Travelling to India for 4 months. Some advice needed.

Hi.

My partner and  I are currently in the process of planning a four month stint in India as tourists.
What city would you recommend to us in terms of saftey, cleanliness, most affortable etc... Our budget is AUD 2 thousand for the both of us for the whole four months which will cover all costs of the stay - not including flights, visa fees etc? We can stretch it to 3 thousand Dollars.
We were told to base ourselves in Banglore but were later told it is much more expensive than Mumbai and Dehli. Is this true and if so is it really that much more? We are now considering Mumbai, good option or shall we stick with Banglore? I have picked up the visa applications from the High Commission in Port Louis ( I currently reside in Mauritius as my partner is Mauritian - myself Australian) and the form does not ask about our address to be in India - however I assume still that this would be needed. So how does one go about organising short term accomodation before applying and leaving Mauritius? Ive browsed the web and seen vacation rentals but seem to be run by agents. Is this the best way to go? Is this a safe option? Or if possible do we just take a hotel for a week or two and organise long term accomodation when we are there?

Anyones help is very much appreciated.

Thanking you in advance,
worldtraveller.

Dear Traveller,

First of all you need to decide, what you want to see in India. Want to see mountains, back water, temples or metro cities.

Banglaore is southern to India and IT hub of the country. It is definately expensive to stay in Hotels. Indian star hotels are among the costliest around the world.

Between Mumbai & Bangalore, both are expensive cities. Best way to find out is going through classified. There are plenty of options in (PG - Paying Guest), which are reasonable and safe. DONT GO THROUGH AGENTS

Figure out, what you wanna see and can recommend you accordiangly.

Have a safe trip.

Best Regards
Anand

Anand.
Thank you for your reply.
Basically we want to stay in a city and use that as our base. We are unsure yet to where else in India we will travel to, but for now we are more interested about finding a city to base our selves.
I definitely agree with you regarding agents.
When you refer to Mumbai and Bangalore as expensive, is that in world standards or just for India?
Basically how much per month are we looking at to rent a room or small furnished apartment in Mumbai?

Edited to add - keeping in mind a budget of between AUD 2 to 3 thousand dollars for four months, what city do you recommend would be comfortable for us to stay in?

hello matey,

if you decide to keep new delhi as your base, i can mail you info about where to stay and the places to visit from here. the himalayas and lots more are within your reach from here.

lots of bed and breakfast opened up here. paharganj has loads of affordable hotels across all range. DON'T RUN INTO ANY AGENTS. better to hunt urself.

all the best for deciding. im from Kolkata. can also guide you on that part of India if you decide to stay there. bye. wish you a fab trip.

warmly, arnab

Even I suggest dont run into Agents...

Well to base and enjoy climate i suggest Pune as the best location. Here there are many expats and would be like home to you.
I am always their to help you.
you can reach me directly on my mail: [email protected] or feel free to call me anytime

Scallywagin,
Have also been thinking about Delhi as well over the past couple of days. There are just so many places to choose from its all very confusing haha.
I have been in contact with the High Com here in Mauritius and have been told that immigration does not require a whole 4 months of accomodation, so we are just going to get a hotel for two weeks or so then look into places when we are there - i think the best option.
I will send you an email if you dont mind.

Ravikhatri22 - yes I have heqrd of Pune, but have no idea about
this city so need to do some research. Again, is it expensive there compared to say Mumbai or New Delhi?
Will keep your email address close by incase I ever need it.

Thank you to both of you for your help thus far.

Pune is cheaper than Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore

Cheers, will definitely be checking Pune out. Have seen some photos over the net and looks nice, the population size of around three million also looks less stressful than Mumbai or Delhi's 13 mill.

I assume from Mumbai its not so far?

3 hours drive some 160km

hello mate,
if i were you, i would first decide upon what all i would like to cover during this trip. then chose a city accordingly and make it my base and keep travelling from there.
i guess for the first timers in India, north has much to offer. so delhi is a viable option.
im here. connect to me anytime buddy. would love to help you.

Hey Scallywagin.

Will definitely be making a trip to Delhi, so will keep i touch.
Looks like we going to try Mumbai, at least to start with and if we don't like it or it's a bad choice, we can move right.
There's some very attractive deals to Bombay at the moment from Mauritius and it ends up that my partner has a contact there, so will see how it pans out.

Worldtraveller.

Good you have a contact their, go ahead and try it.

Definitely going for it, off to the Air Mauritius office now to book, will see when we arrive in India if Mumbai was the best pick or not - nothing wrong with trial and error. I'm very excited to be visiting India in the coming months.

Sorry to bring this topic back up.

I seem to be mixed up into a little bit of confusion. Has anyone here traveled or no someone who has traveled to on a three to six month tourist visa to India? If so, when applying for your visa, did you show your FULL amount of accommodation for the whole time, or just a couple of weeks of hotel booking on your arrival?
I'm getting mixed responses to this question from the High Comm India here in Mauritius and from a friend, who said she never showed Immigration any accommodation details when she traveled only a month ago.

Cheers to anyone who can shed some light.