Might go to Jakarta for University

Anyone happen to know anything about Binus International Uni?

Would anyone happen to know if Jakarta is westernized? Well as close as it can be in Indonesia, anyways.

What's the salary like for a Business/Information systems graduates, if anyone has an idea? I know the salaries are supposed to reflect the costs of living, but how would an Indonesia go on vacation abroad, like seriously, or afford clothes and electronics.

I heard Indonesians are too laid back, don't take time management seriously, tend to avoid confrontation, and tend to tell you what they think is right, rather than verifying to make sure it is right. Is this actually true? Or is it the complete opposite in a professional workplace in Jakarta and other big cities?

How much would a car cost? Not an expensive one, the usual car an average uni student would have in the USA, for example.

Growing up in London with mates who were into clubbing and drinking, you can say that I've grown fond of it. I'm guessing alcohol/clubbing is bloody expensive over in Indonesia? If so, there goes one of the many pleasures of life =/

Hello Thequi.

Do not hesitate to browse the other threads on the Jakarta forum. ;)

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hello Thequip,

I am living in Jakarta, Why dont you try in any other university, i am going to Mercubuana University, Living in indonesia is not expensive, but it depends on you, if u can work properly you can get what you want...

Nice to meet you :)

Regards,
Diana

Thequip wrote:

Anyone happen to know anything about Binus International Uni?

It's big and a business with a very good reputation for investing in the students' needs.
No actual experience but I've seen inside two of their places and they look good.

Thequip wrote:

Would anyone happen to know if Jakarta is westernized? Well as close as it can be in Indonesia,

Not really. The roads are chaos but with wheels on them and the place is generally a tip but a tip with a soul.
I love it here and have no intention of moving.

Thequip wrote:

What's the salary like for a Business/Information systems graduates, if anyone has an idea? I know the salaries are supposed to reflect the costs of living

Expat salaries tend to be silly money, commonly 20 times minimum wage or much better.

Thequip wrote:

I heard Indonesians are too laid back, don't take time management seriously, tend to avoid confrontation, and tend to tell you what they think is right, rather than verifying to make sure it is right. Is this actually true? Or is it the complete opposite in a professional workplace in Jakarta and other big cities?

Indonesian tend to be so laid back, I'm shocked they don't fall over.
Time management? You're having a laff, no such thing here.
Indonesians tend to tell you what they think will make you happy. They aren't being bad when they lie, just trying not to hurt your feelings.
Western style work place rules tend to be reasonably strict.

Thequip wrote:

How much would a car cost? Not an expensive one, the usual car an average uni student would have in the USA, for example.

New cars start at over Rp100 million, cost a fortune to run and you'll sit in traffic jams for hours. If you have a bump, expect to get absolutely fleeced regardless of who was at fault.
A UK licence is no good so you'll have to do the test (not) and pay the 'official' (not) fee of Rp5 or 600,000.
That gets you a test pass, medical check pass and SIM A (Car licence) without having to soil your hands with a pen, a medical examination or doing any driving.

Thequip wrote:

Growing up in London with mates who were into clubbing and drinking, you can say that I've grown fond of it. I'm guessing alcohol/clubbing is bloody expensive over in Indonesia? If so, there goes one of the many pleasures of life =/

Alcohol is pretty freely available but not free as it's taxed as much as the government think they can get away with.
The major downsides of boozing are:
It'll cost you a bomb
You get pestered by ladies with one agenda or another. By that, I mean pros or gold diggers.

Want to see more?

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 573#527221

Dianadevita wrote:

Hello Thequip,

I am living in Jakarta, Why dont you try in any other university, i am going to Mercubuana University, Living in indonesia is not expensive, but it depends on you, if u can work properly you can get what you want...

Nice to meet you :)

Regards,
Diana

Hi ^_^

Well Binus University attracted me as it offers various degrees with English as the medium of instruction, as well as a double degree program abroad (Australian+Indonesian degree in 4 years). I'm guilty of judging a book by its cover first. In this case, I'm looking for modernised campuses and techonologically up to date facilities; which Binus seems to have. Plus, their website was refined and easy to navigate.

Yeah I figured, costs should be alright.

@Mas fred. I was rather talking about salaries for Indonesian graduates, don't know if you know about them though. Ah, I figured the traffic might be a problem. Unfortunately I'll have to adjust to a non-alcoholic uni life, bugger.

As for your link, I actually went through its entirety a few weeks ago. Loved all the pics and the witty comments :D

The new Binus in Alam Sutera, South Tangerang is about as modern as you can get.
The place is about a year or so old, is bang next to a large shopping mall and an easy trip to another very western mall where food of all varieties is available.
Loads of very reasonable, cheap housing with security guards and so on within a short walk or motorbike ride.
If you chose Binus, Alam sutera, I can find you a house in easy range. Loads around at about Rp20 million per year (about 1,300 quid).
Transport from the places I have in mind would be micro bus at first but a small step through motorbike can be cheap and fast.

The pop.
You can get booze in local mini marts, supermarkets and pubs.
The latter, as in the UK, tend to be the most expensive.

but some time it is heard to find what u r looking for because life is full of tricks but u have to respect it  with honesty fearlessly

I give you information for your reference:

Univeristy of Indonesia in Jakarta,  ITB  in Bandung, Gajah Mada University  in Jogyakarta.