Children allowances and tax free status for women

Hi,

I would like to ask about children allowances. What will I need in order to claim these?

I have also read that "Women returning to work after 5 years or after having children will maintain one year tax free status". I am going to work after having children although my husband is going to stay at home with children. Do you think this applies to me as well?

Thanks,
Jitka

how long have you lived in Malta ?

Are not in Malta yet. We are arriving in January.

I've not seen the details but I suspect it means 5 years in Malta of not working

Child allowance.  I'm not sure if it's a tax allowance or like in the UK a weekly payment, but thought the former

Must admit to thinking it was a very meagre weekly allowance paid in one go either at the end or start of the year

Would it not be a useful thing to check with your home authorities on this because I gather that if this is paid to you at home it may be transferable.
I wouldn't understand why Malta would pay this if you have already had the children before coming to Malta and not paid into their system.
I would imagine the funding for this would come from your home authorities.
I could of course be completely wrong :-)

i suspect you have to be paying something into the system by way of SSC to be eligible or maybe as you say redmik evidnece of having paid into the pot in your own home country

Hi Jitka,

the childrens allowance is dependent on your income in Malta .If you are earning more than about 24.000 € the minimum amount of 250 €/year/child applies, if you are earning less it could be more.

The amount is approx. 24.000 minus your yearly income X 0.06 (6 %) per child. So if you earn 18.000 €/year the amount would be 360 €/year per child.

You will need your income statement from the previous year to apply so that means you can only apply later.

Cheers
Ricky

Thank you all for your comments.

We do not receive any children benefits as we earn too much in the Czech Republic. But we will be eligible in Malta. I have been in contact with Maltese authorities and know what the earnings treshold is but I wanted to maybe here from other expats who have already claimed children benefits to see if the documents from their countries regarding earnings were sufficient.

Anyone knows more about tax free status, does if apply when coming from abroad?

Thank you.