I will move to Jeddah, need advice!! :O)

hello all! I will move to Jeddah in about a month. I am a mexican single female and will go to jeddah alone (no husband, kids or any family) I am going to work in KidZania. I am excited about this opportunity but I hav a lot of questions like what can and canŽt do, for example I know i wont be able to drive but can a woman walk aound the city by herself? going to a store? I also know I will have to wear the Abaya, but I am not sure if it is worn over regular clothes or if it is like a dress? and also about banks which brands can I find there?

Thank you all for your comments if you have any information you can share with me I appreciate it, and hopefully IŽll meet some of you soon.

karla!

:0)

When you arrive.at the airport buy a line to use. You won't be able to buy one once you leave the airport. You won't be able to get one if you try to come back.

You will need 150 sr for taxi if your driver doesn't show up, which may happen. So get info on where you'll be staying.

If your not getting an accommodation and ur getting the allowance then this is the toughest. Let me know and I'll give you details my dear.

Sat and sun is the weekend.

You won't have much entertainment so get your laptop filled with things to watch. 

If your working for a private institute payments are made errr..not made....lol.   Very late. My mom gets paid every 50 days.  So take out a loan if you need.

Be sure to cover your hair if you don't like to be bothered.

KFC meals are 15 sr
Hardee's meals are between 18-22 sr
A small bottle of water is 1 sr
Bread is different also 1 or 2 sr
Electricity is about 50 sr

There's no winter here. Always hot.  Not humid at the moment
Taxi try to rip you off. If its not far its 10sr. They will try to take 30.  Just walk away then he ll start begging u to come back for the price you want. They will try to have a conversation.  Avoid it. Don't answer any questions.

What's up is a cool application.  Zain is for free. You don't need wifi nothing. People will say its free on stc and mobily. ITs not.!! My friends and I tried it.

I wish I was told all this...

For Iqama ull need pictures.   When you give ur passport ask for a stamped copy of your passport. 

Goodluck

t.unit wrote:

What are you talking about? Thursday and Friday are the weekend in KSA.

And as far as late payments, I was always paid on time (guess it depends on your company).  You will have to open a bank account in the bank that your company uses and they will deposit your salary there.

In Jeddah, especially, you really won't have to worry about covering your hair if you're not Muslim.

Please read all the threads regarding living in Jeddah/KSA and you'll get all the answers you seek.

Good luck!

Alliecat wrote:
t.unit wrote:

What are you talking about? Thursday and Friday are the weekend in KSA.

And as far as late payments, I was always paid on time (guess it depends on your company).  You will have to open a bank account in the bank that your company uses and they will deposit your salary there.

In Jeddah, especially, you really won't have to worry about covering your hair if you're not Muslim.

Please read all the threads regarding living in Jeddah/KSA and you'll get all the answers you seek.

Good luck!

Yea I made a mistake about weekend. Haven't got used to it yet. I'm new.   About covering your hair. I said if you didn't wa nt to get bothered.  Too many stare.. I hate them.  You don't experience this anywhere.  It's not about religion at all.   Your free to do what you want but you won't be left alone.  They ll def bother you.

My mom works at a private uni.  And it sucks.  But as I said, it's every 50 days.

I will move to Jeddah in about a month.
>> I am in Riyadh, and I hear Jeddah is much more relaxed then Riyadh. It's a coastal city to Red Sea. So if u like snorkeling etc. I think u wud have good time. Also it has lots of options in restaurants / cuisines .

I am a mexican single female and will go to jeddah alone (no husband, kids or any family)
>> Well Saudi Arabia doesn't really provide too many avenues for singles to mingle. So u wud be mostly with ur own gender, and only escape is having an invite by some resident to visit a compound. These r gated housing strictly, open only to residents and their visitors. Inside u can socially mingle, go arnd without Abaya, play ,swim , party  etc.

questions like what can and canŽt do, for example I know i wont be able to drive but can a woman walk aound the city by herself?
>> U can go arnd but typically try to do in small groups of 2-3, like visitng malls etc. Ur roadside shops - offcourse u can walk across and pick stuff. Just tht u don't see many females walking arnd alone , it's not restricted but depends on ur comfort.

I also know I will have to wear the Abaya, but I am not sure if it is worn over regular clothes or if it is like a dress?
>> Think of it as a overcoat :). It covers u shoulder down. If u can, try procure one before u land here. Once u reach to ur accommodation from the airport, then u can't step out without one. So in case u don't have it, u might have to ask someone to buy for u as u won't be able to step out.

and also about banks which brands can I find there?
>> There's only 1 international bank here - HSBC called as SABB here. Apart from tht u have 4-5 large local saudi banks.

Carry enuf dollars since it may be a month before u Get ur salary. Dollars can be exchanged easily for Riyals at plenty of exchange houses spread across every city.

