Arriving in Riyadh without Abbaya.

How strict are they at the airport about women arriving in the country without Abbaya? Can you buy one at the airport? I am hoping my wife will join me in Saudi, but she cannot find anywhere to buy an Abbaya in Beijing. Not surprising really as they don't have many muslims there.

Evening Star

Not much of a problem, you can directly rush from the Airport to the Abaya store and Buy one ASAP.

its not a big problem  .. just buy it to her in the next day .. take her from the air port to the accommodation by  private car or by London taxi .. dont use the public transportation :)

iMiNGO wrote:

public transportation :)

:huh: Are there any from the Airport ?

My husband and I ordered one off the internet so that I would have one for when I arrived.  It was shipped internationally to me in the states so you may be able to find one that way.  Or at least one that would work in the mean time.  Other than that, I agree with the other two responses and don't think she would have a problem as long as she is dressed conservatively.  I've heard of a few women arriving without one.  However, there may be others here with a different experience.

I hope that everything works out and she's able to join you :)

I actually saw half a dozen women on your flight come out without an abaya.

just makes it easier to blend in with one. but noone will stop you

Freshlikesushi wrote:

I actually saw half a dozen women on your flight come out without an abaya.

just makes it easier to blend in with one. but noone will stop you

I don't think they were on my flight... there only half a dozen people after we stopped in Jeddah and most were men.  Anyway, most people are going to stare.  She won't have any troubles or be given any grief. I met some really nice people on the plane and airport so I am sure it will be the same for her :)

but be sure you wear a dress which covers from your shoulder to your toe

nah. there were women with jeans and a long sleeve shirt.

saimans wrote:
iMiNGO wrote:

public transportation :)

:huh: Are there any from the Airport ?

yeah i mean the taxis ( the public taxis )

yeah, tons of taxis

I've seen many western women arrive without abayas but the secret to NOT getting unwanted stares is to wear long, loose clothing (skip the tight jeans and halter tops lol).

You'll be fine!  Wear the same outfit to get an abaya ASAP (an easy way to get one, quickly and cheap, is from one of the hyper markets.  I got my first one from Euromarche).