love lucky money ... only they ask for it instead of being patient.

The CGST was found, in a recent survey, to be the most corrupt government organisation in VN. Guess they haven't priced a visa recently.

For those who don't know, it is a New Year tradition to use the "li xi" money to play "bau cua ca cop" game

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bau_cua_ca_cop

how about an older housekeeper / cleaning lady ?

Lucky money is good for every age, even for "older" housekeepers

so with say a house keeper or an older kid of say 15 do you just give money or is it better to put it in the red envelope ? are the envelopes just for young children ? giving straight just feels a little strange...I would prefer to put in envelope as it presents more like a gift...

also do you wait for the 3 day holiday or is before ok ?

Thanks

Panda7 wrote:

She is older, but she works for you.  Therefore, she deserves a little "good luck" money.  The only ones you should avoid handing "li xi" to are your bosses or landlords.  They should "li xi" you instead.

How much?  That really depends on in what capacity is she working for you and how long she has been serving you.  The amount should reflect that relationship, never to exceed a month's salary though.

As for when to start handing them out...  The ideal dates are the 1st and 2nd of the Lunar calendar.  Those are the days that Vietnamese traditionally visit their families and friends to exchange well wishes.  "Li xi" is part of that.  However, if your employees or friends go home for Tet, then you should "li xi" them before they depart.  The 3rd is rather late.  But, beyond that, you would be better served not giving anything out.  Catch them on some other occasions.

I would prefer to put in envelope as it presents more like a gift...

You must always put "li xis" in red envelopes.  Giving "li xis" out, without the red envelopes is like giving Christmas presents unwrapped.  Not very cool, my friend.

Wild_1 wrote:
Panda7 wrote:

She is older, but she works for you.  Therefore, she deserves a little "good luck" money.  The only ones you should avoid handing "li xi" to are your bosses or landlords.  They should "li xi" you instead.

How much?  That really depends on in what capacity is she working for you and how long she has been serving you.  The amount should reflect that relationship, never to exceed a month's salary though.

As for when to start handing them out...  The ideal date is the 1st and 2nd of the Lunar calendar.  Those are the days that Vietnamese traditionally visit their families and friends to exchange well wishes.  "Li xi" is part of that.  However, if your employees or friends go home for Tet, then you should "li xi" them before they depart.  The 3rd is rather late.  But, beyond that, you would be better served not giving anything out.  Catch them on some other occasions.

I would prefer to put in envelope as it presents more like a gift...

You must always put "li xis" in red envelopes.  Giving "li xis" out, without the red envelopes is like giving Christmas presents unwrapped.  Not very cool, my friend.

I'm 20 but sometimes I'm still recieved "li xi", 'cause I haven't gone to work yet, haven't earned money myself yet, we just stop recieving "li xi" when we can earn money ourselves, certainly not as soon as I became an adult as you said in the previous comment. However, it depends on where you're living and what your point of views are.

If you give "li xi" for baby or for a children, you should give it with the red envelopes, it's better 'cause the people believe it will bring them good luck. But if you "li xi" for a person (like me, I'm 20), even you don't need the red envelopes, he he.

Li xi is for the elderly (70+) as well to wish them good health and longevity.

thanks for all the responses, starting to get a feel for it now...

Lucky Money, it never stops lol

Hi gang,

I can see giving "lucky money" to the elderly, like your gardeners or neighbors.  But not your parents nor those in high places.  That is a big no-no!  It is like saying you are equal to or are better than them.  Don't do that.  Traditionally, you visit them and wish them health and longevity, then they give you "lucky money", not the other way around.

Peace and prosperity to all,
Howie

We have given to my parents in law. They are 77  and 72. All the years and now again. Never had a complaint :). We also support them  regular, each month a bit towards the bills.