Kymadoce wrote:

Once u reach to ur accommodation from the airport, then u can't step out without one.

Okay, this isn't really true.  If you wear a long loose-fitting skirt and a loose fitting blouse that covers your bum you'll be okay but first stop should be to get the abaya just to meld in :)

Best of luck!

karlamelia. Dont worry its not as bad as what you would presume. We  all survive here. U need an abhaya, get one from your country, especially since you are coming alone and coming for the first time, you might get intimidated easily. So get that abhaya, helps u blend in.

You cannot drive here, but definetely can walk around to go to stores nearby, but people dont usually walk around as its hot. Be ready to be stared upon. Poeple stare like crazy.

Abhya is worn over normal clothes. U can wear anything under it from Jeans to a dress. So women here get ready faster than man at times, coz they can just wear an abhya over their causal dress to go out for grocery shopping.

Never forget the expat-blog link, this site will be you life blood when you do arrive.

Referring to walking around in jeddah.   On my first wk I didn't even have an abbaya and I walked around. Nothing happened. No one said anything. However there quiet few disturbances.  People throwing words at you, and staring.   

I'm saying that you need to cover up if you want to avoid it.  Otherwise jeddah allows you to be free up to a point.   Now I cover my hair.  I feel happy.  Less disturbed.   I see uncovered woman how annoyed they are... Rolling eyes.. Cause they feel disturbed an they don't want to cover their hair.... It's up to you....

I had a friend who thought she could wear the abaya in only her undies when it was hot.  Found out, to her dismay, that you can see through the abaya when you're in the sunlight :lol:  (You want to talk about people STARING?  She reports that there was a line of men following her as she ran for a cab!)

Alliecat wrote:

I had a friend who thought she could wear the abaya in only her undies when it was hot.  Found out, to her dismay, that you can see through the abaya when you're in the sunlight :lol:  (You want to talk about people STARING?  She reports that there was a line of men following her as she ran for a cab!)

Lol I was wondering about that....I'm glad she's safe lol made it to the cab..

As a non-Muslim, I am not obligated to cover my hair and since it's one of the few freedoms I have, I don't cover.  I'm  blonde, fair skinned.  Do people stare?  Yes, so what?  Hope they get a good look *lol*

I also feel quite comfortable going out by myself (I never was much for traveling in a 'pack') and have never had a problem.

You'll be in Jeddah and it's much less conservative than Riyadh so you won't have a problem.

t.unit, if you're female, you should be using the pink avatar :)

Alliecat wrote:

As a non-Muslim, I am not obligated to cover my hair and since it's one of the few freedoms I have, I don't cover.  I'm  blonde, fair skinned.  Do people stare?  Yes, so what?  Hope they get a good look *lol*

I also feel quite comfortable going out by myself (I never was much for traveling in a 'pack') and have never had a problem.

You'll be in Jeddah and it's much less conservative than Riyadh so you won't have a problem.

I never said anyone is obliged to.

Alliecat wrote:

Yea I've to go and edit...

t.unit wrote:
Alliecat wrote:

Yea I've to go and edit...

t.unit so you are a female, and here I was talking to you like you were a guy about the iPhone 5. oops

t.unit wrote:

I know you didn't :) 

But I want to make it clear that it's her choice.  Some people object to being stared at and others don't give a flying fig.  On principle, I'm one of the 'don't give a flying fig' types.

Most Filipinas in Riyadh don't cover their heads, either.  Of course, there are occasions when we're in a mall and all trying to out run the mutaween :lol: but in a sense, it's actually rather amusing (they 'get' you, you cover for a nano-second and as they turn on their heels to chase somebody else, you remove the scarf.  I've never quite understood the rationale to this--seems to me they could be doing something more constructive--for example, a kind of neighborhood watch to prevent the VICE of all the cars being stolen!!!  But that's just my opinion ;)  )

Alliecat wrote:
t.unit wrote:

I know you didn't :) 

But I want to make it clear that it's her choice.  Some people object to being stared at and others don't give a flying fig.  On principle, I one of the 'don't give a flying fig' types.

Most Filipinas in Riyadh don't cover their heads, either.  Of course, there are occasions when we're in a mall and all trying to out run the mutaween :lol: but in a sense, it's actually rather amusing (they 'get' you, you cover for a nano-second and as they turn on their heels to chase somebody else, you remove the scarf.  I've never quite understood the rationale to this--seems to me they could be doing something more constructive--for example, a kind of neighborhood watch to prevent the VICE of all the cars being stolen!!!  But that's just my opinion ;)  )

I've never bumped into a mutawah here...  So wow. I thought they were in Riyadh .

About constructive watch -agreed.

On principle- lol.  :). It's kewl u feel comfy..

