Retirement in the Philippines

Hi, my name is Ken.
I have a finance of many years in the Philippines and I have tried every legal way in the world to get her to the US. I will spare you the details.
She lives in a barrio near Santa Barbara where we bought a small piece of property and built a modest little house. Her family lives in the area and her father, one brother and a nephew actually live there in our house.
In one year and eight months I will be 62 years old and eligible for social security retirement. I want to sell my house and most of my belongings and retire there. My fiance' tells me that she sees more and more retired American men there with Philippine wives.
I am sure there are men who have retired there successfully and happily with Philippine wives who would like to tell me about their lives there and correspond on a regular basis. And maybe do things with Ada and I as couples when I get there.
I am anxious to hear from you.

Hi Ken,

You have a great story here, all I thought is that you dont know anybody yet and in a way you just would want to enjoy but anyway, Sta. Barbara if Im not mistaken is in Pangasinan. Thats where Paul lives too Pangasinan. Although its a bit far from where he is at, my mom grew in that province and they lived there for quite sometime as well. Yes you are correct, You will be very satisfied when you retire here. My concern is, you do already have a girlfriend and you already have plans. Well frankly speaking, cost of living is very cheap. Also you really dont have to give in to whatever your wife tells you, you know why? because somebody else might benefit from it, if it is okay with you I would like to know her full name so I can check her out and see what seems to be a mistake, or if everything for you and her is good to go. Its not that Im coming into your life just because I said so, of course with all due respect if you will just allow me to. Going back in retiring here, if your Social Security Pension reach around $1500- $2000 then you re in good shape. If its less than that you might be in trouble because for sure you will get popular and become this and that,be a sponsor and lot more. If I were you try to put a little investment in the city without her knowing and surprise that you did a good job even if you are not yet here. And Id rather stay in the province than in the city, but businesses boom when you put it in Manila per say. I have Ideas with regard to this one, but again it is your choice. Investing on properties in where she is at right now might not be a very good idea since most likely what you are to put up as an investment is ricefield which takes 3months before you get your money back and theres no assurance, hog raising... I personally have been a hog raiser and its not so sure that you will earn it depends really. So ask me more things if you need more information, Ill be glad of help to you and your future wife. Thanks!

Hi Ken
u can be rest assured there r many foreigner living in Phills
(Filipinos think all foreigner are american)in Naga City of the 30odd foreigner I know there are only 3 americans, 2 aussies
6 or 7 germans the rest english, this I think is because english age pension is plenty to live on in Phills.
on top of the ones I know and have a beer with there would be double that we all see in malls etc that are not sociable.
Naga City is a small place by Filipino standards
as for amount that is needed to live on, ofcourse ur life style
dictate that but for us, we have 3 kids in private school,run car & bike all have cell ph,payTV,internet in other words live a western life style for 70,000p p/m $17500us but no rent as we own our units, the kids contitute half that amount
Pete

Ken

Have you visited the Philippines before?  If not, don't go and sell all of your worldly possessions and move to the Phils before you do a long visit.

Also, if you have not personally met your fiance, make sure you do and would be better to live far away from her family. 

Do a lot of research and read up on other websites like liveinthephillipines or texaninthephillipines (the texan is in a similar situation/retired).

Remember $1500may seem like a lot in the Phils, but unforseen costs such as medical (yours and every family member) will add up quickly. Not sure you can claim medicare locally.

Anyway, good luck. I was born in Springdale and spent my school days in Hot Springs, AR.

All true Ken,

So you might want to check everything out. Just make sure that if you feel that you are taken advantage of, just resist. Filipinas are very charming andsometimes you cant.resist. Think about everything and plan ahead of time.

Ken, sounds like you have never been to the Philippines, but you built a house and will be living with her father, brother and nephew?  Thank you for sparing us the details of why your fiance never made it to the USA, but if you had ever met her in the Philippines, then a fiance visa would have been easy to do.  It does sound like you are going to be ambushed.  Please take dhnindc's advise and travel to RP and check it and the whole family scene out before you commit to anything life-changing.  You get a 3 week visa and it is not expensive to extend it.  I say this as a person who got married in the Philippines and then waited a year until my wife received her spousal visa to come to the USA.  Great research, by reading, hearing stories and personal experience is required to have an idea of the life you will lead. I am pleased with the results, but I knew it was gonna be some kind of change from USA life.  Good Luck and MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

Ken.

