Tailors in PP?

Are there lots of cheap tailors in PP like there are in India? 

Thanks!

in central market

Cheap is the key word. EVERYTHING in Phnom Penh is Counterfeit/pirated/copy/smoke and mirrors.. It will say cotton but will be polyester/rayon. You will often be shown a swatch of quality fabric and then the clothes you ordered will be made of far inferior material that are virtually unwearable in that climate. This happened to myself and friends. Their response will be to call the police who will only rob you further upon arrival as is always the case. Bangkok is far better. Try there and always get a sample of the material and leave as little deposit as possible.

teemo123 wrote:

Cheap is the key word. EVERYTHING in Phnom Penh is Counterfeit/pirated/copy/smoke and mirrors.. It will say cotton but will be polyester/rayon. You will often be shown a swatch of quality fabric and then the clothes you ordered will be made of far inferior material that are virtually unwearable in that climate. This happened to myself and friends. Their response will be to call the police who will only rob you further upon arrival as is always the case. Bangkok is far better. Try there and always get a sample of the material and leave as little deposit as possible.

Thanks for the reply, teemo! 

I actually already have the materials--bought in India but then left without having a lot of it tailored into simple kurtas.  I was just hoping to be able to have the stitching done as cheaply and readily as in India.

33388s wrote:

in central market

Hi there, thanks for the suggestion.  As I mentioned, I already have the fabrics, just need the stitching.

Advise you to bring a sample of the clothing to show the tailor else they may do it the local style which may turn out to be SUPER tight fitting.

Alliecat wrote:
33388s wrote:

in central market

Hi there, thanks for the suggestion.  As I mentioned, I already have the fabrics, just need the stitching.

Central market has a lot of tailors. I took my jeans to be fixed last time. I'm sure they do the stiching too.

I saw in a tailor ad in PP and he charged $30.00 to make a shirt and you buy the cloth. That was a turn off cause you can probably buy a shirt for that price. But I'm sure there are cheaper. You have a balance price vs quality.

phnom penh bound wrote:

I saw in a tailor ad in PP and he charged $30.00 to make a shirt and you buy the cloth. That was a turn off cause you can probably buy a shirt for that price. But I'm sure there are cheaper. You have a balance price vs quality.

For $30 per shirt, *I* will make shirts!!  Actually, in India tailors charged $5 for simple kurtas and you supply the material.

Ya, thats expensive compare with the local tailor that charge me. Is that tailor who charge US$30 very talented? Got very unique design and make?

I would stay away from doing any kind of business transaction in Cambodia. They are the whole a very unethical people. $30 for a shirt and you supply the materials ? This is exactly what I mean. They would rather make no money at all and lose customers and word of mouth than make a standard profit. They lack rational, linear, thinking. This is unfortunately their way and a major reason why the country is in the state it is in globally today and the foreseeable future.

teemo123 wrote:

I would stay away from doing any kind of business transaction in Cambodia. They are the whole a very unethical people. $30 for a shirt and you supply the materials ? This is exactly what I mean. They would rather make no money at all and lose customers and word of mouth than make a standard profit. They lack rational, linear, thinking. This is unfortunately their way and a major reason why the country is in the state it is in globally today and the foreseeable future.

As businessmen, they're free to ask whatever they like :)  And, as a consumer, I am free to turn them down (which I *certainly* would for $30 to stitch a shirt!).

But I do know what you're saying.  In India, auto-rickshaw drivers wouldn't negotiate a price while the guy next to them in line *would* and so got my business.  So then what?  The first guy just sits there and makes nothing.  I never could understand that rationale.  I mean, 50% of something is better than 100% of nothing!

I like to go to the tailor my self.. because i like to wear Indonesian batik. these are some shops I had gone to.
1. If your cloth is expensive, i suggest you to go to an experience tailor. you can try Sopphor Khmer Silk in Street Norodom. I'm from Indonesia. I like to wear our traditional fabric called batik and for events we wear "Kebaya". They can make it almost the same, although sometimes if you did not inform them, they will not match the motif. The other problem with this shop is that its quite expensive. ($25-30 for the blouse) :( but they can speak good English.
2. There is also a Youth Tailor is Phsar TTP they can speak english but they have many costumer so it take a loong time (1 month)

3. Friends tailor in street 174. i made a few there.. there is a lady that can speak some english.. i need to go back 1 or 2 time.. but its quite cheap.

4. behind java cafe. there is also a good tailor.. but they cant speak english too good. so you need to bring the example of the clothes you want to make. I never try it here but my friends had try it and it suits her very well.

5. there is a good tailor on street 456 If your from St. Monivong go to St. 456. its on your left. before you reach the Phsar TTP. I think its in front of Emerald Garage.  its very good but they speak only Khmer so you need to bring along a Khmer translator.

hope it helps.