I gtg run .   Byes

I'm in Riyadh.. much more conservative than the coastal cities :)

Hi - I'll support most of what has been said - you have received contrary advice on a couple fo things because a few of your decisions will be determined by your own personality as well as the requirements of your employer (they are your 'guardian' here) and the conditions of your contract.

Pay - we've never had a problem - it should go in every month to a bank account - but if a private business I know there have been problems with some private employers paying on time.

Abaya - no you don't need one when you arrive but you should dress conservatively (long trousers/sleeves, loose fitting) until you get one - but you will attract attention - if you don't want the attention then get one before you arrive (if you can). Ditto for covering your head - I get stared at all the time because I am blond and don't cover up - but really it isn't THAT bad in Jeddah - much worse in the smaller more conservative places. But thats me - I ignore any staring and the shouts/comments/harassment is also mostly easy to deal with by ignoring it - but if it makes you feel more comfortable there is nothing to stop you covering your head - it just makes you blend in more.

Going out by self - again I go to most shopping centres and souks in Jeddah by myself during the day - there is nothing to stop you from going - but again it is nice to go with someone so you have someone to talk to! There are some places that I wouldn't go by myself - but that is also true in other countries as well! So, you can go by yourself if you want, but you might like to go with friends.

Being single here is hard until you find some friends and depending upon where you are living and the conditions of your employer you may have restrictions placed on you. I have single female friends that are autonomous here and can do as they wish - but I also know that for some (my experience is single Saudia flight attendants) they are not able to have male friends or relatives visit them within their female only compound, they have a curfew and a dress code for when they leave their compound.

Good luck!

Alliecat wrote:

I'm in Riyadh.. much more conservative than the coastal cities :)

Wow I thought you were obliged to. So u made it clear.

Dragonladyoz pretty much re-confirmed what I'd said and I think we'd be good friends if we lived in the same city :)

I ignore any staring and the shouts/comments/harassment

Ironically, I live in the more conservative city but there have never been any shouts, comments or harassment.  Stares, yes--but I assumed they were just admiring my beauty lol

Hi again!! I thank you all for your comments and answers. My employeer seems to not have many restrictions. So weekends are thursday and fridays, and the abhaya goes over regular clothes, thatŽs ok with me. I have another question regarding this, is it allowed to use sandals or open shoes? what about make up? and accesories?

I will be located in a compound but I dont know it will be a female one.

Does things like scuba diving can be done by myself?

And @t.unit when you say I should by a line at the airport, what do you mean? cell phone?

thank you all!! i really appreaciate the time to answer this.. :)

karlamelia wrote:

Hi again!! I thank you all for your comments and answers. My employeer seems to not have many restrictions. So weekends are thursday and fridays, and the abhaya goes over regular clothes, thatŽs ok with me. I have another question regarding this, is it allowed to use sandals or open shoes? what about make up? and accesories?

I will be located in a compound but I dont know it will be a female one.

Does things like scuba diving can be done by myself?

And @t.unit when you say I should by a line at the airport, what do you mean? cell phone?

thank you all!! i really appreaciate the time to answer this.. :)

If you have a cellphone you would just need a sim, a number to use.  Until you get your iqama you won't be able to get anything.  Tel line, bank account, transfer money.

However, you can transfer money at the Alamoudi until u get the iqama.  It is located at the ballad.

According to your convenience you can wear whatever you want:make up, sandels, etc..  It's sooo hot that everyone wears sandals.  :).  If your online noe it's 6.40 am in the morning.  I wouldn't advise you to wear makeup lol...at least lipstick...ull decide when u arrive.

Are you getting accommodation or housing allowance?

Scoobadiving???? Lol I don't think so, but I'll step aside for this question to be answered... If the answer is yes well then let us know where... There should be a nice beach but I'm thinking u can't go in...

Ok zzzz back to bed.

You can dress anyway you want in the privacy of your home and under your abaya. 

As for work, there may be policies (for example, usually teachers cannot wear sandals/open-toed shoes, but it's dependent on the school).

I only wear sandals around the place! Almost every second store here seems to be a makeup or perfume place so there is no problems wearing it if you want to - a fair few of the locals (whose faces you can see!) are quite heavily made up - the only problem is the heat - you may sweat it all off! Ditto accessories - running at about even with makeup and perfume stores would be shoe shops and handbag places - with the number one shop types being jewellery and clothing.

Yes you can scuba by yourself - I have a friend who went a few weeks ago when her husband was away - you just book through one of the scuba companies.

You will need a SIM card or you will pay international rates - but you don't need to wait for an iquama - you can purchase a SIM using your passport and your entry visa, although you may need to give them your iquama number once you get it.

You should have a bank account open at home so you can transfer money back - just make sure you have a visa debit card linked to the account - that will give you access to money here until you get a local bank account and your first pay - without the hassle of having to transfer cash and getting too/from a money exchange place - as a woman this place can be very hard to get around!

