Driving in Vietnam

if you are an expat and living in vietnam  for god sake do not venture in driving your self.
my brand new car has been hit from the back by a crazy driver, we called the police to make a report for the insurance, the first police came took all my documents  , driving license, passport then i was turn to other police  who as i was told in charge of foreigners, there i have to sign over 12 documents and give my life story   this took two day  and  my car was bounded by the police, i had to call my Vietnamese girl friend who translated for me  explains that this is the law in Vietnam , and that i am lucky that they kept my car for two days, had i been a Vietnamese they would have kept  my car for not less than one week and i have to bribe the police as well.  such a an experience i shall never forget the rest of my life

Hi and welcome to the forum mockbil!

Sad story. Shame your first input is a negative one.
Hope things will get better.

Regards
Armand

When an accident takes place, unless there is a fatalily, Vietnamese drivers solve it among themselves.  If they don't and the police gets involved.  Both vehicles will get impounded for "investigation."  Then, which ever driver is better connected or pays more will get his out sooner and be cleared.  If neither driver knows anyone worth mentioning and neither wants to pay, then the police will begin their actual investigation and report, which can take months.  The underlying object here is money and power.

In your case, the other driver knew that he was not going to be able to work out a settlement with you and decided to take his chances with the cops; and the cops knew that they were not going to get much from you, they passed you on to the other cops, who have the worst jobs in the department.  At any rate, I hope they didn't make you pay for your repairs?

As an CEO of a foreign company, you should be driven by a driver who is street traffic wise. This is a necessary status thing. Vietnamese are a very status awareness society.
Most expat start to scream and shout after three months in Vietnam. You have lost it!
Hanoi has many recreational and Yoga centers.
I am sure Murphy was a Vietnamese :P

Just remove the original bumpers and replace with I-beam type girders. Mine are exactly the same length as the originals and therefore the CGST can't complain.

Also, when your vehicle is impounded there is an extremely high risk of theft or 'exchanging' (where an accessory is replaced by a cheap version. Remove everything you can and take pictures. Also serial numbers of tires.

I have all my accessories on my truck and motorcycles 'tack' welded so some SOB can't remove them.

Many 'executives' have drivers as 'jail bait'. In the event of a serious accident, the driver will usually be arrested and imprisoned - hence the name 'jail bait'.

I used to teach truck/lorry driving in the military and although defensive driving was a priority (in a 10-ton truck!) driving in VietNam requires even more 'yielding'/forgiveness/tolerance of fools than other countries.

Remember, many Vietnamese learnt to drive on bicycles and yaks (or whatever they call those strange looking cows).