Planning to become an expat. Playa Del Carmen

Hello

I need help understanding what must be done to make this dream possible.

I have just finished university and am desperate to return to Playa del Carmen where I had a holiday there in 2010. I made many mexican friends who were staff at the hotel and they have very kindly invited me over to spend some time there.

The only problem is the Visa scenario.

I want to stay there much longer than the 180 days granted and will need to work to pay living costs. They all believe that once I get there and find a job I will be given my FM3, therefore allowing me to work and outstay the 180 days.

I'm not so sure this is correct, especially after reading up about Visa's and that the Visa I really need is the Temporary Residency Visa.

The Temporary Residency Visa seems complicated and very difficult to actually obtain so I don't think that's an option to me.

I guess i'm just going to have to see how it goes and just fly out there.

Thank you for reading this and if you have anything to tell me then please go ahead! anything you have to offer will be appreciated greatly.

also, would a one way ticket cause problems?

Jordan

A one-way ticket will be no problem with Mexican Migration. Unless you're flying directly to Mexico, avoiding the US, you can get a 180 day tourist permit, else you're restricted to 90 days courtesy of the US Government. For more details, check with a travel agency.

Getting a job might be harder to do. You might get a job in the tourist industry, i.e., hotels, bars and restaurants, but the pay is low. Real low. Time share and condo selling pays better. Some companies will help you with the visa. Temporary visa for residence has income requirements and, now, must be applied for in your home country not in Mexico.

¡Suerte!

Thank you very much for your speedy reply Joaquinx.

Are you saying there's a possibility that if I find a job in say a hotel, bar etc then they could provide me with a work visa? Or will I definitely have to return home to finalise this process no matter what?

Here are some messages from a discussion held with my nearest consulate through email...

"Dear Jordan

When the visitor has been invited by a Mexican company/Institution to perform lucrative activities, the Mexican company/institution must request the work permit at the National Migration Institute in Mexico www.inm.gob.mx"

"You are allow to stay in the country up to 6 months but as a tourist. Since the 9 of November 2012 you are not allow to change your migratory status in Mexico anymore."

"The only way you can travel with a one way ticket, is when you have a 'Working visa' or a 'Temporary Residence visa' stamped in your passport. And definitely you cannot extend or change your migratory status in Mexico, if you have enter as a tourist."

Unfortunately it looks like i'll have to find a job out there, return home, visit my consulate and then fly out again! which will be costly! :(

Also, do you know if my 180 days allowance will reset when I leave and re-enter?

Best, Jordan

I doubt if the owners of hotels, bars, etc. will help you with a work visa. However, those companies that sell condos and time-shares often do aid in the obtaining of working visas. This is not a sure bet. With the working visa, you can enter the country on a tourist permit (FMM) and then apply for a working visa through the company that hires you while you are in Mexico. Resident visas have to be applied at the Mexican Consuluate in your home country.

Mexico does not require a return ticket to enter the country, however, many airline do require it and will not let you board without one. You could buy a refundable ticket and then cancel it. How long that would take to get you money returned, I wouldn't know. Ask a travel agent.

You can make a day trip to Belize and then return and get another 180 day FMM permit. Remember that the 90 day restriction applys to those whose flight stops in the USA. See US Transit Visa

Thanks for all your help Joaquinx you've been brilliant!

Best, Jordan