Alliecat I think we would be very good friends if we were in the same city! :D One of our local malls tends to be a location that young guys are always sitting/driving past - they like to yell out "I love you" and "Marry me" and similar!!!!! Other than that I don't have too many issues!

dragonladyoz wrote:

they like to yell out "I love you" and "Marry Other than that I don't have too many issues!

Hmmmm.. that's the kind of 'sexual harassment' I like! :D  (ever been to Egypt?!? lol)

thank you all!!! your answers are helping me alot. I need to find out somethings with my employer. I think this will be a great experience, and this blog will be like my survival guide!! thank you!! :)

Alliecat - No - but have been to Indonesia - young guys there do this sort of thing too....... my personal favourite is "You're beautiful":D

Dear Karlamelia,

I will move to Jeddah within summer of 2013. So until now I have collected many information about the city and the way of living.
First of all you can not drive and you you will have to use taxi, or personal drivers. A normal driving distance about 20 minutes will cost about 15Euros (use a converter for dollars, almost the same amount I would say).
The abaya is like a black long dress lets say (there are many qualities and designs but the cost varies) and you have to wear it when you are in public.When you will arrive at the airport you do not have to wear an abaya but it is better if you wear a shirt with all the buttons buckled and a long skirt so all the sensitive to the men eyes spots are covered.The issue is not to be provocative.
If you live in a compound (the best idea for non-Arabic citizens for many reasons) where Western people usually live you do not have to wear abaya but your regular clothing.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have more questions.

Best Regards and Good Luck
Katerina

dragonladyoz wrote:

Alliecat - No - but have been to Indonesia - young guys there do this sort of thing too....... my personal favourite is "You're beautiful":D

That would be mine, too :top:

@kat  excuse me if I'm wrong, but weren't all these point already made (and by people who live here)?

And, BTW, you're wrong about cab fare (it's less than half of what you said).

When using a private taxi service (slightly more expensive than the local dodgy taxis) earlier in the year I would pay SR30 (6 euros) for a 20-30 ride either to my kids school or one of the bigger shopping centres and the same return. From the airport to my compound is about 1/2hr-45min depending on the traffic (its one of the furthest compounds from the airport) costs SR70 (14 euro).

@dragonladyoz  Yes, that's been my experience, as well, and also with the more expensive limos, so less than half the price she quoted.

hi 

I'm Saudi  guy and I can help you when you get here in Jeddah if you want to    just contact me

I wish you have nice visit in my country

Abed1 wrote:

hi 

I'm Saudi  guy and I can help you when you get here in Jeddah if you want to    just contact me

I wish you have nice visit in my country

That's so very nice of you, Abed1, but I'm sure she'll have all the help she needs through co-workers and other expats from this forum :)

mmm Abed1 I main be wrong - but in my experience and that of my friends your kind of help is generally not wanted by single females.......

dragonladyoz wrote:

mmm Abed1 I main be wrong - but in my experience and that of my friends your kind of help is generally not wanted by single females.......

Exactly ... and he certainly knows it.  I don't mean to be rude, BUT [and what follows is always rude lol] it seems that Saudi guys often come to the EB offering help to single expat females in the hopes that the women won't realize yet they can get into big trouble.

You also get hit on a lot by male Saudi co-workers when you first arrive (at least I was) because they, too, are hoping to move in and take advantage before you know what's acceptable here.

First off, welcome to my city. In here you can go to the stores and shopping malls no big deals. There are some certain resorts and places in here which you could feel absolutely free. However the downside is that you won't be able to drive around, you will have to wear Abaya which is the black dress for women but you still can wear whatever beneath it or not that's up to you. Try to avoid the crowded places which is full of Saudi youngsters-since I'm one of them- most of the time they misbehave but they mean and do no harm but it's irritating. The place that you gonna be working at is great.

PS: the life style of western expat in here is the best environment to save a decent amount of money, so it's worth it!

Hello all!
Finally the date has been set... I will be on KSA on monday, i will spend a week on Riyadh and then I will go to Jeddah. I dont know yet where am i going to live.
i have just one more question does anyone know where can I buy an abaya near the Dubai airport??
Thank you all for taking the time to answer my questions...

See you soon!!
Karla!!

HI Karlamedia!

without the Iqama you wont be able to do much here in the Kingdom because it is required for almost any procedure... How long it will take to have it depends a bit on how agile is your employer ... One of the things you will learn when you arrive is that there is no such thing called "reproducible procedure"  here :) , So  you will find many things that does not make sense specially if you come from a, let's say, well manage country :)

Scuba diving.. ohhh yeah.. It's plenty of scuba diving here. It is one of the preferred activities here and you will find a several of places to do it, specially in private resorts where you dont need to cover and can wear your standard bikini :) 

If you want, feel free to private message me in Spanish if u prefer.

best!

M.