Looking to move to panama and set up a bar

hi
i've been traveling around south america solo for a year and am looking at moving to panama and setting up a bar/cafe there

does anyone have any advice etc. to help get me started?

thanks!
marla.

Hi Marlalise

I ran bars and restaurants in South Africa, my one question is have you done something like this before
or is this your first venture into the hospitality industry?

My advice is don't buy an existing business until you have been there everyday for at least a month.
Get an external auditor to check the books of a business and find out from the businesses suppliers what their relationship is like.

Find out  who the regulars are and what they like.

If you are starting fresh, do at least 6 months market research on the area you want to open in before acquiring your property, buy your equipment second hand if possible except your fridges buy them new and make sure they come with a service plan for the first 5 years. Make sure you maintain your fridges ie clean the condensers twice weekly. Don't pay your staff peanuts they will steal from you. And do stock take everyday.

I don't know anything about opening a bar in Panama but if you do your homework and look after your staff you should be fine.

Good luck and let me know if you open I will hopefully be there sometime in 2014

Greetings Flower 2105 and Marlalise,

Great advice Flower.   

I worked in my families Bar/Hotel businesses in

Buffalo, New York, and here in Sarasota, Florida.   

I wish to move to Panama to work and to learn Spanish.

I have to work in order to do so, so I soon start researching

how I will make this happen. 

I have an American friend that lives in David, Panama.

I hope to keep in contact with others who have similar plans.

Farewell for now,    Kevincharles

Kevin - I was born and raised in Buffalo, NY.  I live here now in Boquete (about 30 minutes outside of David) if you want any information on this area.

Maralise - What you didn't say was what part of Panama you wanted to start a business in. 

Flowers advice is spot on.  Especially here in Panama.  You have to be unique in what you offer.  If you come here and offer what the locals already have here in place they will cut you off at knees. This is not a place that does well with the "Starbucks on every corner mentality".  There is no room for that here.  Where you will build your business will be the most important part of this equation and who is your target demographic?  Many of the bars here even in Boquete cannot have live music or must get a music permit for every week.  Beer is .50 a can and you can buy wine very cheaply (which is why so many people move here, they can drink way more cheaply here than in the US for example).  So what makes your bar special?  Follow what Flower said.  It's very good advice.

Thanks everyone for the back up, it's nice to know my advice is sound, opening a bar/cafe is the same everywhere you live and die by your regulars. As soon as you can get a good regular base you will have money in your pocket and not a day before. If the booze is cheap you must offer a niche that does not go too wild. It seems from my research so far that many people go to panama to retire. If you are clever you could target this market by researching what retirees like in a bar/cafe. Maybe pub lunches, quiz nights and bingo nights nothing too late night. Of course it wouldn't help to get involved in the community too. Maybe do fund raisers for the local child welfare if you are a cafe (you have to be pc about these sort of things and follow the correct channels) or sponsor some bins in a park.

Auntie flo
I can't wait for some of that wine, I'm currently teaching in Thailand and the wine is terribly expensive.
I want to come to panama in 2014 to teach. Do you know any English teachers there?

Flower - they have volunteers who teach English here.  Most people who 'retire' here actually are trying to learn Spanish and so Habla Ya is one of the best. 

You would need visa's and permits to teach here for a profit. Both very time consuming and expensive. 

There are a lot of expats who do 'social work' and give to charities here.  There is a very active Lions Club and a Rotary Club.  In fact Bid for Boquete raised about $75,000 for the local schools and charities here in Boquete last year.  So there are many, locals and expats, who give a lot back to the community. 

Expats only drink together to socialize.  Like I said the liguor is so cheap they can drink in their homes very easily.  What becomes the problem is when they drink starting with breakfast! :)

I've met a few people online who say they teach without work permit on tourist visa and get paid cash under the table. I know that's not legal but I'm South African and nobody wants us. I can't stay in my country anymore as the opportunity for my husband to get a job there is getting smaller and smaller.

Aw, I understand.  We came to Panama because of the cost of living. 

What does your husband do for a living?

We ran bars and restaurants together at home but I grew tired of the work. Wanted to do something that makes a difference to people's lives. He has run hotels and night clubs in the uk too but because he has no formal qualifications could not stay. In SA if you are white and male you are mostly jobless. I'm not being bitter it's just a fact affirmative action is totally against white men. So anyway, I am starting a degree in education next year and doing it online. He still wants continue in the hospitality industry as its his passion and he is brilliant at it. I learnt everything I know from him.

Ps please don't think I'm racist, I'm just stating the facts as they have happened to me. I like or dislike people on their behavior to myself and others.

Flower2105 wrote:

Ps please don't think I'm racist, I'm just stating the facts as they have happened to me. I like or dislike people on their behavior to myself and others.

Totally agree.  I do the same.   

Has your husband ever thought about becoming a certified International Tour Manager?  I am trying to get the company I trained with to do the training here in Panama next year.  They train Tour Managers, Step on Tour Guides and Tour Operators.  If you are here anyway and he is interested let me know.  Email me for particulars.  When I'm ready to advertise the event I'll post something on here to see if anyone else is interested. 

Best,

Florence

That's a great idea, thanks.
I will look into it. Please keep me posted.
Sorry how do I email you. I'm really new here. :)

Interesting! We just moved to David from Sarasota FL. I can't contribute anything on this subject, but wanted to say hi.

Kris

Kevincharles wrote:

Greetings Flower 2105 and Marlalise,

Great advice Flower.   

I worked in my families Bar/Hotel businesses in
Buffalo, New York, and here in Sarasota, Florida.   
I wish to move to Panama to work and to learn Spanish.
I have to work in order to do so, so I soon start researching
how I will make this happen. 

I have an American friend that lives in David, Panama.
I hope to keep in contact with others who have similar plans.

Farewell for now,    Kevincharles