You can find out some things about living in the Philippines at my website.  I'm the Texan in the Philippines.  I and/or my readers will be happy to answer any questions that you have.  If you plan on living in the Santa Barbara area, I see that it is in Iloilo and I know of some expats that live there and a good blog for you to check out.  The blog is Philippines Plus and the guy that runs it is named Dave. He knows of several other expats living there also.  I've never personally met him, but he seems like a cool guy and y'all are about the same age, he's 60.  There are blogs all over the internet of expats living here.
Let me know if there is something I can do to help you out.  If you go to Dave's site, please let him know that I directed you towards him.  I don't get anything out of it, except maybe a free beer when I go visit him one day.

John
TitP

dhnindc wrote:

Ken

Have you visited the Philippines before?  If not, don't go and sell all of your worldly possessions and move to the Phils before you do a long visit.

Also, if you have not personally met your fiance, make sure you do and would be better to live far away from her family. 

Do a lot of research and read up on other websites like liveinthephillipines or texaninthephillipines (the texan is in a similar situation/retired).

Remember $1500may seem like a lot in the Phils, but unforseen costs such as medical (yours and every family member) will add up quickly. Not sure you can claim medicare locally.

Anyway, good luck. I was born in Springdale and spent my school days in Hot Springs, AR.

Hey dhnindc.

Thanks for recommending me as a place for someone to check out.  I appreciate it.  You nailed it when you told him that he needs to come visit first before making a final commitment.  I always recommend that to any new comers.

UJ - The Texan in the Philippines

I wonder how often you see your financee, does she visit you or do you go to the Phils to see her ? Have you ever been out Of your country ?....
No I know it's none of my business but firstly you MUST visit the Phil's first. Spend a month with your Financee and enjoy the Phils, if you have never been there you will learn a lot.
There are lots of expats of different nationalities, some make a success of it some do not. But a months trial will let you know if you have what it takes. Before any commitment.
We live in Tagaytay which is 2000 ft up a mountain and so is a llittle cooler than most other areas of the Phils, how are you in hot and humid climates.....
Good luck anyway.

Hi Ken,
I'm Miles from CA. Next month I will move to the Philippines with my Filipina wife of 10 years.  We've sold our home here in Califronia and we're completing the process of liberating ourselves of our large amount of possessions. We purchased a lot in a new development in Santa Rosa, Laguna.  I recently turned 66.  My wife is quite familiar with the legalities of emigration and immigration and we have family/friends working in that area with the government. Of course, she does not always agree with my concept of having never met a stranger. Let's get to know each other a bit, and be careful with advice from strangers ! ! !

Good evening, I been here for over 2 years now and I love it, you should mover here because your retirement will go further here and you can live a comfortable life here, depending on how much your retirement is and how much your social security is you cn live a very comfortable life here, we have a small business and about to venture into others in the near future, soon I will be at the point where I won't have to touch my retirement at all and build our dream home. I have seen many expats get trapped by going to the bars and getting involved with bar girls and they blow their retirement in the wrong way. One could live very well and happy here, if you have a good partner she will help you to succeed and take really good care of you, this is what I found out about Filippinas their loving and very caring if you treat them good they will bind over backwards for you. So enjoy and have fun here. God bless.

well i have  been coming to the  Philippines for  a  long  time  and  now  live  here, i am married  to a  filipina  from the  province, we  are  finishing  our  new  house, it  is  a  Filipino house, plane  but  nice  and  strong, i live  in a  family compound, my wife  has a small house  we lived in while  building  our  new  house, we  rent  it  out  now, my budget  is $1,000 USD a month i make  more  but this  is  my budget  and  i have  money left  over every month and  i am still spending  on the  house,i am doing  most  of  the  work my self  now  laying  tile  painting, so on i have  internet  cable, and  air  in the  bed  rooms, my son goes  to private  school, if  you live  the  western life  style  in a  subdivision it  will cost  you, and  if  your  wife  is  from the  province, when she  meets  the  others  in the  western subdivision than over  time  she  will be  the  same, so a  warning but  it  is  not  a  problem if  you can afford it,you could  not  believe  what  i have  seen in the  50 years  i have  been coming  here, very few  stay past  5  years, a lot  of  dreamers  come  here and  find  out  the  hard  way sorry to say, but  over  all if  you can live  on your  income  in your  country you can live  better  here

Hi, my son was in the same situation and can let you know how he got his wife here.  There seem to be a lot of funny criteria that  can make it a problem. Can I ask how long have you two been together and how old is your finance? Do you support her and how long? Hope we can help.

Hello Ken,
I live in Maine right now but have lived in Manila for about 10 years, traveling around the area for 30 years, intend to return with my wife this Fall.
If you like, give me a call and we can discuss the future over there. Would like to link up with expats prior to the move.
Paul...207-203-1139

HI Ken,

this post was in 2012 and just checking if you are already made your move here in the PI.
Pinaymentor

Hi there! Im afraid of what you did since her family is with her. If you live in benefits and it wouldnt reach $1000, it might be hard for you.... Im just being honest man.... there might be people around her that might take advantage of you that you cant resist.... I know a lot of Americans who lived here.... but their benefits monthly reach over $1800... I am the one who accompanied them till they got the hang of the expenses. specially the way of cooking.... Im very particular about that... since most Americans have very sensitive stomachs...

