Registering at the Policia Federal

Hello folks,
I am on a VITEM I visa which is valid for 90 days. I am actually only staying for less than 60 days. The visa was free and it seems ridiculous now to pay 300r plus all the paperwork for less than 2 months.

I know I have to register the the FP, but I am wondering what are the fines if I don't register? Will I be flagged? Will they check that I have registered when I leave?

And if I register, do I have to do it in the same city where my visa is associated, or can I do it in another city but always in the same state?

Thank you in advance for any feedback.

I don't think you will have to pay anything to register.  I'm not sure if you will be in trouble if you don't register. It's better to comply than to face any problems later.

Jim

That visa request form is pretty important, try to get another copy from the cnsulate that issued the visa or there is a head office in Sao Paulo where you can order it but it takes a month....this hapened to me...I was on good terms with my consulate and they gave a copy to my mom who fed exed it

I understand but I would like to know what any fines or consequences might be, it must be stated somewhere.

If you don't register at the PF you will not get any fine for overstay as long as you don't exceed your visa limit. Registering at the PF is not a difficult thing to do and it is the right thing to do. I f you insist on not doing it you probably won't get into much trouble.

Jim

Hi just  recently  got  my  Viper   here  in the  UK.  I'm  returning  to  Brazil  in May.  The  Consulate  gave  me  a Document  to give  to the  Federal Police.  Do I also  need  to  take  Marraige Certificate  and things? Or just  Passport , and document  and proof  of Gru payment?

jland912 wrote:

Instead of Arguing about the fine. I would process your paperwork for permanency as soon as you can get in. If you give then any problems or disagreements they may decide to ask for more documents. Your main concern right now is the permanency. They may not even worry about the fine. If they do I would pay it and move on. Yes, you should take a Portuguese speaker with you.

You could try another office of PF to see if you can do it earlier. Also, you might try just going there.

Jim

Hey Jim,

thanks for your input!
I wanted to let ya'll know that I have successfully registered my permanent visa.
I basically did as you said and didn't say anything about the fine. When asked about me being late to register (instead of 30 after entering the country I registered about 60 days after) I argued that I was traveling the North and could't register away form Rio where my given address was.
They didn't comment on it afterwards, were actually pretty nice about us being there with our baby and moved us up the line. So I didn't have to pay a fine at all.

Many thanks to all contributors!
Best, Max

So happy it worked out and thanks for letting us know by posting here. It helps others with similar situations.

Jim