Family moving to London with young kids

We are relocating to London with our 3-year-old twins due to my husband's job transfer.  He'll be working in Canary Wharf. 

I would like some advice on some family-oriented neighborhoods that are still close to dining and shopping.

Also, would like to meet up with people for socializing and play dates.

-US to London in 2010

Canary Warf itself seems to be a nice area to live although I am not sure how family friendly it is.  There are plenty of shops and restaurants and it is quite nicely located with regards to getting into central and West London where there is always a lot going on.  Canary Warf is also a very clean and modern area and reminds me a bit of how Toronto used to be.

Other more suburban and more villagy areas that are not too far by tube from Canary Warf are, South Woodford, Wanstead, Woodford Green, Woodford, Buckhurst Hill and Chigwell.  In my opinion to be close to the shops, restaurants and a place that is very family friendly, either Wanstead or South Woodford would be my pick.

Good luck!!

By the way, if your husband likes to play baseball or wants to be involved in the new little league that we are starting up in 2010 he can contact me at [email protected]

I used to live in Canary Warf (Wolve crescent) three years ago and really, really loved it. Nice and quiet area, and all conveniences (Tesco, cinema, bowling) are very close.

I lived in several places but Canary warf was definitely the best !

am plammimg to move to london to seek dorex trading related jobs next month, how about cost of living i mean a flat sharing cost in canary wharf pls any hints? tnx.

sorry wrong spelling, i meant am planning to seek any forex sales or forex trading related jobs, may i ask hints fm u guys on flat sharing cost (if available) in canary warf pls? tnx again...

Hey gabbytrades,

This might be too late for you but gumtree.com is defintely a good place to start if you're looking for flatshare. A pal of mine is sharing a two bedroom flat with another person and he's paying just over 600 quid per month excluding bills.

@nytouk,

I'm very tempted to suggest Primrose Hill area. Not only there are some nice high streets in the vicinity (very family orientated), it's also near to Camden Town in the event that you would like to let your hair down every now and then. :)

Hi ckwoo,

Tnx a lot for the tips...