South African in Thailand saying hi

Hi everyone
I was wondering if there are any other South Africans around?
Also trying to find out as much about teaching English in Panama. Any help will be appreciated and paid forward.

Thanks all

Hello Flower2105.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

An introduction would be welcome.

Here is the list of South African expatriates in Thailand.

You can post your question about teaching on the forum Panama itself. ;)

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hi Aurelie

Sorry about the non intro been joining a few forums and can't keep track of where I have introduced and not.

I am currently teaching in Thailand just north of Bangkok. I have been doing for 4 months now and am enjoying it more every day.

I love sci fi and fantasy novels as well as classics. I'm not a big television watcher but if I do I prefer comedy or mystery.
I recently married the love of my life and plan on travelling till I can't move. At which point you are all invited to my tequila themed funeral. :)

Greetings Flower 2150,

I also am interested in teaching English in Panama.

Let's keep in touch and share information on this.

[email protected]

Farewell for now . .

Hi Kevin

Have you taught already or still thinking about it? Where abouts are you based?
I would love to hear what you have found. I will try send you some info I have already found.

Hi Flower and all,

We are Capetonians living in Koh Samui, we are English teachers down here.

Would love to ask you guys some advice as we have only been here a month today!

Vaughan

Fire away Vaughan, anything I can help with I will. I don't know koh Samui very well I only spent a week there.

Thanks so much Flower!

We spent 2 nights in Bangkok, 3 in Phuket and 3 in Lanta (our fave by far) by the time we arrived in Samui we had started looking for jobs - the recruitment agency we got our TEFL through wasnt really living up to their "guaranteed placement" promise so, as good South Africans, we took matters into our own hands :)

Basically we have had part time hours paying fairly well and just today my Wife secured a contracted position.

We thought we had a week left to go on our border run but it turned out it our Visa actually expired today (whoops), anyhow - after spending a good deal of money and time at the immigration office to extend our tourist visa for a whole one week we have decided to find out just how this visa story works.

insert multiple google searches here

Have found out that our border run idea would only buy us two weeks at a time which isn't really worth it. We seem to have to leave the country for a few days so that we can apply for the Official Tourist Visa that we should've applied for in SA - but didn't.

All i really want to as is - how? and is this how it works? Actually there are loads of Q's but my mind is swimming right now.

What did you do? where do you live and are you also teaching?

Thanks so much for the familiar "face" and extension of help!

Vaughan

Hi Vaughan

Ok, first things first are you on Skype will make things easier. If you can private message me your address I will add you.

Now, what visa did you come on and as you say it expired today you need to act quick.
I hope you have some cash reserve.

Best advice I can give you is start heading to Bangkok. You need to get up to Laos to apply for a double entry visa. From here it will be best to speak on Skype as it gets a bit convoluted. Tomorrow morning go get visa photos done make photo copies of your passports and book a ferry and bus trip to Bangkok.

Flower you legend - I actually just got your skype address before you wisely edited the post.

I will add you in the morning. We bought ourselves a week this afternoon by getting an extension but it was pretty costly (well 1900 each) but we cant go on paying that every week.

Will definitely send you a skype message and we would love to hear all you have to offer.

So stoked we found this Expat site and that a helpful saffer is registered.

Have a great night! its off to bed in Samui :)