[Moderated]

hi pat kep in touch,because ill be going to Philippines sometime next year,would like to met you guys?

Hi .... My Name is John , I live in Darwin Australia at the Moment I Lived in San Isidro Northern Samar For a couple Years with my Fiance and Love it , its so much affordable like a coffee is 25 cents and so on .. We have started up a piggery at our place ...
And i am back in Australia making a bit more cash before my Pension
is due to start next year .... You Will Not Regret making the Move
.. Naturally it will take a while to settle in and make some adjustments, as you live in their country ... The Food is not Good
You will have to teach Her what you want, and mostly show her how you want it cooked .. I Took My Girl to Thailand for a Holiday to Learn Thai cooking... It worked she loves the difference I also
Got Her Here To Australia on a 3 Month Holiday Visa applied and got it in the philippines Direct with Immigration ..CHEERS

Hi John,

My name is Ken and I have a lot of experience with the Philippines and a fiance' there. This has gone on for 6 years and I have been there 4 times. We have been trying to get her annulment finished for the better part of 5 years I guess. I told her a couple of years ago that if we couldn't get her here, I would go there when I turn 62 and can collect US Social Security. I am almost there now.

So I would really like to talk to some other men who have filipina wives or fiance's who have been there long term or are there now.
How hard is it to immigrate? Does it make a difference if you own land there? How much is medical insurance? I have lots of questions that can only be answered by men who are living that dream.

Thanks, Ken

Hello Ken .... I moved to Asia in 2009 ... I stayed in Cambodia ,
  Thailand and Vietnam for first 9 months then went to Philippines

I Bought a House and lot , ( not necessary ) and renevated to a
  3 story house, Hallow block and concrete , now a nice house ..
  You should spend 6 months there first and Rent only .. and move
  around to several Islands , until you find a suitable area and
  Rent again ... I am in a Remote area in Northern Samar , but
  there is food and goods Markets , so its OK . The cooked Food
  is much better in Thai or Vietnam ... You will have to educate
  them how you like your food cooked ... Living There is easy .
  You can arrange a flight out, for 12 months later and just renew
  Your Visa at any Immigration office there, every 59 Days ....
  Ofcoarse if you get Married Its OK To get a permanent residence
  Also You Can get a 12 month Visa before you go there and it
  will save a lot of time and Peso , But you still check in to
  Immigration every 59 days and you can also fly in and out as
  You require Legally No Foreigner can own a House and Lot , so
  it Must go into Her name Or a Company and You take out a 25 x
  25 Year Lease from Her for the Land , You can own the house
  You can also Own a Condo or a Townhouse in your Name .. I
  Just started up a Piggery , a 60 ft shed and 10 ft Yards so
  with 60 Pigs she can work and have an income to look after me
         Good luck ... With Care its FANTASTIC LIVING THERE

Also Medical fees are cheap but dont cover more than 40%, that i Know of.. She should Have Medical cover and can also help you there
it only Costs about 1200 peso for cover For 1 Year But insurance cover you will have to arrange seperate ...Don't get sick, STAY Healthy and Don't have an Accident ..... I get My Retirement next
Year , can't wait ... Cheers

Ken.  I still have your message here from last December.  Has there been any progress with Ada since then?  Did you ever contact Dave at the website I recommended: philippinesplus.com He seems like a guy that would be willing to help out with whatever you need. He lives on Iloilo, which I believe is where Santa Barbara is, but it's hard to tell sometimes here because there are many places with the same name.  There are several ways to stay in the PI and us expats do it all those ways.  If you want to find out maybe the best way for you, check out this website: philfaqs.com.  He has tons of answers on his website and if you can't find it there, contact him.  He is good.  His name is Dave also.  In fact he has lots of information on annulments in the Philippines on his site.
Well I hope things work out for you.  Maybe someday we'll meet and I'll let you buy me a beer or two or three.
Good luck and don't let the aswangs bite.

UJ, I am afraid I have been so busy since last December that I haven't done anything with this blog but I am going to have to change that. Ada is still at a standstill with her annulment over there. Her lawyer died and now she has a new one who took over the business of her last one. I own land there with her and a small house. In a year and a half I will be old enough to collect US Social Security. We will see what happens by then.
I appreciate your concern and your help. I would like to write more but I have to get ready to go to work now.

Thanks So Much, Ken